PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a Tacoma but have questions...

salve7
12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
I have been looking at tacomas for a while now but have some questions before I decide. I have found a nice 2007 5-speed but it is only a 4 cyl... I don't tow anything (that could always change) and would consider it since it is less money, a five speed, and would get better gas mileage, but I am wondering if I will regret not having the extra power of a 6 cyl. Also are there any years I should be weary of and do you have any suggestions before I buy? Thanks for the help!

zolo
12-13-2011, 10:03 PM
From 05 on they are all pretty great years and all the trim levels and engines are very good and reliable.

I have an 06 4cyl. 5spd and while its great super reliable and pulls strong I have driven many of the V6s and I would prefer one at this point.
A 4 door with either a 6 spd or auto would be my choice at this point. The Auto trans is a good one and off road it's nice.

I really like the 4 door for the extra room.The 4 door only comes with a V6 while you can find an access cab with either motor.

If your planning on tires and adding additional gear the V6 is a better platform.
The "TRD OFFROAD" package gets you a rear locker and some nicer suspension from the factory.

They are great trucks and with such a strong after market support for parts and accessories you cant go wrong.

GTABurnout
12-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Funny thing is the V6 gets better gas miliage with the Auto then it does with the 6 speed.
I got the V6 and 4 door. I love the truck it perfect for what I need it for.

keezer37
12-13-2011, 10:39 PM
One consistent comment I've heard over the years is people wishing they would have gotten more of what they want. I say, if your budget permits, look beyond your immediate needs.

Owyhee H
12-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Toyota 4cyl 5speeds have been doing a great job for more than 30 years, why mess with success? If you are towing big loads then the V6 is the way to go but for light trailers and expedition loads the 4cyl is a dynamite engine.

I love my 4 cylinders of fury....

DirectDrive
12-14-2011, 05:37 AM
I have an 09 4cyl 4x4 5 spd and love it.
I purposely did not buy the V6 because of the dismal fuel mileage reports.
I'd rather have a full size if I'm getting 17-18 MPG.

The current 2.7 makes good power. I was pleasantly surprised at how it holds 5th gear, on cruise, in moderate grades.
I have a heavy cap and pull a drift boat with it.

I don't think I would want the 2.7 with an automatic, although for 2012 Toyota is now offering it in the double cabs.
If you like a stick and are a "manual person" the 2.7 Taco may be for you.
If you're an auto person, get the V6. If fuel mileage is not a big issue you may like the V6.
The 5 speed is an Aisin, has almost exactly the same shift points as my old Jeep.....love it and the 2.7 4x4 comes with 4:10's which make it snappy.

Not a fan of the 6 speed manual. It's a Getrag and geared very differently than the Aisin. I could get used to it, I suppose.
It's more of a truck tranny with a deep 1st gear, but 2nd is too high to start off with, IMO.

McTaco
12-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I bought an 09 access cab v6 6 spd, and if I had to do it again, I probably would have grabbed the 4cyl. From what I hear, the 5spd manual is a lot better, and I wouldn't find that hard to believe...The 6spd is hard to get used to, but it did get a lot better when I stepped up to 265/75/16s vs the stock 245/75/16s. There is also the throw out bearing issue, at 32k miles, I am starting to hear mine squeek.

As far as the trd offroad, the 8" e locker rear end is apparently rather weak. You can find a lot of testimonials from Tacoma owners regarding diff failures with it. An Sr5 with an arb seems to be the way to go.

TACODOC
12-14-2011, 01:38 PM
As far as the trd offroad, the 8" e locker rear end is apparently rather weak. You can find a lot of testimonials from Tacoma owners regarding diff failures with it. An Sr5 with an arb seems to be the way to go.

Few have wheeled their 05+ harder than I have and mine is holding up well. There was a bad batch of R&P's in the 05 model year that gave them a bad rap.

Get the options you want when you buy it, regret sucks.

Owyhee H
12-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Few have wheeled their 05+ harder than I have and mine is holding up well. There was a bad batch of R&P's in the 05 model year that gave them a bad rap.

The 8" has a long history of being quite strong, they have been using the diff for a long time. The 8" is the same as in the front of the venerable 80 series cruiser, but that came in a high pinion option.

I agree with TACODOC that get what you want up front, its easier and will cost less in the long run.

RockyMtnFamily
12-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Toyota 4cyl 5speeds have been doing a great job for more than 30 years, why mess with success? If you are towing big loads then the V6 is he way to go but for light trailers and expedition loads the 4cyl is a dynamite engine.

I love my 4 cylinders of fury....

x2 or whatever. I have an older 6 cylinder automatic in the full size truck platform. I am able to get 15/18mpg and have gotten 12mpg towing in the mountains and 24 hwy on my best day over the past 5 years.

Years ago I had a 1985 XCAB with 4 wheel drive, lifted and 33x12.50 tires. I was able to get 25mpg on the highway and got 21 mpg towing from Phoenix, AZ to Mazatenango, Guatemala (2500) miles. I was towing a truck that must have weighed more than the 85 as I was not able to exceed 50mph the whole trip. Aside from the handling aspect, the truck handled the trip fine and had enough power to do the job. That said, the newer trucks due to have a bigger 4 cylinder engine than my old one did.

Best of Luck in your decision.

Kevin

McTaco
12-14-2011, 02:59 PM

http://ToyotaOff-Road.com/showthread.php?p=64383

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/87921-rear-diff-failure-not-impressed.html

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173426

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35345

DirectDrive
12-14-2011, 04:45 PM
The 8" has a long history of being quite strong, they have been using the diff for a long time. The 8" is the same as in the front of the venerable 80 series cruiser, but that came in a high pinion option.

I agree with TACODOC that get what you want up front, its easier and will cost less in the long run.
It's the 8" with the E-Locker that is failing.
I believe mine has the 8.4" which is the preferred diff now in the Tacos. (No factory E-Locker in mine)

TACODOC
12-14-2011, 05:09 PM
http://ToyotaOff-Road.com/showthread.php?p=64383

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/87921-rear-diff-failure-not-impressed.html

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173426

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35345

Yes, lots of morons flogging their junk mercilessly and then crying online in disbelief that their R&P failed... go figure. What year Tacoma do YOU own or are you just relying on internet complainers to form your opinion?

For the record, in 2006 I blew my R&P at 35K... because I jumped the truck at the Expedition Trophy. No complaints here as it was covered under warranty, I just don't jump the truck anymore ;)

Don't believe the hype. If you take care of your truck it will take care of you - I'm over 100K on MY truck and it's been great.

Flagster
12-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Yes, lots of morons flogging their junk mercilessly and then crying online in disbelief that their R&P failed... go figure. What year Tacoma do YOU own or are you just relying on internet complainers to form your opinion?

Don't believe the hype. If you take care of your truck it will take care of you - I'm over 100K on MY truck and it's been great.

x2...I have almost 80K on my 2005 elocked double cab...never ragged on and obsessive maintenace but I have seen no problems...if I do i will fix it b/c it is a great truck...my opinion is things need maintenance...preventative and when things eventually break...and you should be prepared if the truck is off warranty...
Things go wrong...I think a little research helps with the buying but now a days with every broken diff, caved in motor mount, and blown head gasket getting documented on the internet forums, you can't buy anything for fear of it spontaneously combusting...
Even on TTORA how many total trucks have had problems out of the millions on the road...yes some probably don't get documented but these are still pretty good odds

TACODOC
12-14-2011, 05:20 PM
The only thing that seems to get documented are the complaints... so IMO the information available on forums is somewhat skewed.

trump
12-14-2011, 05:56 PM
The only thing that seems to get documented is complaints... so IMO the information available is skewed.

x2

To answer the OP's question... As far as the engine selection goes, it depends on your plans for the truck. If you plan to build it up and carry a lot of gear I'd pass on the 2.7L unless you crave the reliability and simplicity of that engine. After loading the truck down you'll be dreaming about that 4.0 every time. Don't get me wrong, it will push the truck down the road just fine, but the V6 is the right tool for the job. If you plan to leave it pretty much stock, then the 2.7L would probably be a good cost effective solution for you.

salve7
12-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I really don't plan on doing much to the truck other than some tires and a camper shell so I can sleep in it and throw all of my climbing/ camping equip in. I am trying to go look at a 07 5-speed but work is keeping me here for now. I like that everything in it is simple from roll down windows to manual locks so I guess I need to drive a few first and see what I think I need. I agree that I need to get all of the options up front because I am dumping my money into my old landie trying to restore it (although it hasn't needed much... I love diesels!). If I decide to get the locking dif I will prob have to go aftermarket anyways unless I want to wait until my subie really breaks down while I hunt down a better deal. The dealer I am going to try and see has a V6 extended cab as well though it is prob priced outside of what I want to pay. I'll try them both.

DirectDrive
12-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Here we clowned on my "Walmart Edition" Taco on a Seattle-area fishing forum.
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/713119/Searchpage/1/Main/63955/Words/walmart/Search/true/2012_HM_Steelheader_spotted_on.html#Post713119

The canopy works well for me in the camping mode. My goal is usually getting to remote fishing spots and spending 3 days on average.
The Taco serves as a base camp and we backpack out from there.

Good luck in your quest.

Logans91XJ
12-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I just read the thread from Direct Drive and I was seriously crying from laughing so hard! Love the harassment and banter! LOL

conscript88
12-15-2011, 02:05 AM
If you want a 6 get a 6. I have a 4 and i love it but theres lots of people out there who end up trading up because they get want they wanted the first around.

upcountry
12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Do it! Buy exactly what YOU want. Dont worry about the 1 million opinions on all the different Toyota forums. Do your own research (like you are doing now) and get what you want. Just remember after that thing is paid off, it's yours for the next 200k, so do it right the first time.

salve7
12-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Well I drove a couple and really liked the 2.7 so I bought it. It has plenty of power and did great on hills plus the 5-speed really sold me on it. I didn't get home until late last night but still took it down my boat ramp and played in the mud some. Prob should have told the detail guy not to worry with it but most of the truck was still shining. Thanks for all of the input and I guess I should introduce myself to the toyota crowd... Hello my name is Jay and I have an 07 Tacoma.

upcountry
12-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Congrats!

Owyhee H
12-15-2011, 07:50 PM
:26_7_2:

Danimal
12-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Hello my name is Jay and I have an 07 Tacoma.

Congrats, Jay! I wish you two a long and loving relationship.

Dan

DirectDrive
12-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Nice !
Now for some upgrades for the trail :)

salve7
12-17-2011, 07:53 PM
For the time being I am looking for a camper shell. Does anyone have any recommendations?

DirectDrive
12-17-2011, 09:25 PM
For the time being I am looking for a camper shell. Does anyone have any recommendations?
1. Snug Top
2. Leer
3. The rest

Owyhee H
12-19-2011, 01:42 PM

I just switched from a leer to an ARE. I traded up to get a matching color and windoors but I really like the ARE. I find the Leer fit for the 2nd gen taco to be a little weird, it hangs over the side quite a bit. The leer was very solid and worked well but the overhang drove me nuts.

Whatever you get I will say that all the hype about windoors is for a reason, they rock. They do add one more thing to break, and they have handles out the side of the truck to get caught/ cause more drag, but to me it is worth it. This is my first shell with windoors and luckily wont be getting another truck soon because I wouldnt want to live without them.

FYI all of the 2nd Gen shells for a standard bed will fit, they are identical for standard cab, access cab, and doubble cab long bed. The only 2nd gen shells that wont are for the double cab short bed.

upcountry
12-19-2011, 01:45 PM
I have a VISTA top with windoors. It is simple and I like it but like the previous post said the fit is like the Leer and hangs over quite a bit so it can be a challenge to align it. The VISTA was the generic top but is fiberglass and insulated. I added Gutter Feet from Thule to bolt on my gutter style rack.

Happy shopping.

Owyhee H
12-19-2011, 02:03 PM
To add to my earlier post. The mounting system on the leeer is MUCH better than the ARE. Both shells use the rail system to mount their tops but the parts and attachment for the leer is much more solid. The leer has mounts that stick out from the track adn the bolts go vertically clamping the shell to the bed. The leer mounts are solid aluminum and never moved on me.

The ARE mounts are horizontal bolts into plastic "crap" in the track. These mounts are cheap looking and break easily. The ARE mounts also dont add downward pressure to the shell to keep it from moving. The first weekend I had the ARE it shifted on me while playing in the snow. I have since made custom brackets to replace the stock equipment and I dont think the shell will be moving again.

I dont think there is really a quality difference between the two shells, they are just different. I traded because i got the windoors and matching paint, the cost difference in the trade was less than painting my previous shell. I am happy with the ARE but would have been just as happy with the Leer if it was the correct color.

deadbeat son
12-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Well I drove a couple and really liked the 2.7 so I bought it. It has plenty of power and did great on hills plus the 5-speed really sold me on it. I didn't get home until late last night but still took it down my boat ramp and played in the mud some. Prob should have told the detail guy not to worry with it but most of the truck was still shining. Thanks for all of the input and I guess I should introduce myself to the toyota crowd... Hello my name is Jay and I have an 07 Tacoma.

It's been over a week, and still no pics? :coffeedrink:

salve7
01-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Sorry for the pic situation! Ill add one or two when I am done at work. Can anybody tell me where to find the bed dimensions in exact inches and I found a camper shell from a contractor that I kinda like with locking cabinets on the side but I am wondering how to mount it on the truck. Usually I just used clamps but it looks like it will be a little more difficult with the 2nd gen plastic.

DirectDrive
01-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Usually I just used clamps but it looks like it will be a little more difficult with the 2nd gen plastic.
It's actually easier now with the OEM bed rails.
Those are the Unistrut-looking rails inside the top edge of the bed.

Caps (canopies) that are made for this new breed have clamps designed to work with the bed rails.....no drilling or C-clamping.
I would try to find a newer style canopy made for the bed rail attachment method.

salve7
01-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks. After rereading the posts I saw that and it makes sense. Is there any easy way to convert a top to this mounting style? The fellow who has the top had it on a 2005 Taco so I am assuming he has some system if they are the same bed types. He said it is 75" x 62.5" I believe although he called early this morning and I cant remember what I wrote down.

DirectDrive
01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks. After rereading the posts I saw that and it makes sense. Is there any easy way to convert a top to this mounting style? The fellow who has the top had it on a 2005 Taco so I am assuming he has some system if they are the same bed types. He said it is 75" x 62.5" I believe although he called early this morning and I cant remember what I wrote down.
2005 is the start of what's called 2nd Generation Tacoma so he has solved the riddle or he has a newer style canopy that is designed for the new rail system.

salve7
01-09-2012, 09:32 PM
After looking at the listing again it was a 2002 so I'm going to keep on looking. Here is a lot shot of my new truck. Nothing fancy yet.

upcountry
01-09-2012, 11:48 PM
I like those unpainted.fenders. wish they all were available with that option.

DirectDrive
01-10-2012, 05:36 PM
After looking at the listing again it was a 2002 so I'm going to keep on looking. Here is a lot shot of my new truck. Nothing fancy yet.
Looks great.

The nice, Fiberglas canopies such as Snug Top and Leer are spendy as you may well know.
Sometimes you can find them used for 1/2 price.....and that equates to about $1000.
The highest volume I've seen is on Tacoma World.....and that volume is not that high, but it's almost nil, elsewhere.
I would suggest posting a "Wanted To Buy" (WTB) ad over there and someone in your area might have one for a 2nd gen Taco.

For comparison I bought a new Snug for mine and it ran me about $2200....it's loaded... keyless, frameless, drop down slider, reinforced, load bearing roof, color matched. (Super Sport w/Sportsman package)

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2792/09taco.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/09taco.jpg/)

Danimal
01-10-2012, 07:35 PM
For comparison I bought a new Snug for mine and it ran me about $2200....it's loaded... keyless, frameless, drop down slider, reinforced, load bearing roof, color matched. (Super Sport w/Sportsman package)

Looks fantastic. Have any more photos of the top? I recall seeing other photos from your camping trip shown above, but can't locate them.

Dan

upcountry
01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Check out the "vista" product. Mine has held up well. Was around $1k new mounted with windoors.

DirectDrive
01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Looks fantastic. Have any more photos of the top? I recall seeing other photos from your camping trip shown above, but can't locate them.

Dan
Thanks.

A few more here :
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/713119/Searchpage/1/Main/63955/Words/Walmart/Search/true/2012_HM_Steelheader_spotted_on.html#Post713119

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/711343/Searchpage/1/Main/63851/Words/overhead/Search/true/Overhead_Rod_Rack.html#Post711343

salve7
01-12-2012, 02:40 AM
I like the tarp set up. That's more my style. What do you guys think about the canvas, retractable shells? I'm not really concerned with security so that wouldn't be a problem I'm just looking for a place to sleep. I can't remember the brand name but they are from a jeep place and fold back to leave the bed open. I'm a little concerned with how it mounts though. I'll try and find the link and post it.

salve7
01-12-2012, 02:42 AM
I like those unpainted.fenders. wish they all were available with that option.

Thanks. I like the black flares as well and had them on my rover before I sold it.

DirectDrive
01-12-2012, 02:43 PM
I like the tarp set up.
I have a 12' x 20' tarp that I will try some time. The 20' end will go over the canopy (takes 18' to get to the ground) and then 12' out which will give me 3' more coverage. I think that this might be the ideal size to fit my needs.