Upgrading for snow wheeling : Brakes

Ghillie_Ohio

Observer
Looking to upgrade to 36 inches tires . What brakes / pads you recommend for upgrading , to handle larger tires ? Planning to switch back to smaller tires for non winter and commuting driving .

98roamer

Explorer
Are to say without knowing more details.

I drive a 98 4Runner and went with Brembos rotors and Hawk pads. I kept with stock calipers for now. I also only moved to a 32" AT.

Ghillie_Ohio

Observer
In a way you answer my question . I knew what i would put on a car , but wasn't sure if there wasn't something better for a truck.

corax

Explorer
Hawk LTS pads are my friction material of choice. That said, there are also other brake upgrades you can make depending on what you drive - some years have bigger calipers and rotors you can swap in from other models

RusherRacing

Adventurer
I have been a huge fan of the higher end Raybestos brand stuff.

I run one of the race compounds on our chumpcar (24hr endurance road racer) and they last an entire event and then some! Absolutely amazing pads. The last two vehicles when the stocks were shot, I went with the Raybestos Professional Grade. Been very impressed so far!! My dad maintains/manages a fleet of delivery vans (they rack up 1,000,000 miles before they are sold off) and uses only the Raybestos stuff.

I used to used to use Hawk in a varity of compounds before I made the switch. I actually am still running Hawk HP+ pads on the vette currently.

As for Rotors they are all made out of CPM (Chinese Pot Metal) and it doesn't really matter what brand you go with. Don't over heat them for the first few thousand miles and they won't crack or warp as easily. With the chump car we actually prefer to use good junkyard rotors as they last longer than CPM rotors you get from the parts houses.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
corax has it right with the hawk LTS pads. i had them and they were great. i have cheap autozone pads and they are TERRIBLE.

i did the tundra upgrade on my 4runner, and it made a big difference. half that difference is the stopping power, the other half is the fact i havent warped them yet, unlike the stock brakes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles