Wanting a Tacoma but have questions...

salve7

Adventurer
I have been looking at tacomas for a while now but have some questions before I decide. I have found a nice 2007 5-speed but it is only a 4 cyl... I don't tow anything (that could always change) and would consider it since it is less money, a five speed, and would get better gas mileage, but I am wondering if I will regret not having the extra power of a 6 cyl. Also are there any years I should be weary of and do you have any suggestions before I buy? Thanks for the help!

zolo

Explorer
From 05 on they are all pretty great years and all the trim levels and engines are very good and reliable.

I have an 06 4cyl. 5spd and while its great super reliable and pulls strong I have driven many of the V6s and I would prefer one at this point.
A 4 door with either a 6 spd or auto would be my choice at this point. The Auto trans is a good one and off road it's nice.

I really like the 4 door for the extra room.The 4 door only comes with a V6 while you can find an access cab with either motor.

If your planning on tires and adding additional gear the V6 is a better platform.
The "TRD OFFROAD" package gets you a rear locker and some nicer suspension from the factory.

They are great trucks and with such a strong after market support for parts and accessories you cant go wrong.

GTABurnout

Explorer
Funny thing is the V6 gets better gas miliage with the Auto then it does with the 6 speed.
I got the V6 and 4 door. I love the truck it perfect for what I need it for.

keezer37

Explorer
One consistent comment I've heard over the years is people wishing they would have gotten more of what they want. I say, if your budget permits, look beyond your immediate needs.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Toyota 4cyl 5speeds have been doing a great job for more than 30 years, why mess with success? If you are towing big loads then the V6 is the way to go but for light trailers and expedition loads the 4cyl is a dynamite engine.

I love my 4 cylinders of fury....

Last edited:

DirectDrive

Observer
I have an 09 4cyl 4x4 5 spd and love it.
I purposely did not buy the V6 because of the dismal fuel mileage reports.
I'd rather have a full size if I'm getting 17-18 MPG.

The current 2.7 makes good power. I was pleasantly surprised at how it holds 5th gear, on cruise, in moderate grades.
I have a heavy cap and pull a drift boat with it.

I don't think I would want the 2.7 with an automatic, although for 2012 Toyota is now offering it in the double cabs.
If you like a stick and are a "manual person" the 2.7 Taco may be for you.
If you're an auto person, get the V6. If fuel mileage is not a big issue you may like the V6.
The 5 speed is an Aisin, has almost exactly the same shift points as my old Jeep.....love it and the 2.7 4x4 comes with 4:10's which make it snappy.

Not a fan of the 6 speed manual. It's a Getrag and geared very differently than the Aisin. I could get used to it, I suppose.
It's more of a truck tranny with a deep 1st gear, but 2nd is too high to start off with, IMO.

McTaco

I bought an 09 access cab v6 6 spd, and if I had to do it again, I probably would have grabbed the 4cyl. From what I hear, the 5spd manual is a lot better, and I wouldn't find that hard to believe...The 6spd is hard to get used to, but it did get a lot better when I stepped up to 265/75/16s vs the stock 245/75/16s. There is also the throw out bearing issue, at 32k miles, I am starting to hear mine squeek.

As far as the trd offroad, the 8" e locker rear end is apparently rather weak. You can find a lot of testimonials from Tacoma owners regarding diff failures with it. An Sr5 with an arb seems to be the way to go.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
As far as the trd offroad, the 8" e locker rear end is apparently rather weak. You can find a lot of testimonials from Tacoma owners regarding diff failures with it. An Sr5 with an arb seems to be the way to go.

Few have wheeled their 05+ harder than I have and mine is holding up well. There was a bad batch of R&P's in the 05 model year that gave them a bad rap.

Get the options you want when you buy it, regret sucks.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Few have wheeled their 05+ harder than I have and mine is holding up well. There was a bad batch of R&P's in the 05 model year that gave them a bad rap.

Get the options you want when you buy it, regret sucks.

The 8" has a long history of being quite strong, they have been using the diff for a long time. The 8" is the same as in the front of the venerable 80 series cruiser, but that came in a high pinion option.

I agree with TACODOC that get what you want up front, its easier and will cost less in the long run.

Toyota 4cyl 5speeds have been doing a great job for more than 30 years, why mess with success? If you are towing big loads then the V6 is he way to go but for light trailers and expedition loads the 4cyl is a dynamite engine.

I love my 4 cylinders of fury....

x2 or whatever. I have an older 6 cylinder automatic in the full size truck platform. I am able to get 15/18mpg and have gotten 12mpg towing in the mountains and 24 hwy on my best day over the past 5 years.

Years ago I had a 1985 XCAB with 4 wheel drive, lifted and 33x12.50 tires. I was able to get 25mpg on the highway and got 21 mpg towing from Phoenix, AZ to Mazatenango, Guatemala (2500) miles. I was towing a truck that must have weighed more than the 85 as I was not able to exceed 50mph the whole trip. Aside from the handling aspect, the truck handled the trip fine and had enough power to do the job. That said, the newer trucks due to have a bigger 4 cylinder engine than my old one did.

Best of Luck in your decision.

Kevin

McTaco

DirectDrive

Observer
The 8" has a long history of being quite strong, they have been using the diff for a long time. The 8" is the same as in the front of the venerable 80 series cruiser, but that came in a high pinion option.

I agree with TACODOC that get what you want up front, its easier and will cost less in the long run.
It's the 8" with the E-Locker that is failing.
I believe mine has the 8.4" which is the preferred diff now in the Tacos. (No factory E-Locker in mine)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist

Yes, lots of morons flogging their junk mercilessly and then crying online in disbelief that their R&P failed... go figure. What year Tacoma do YOU own or are you just relying on internet complainers to form your opinion?

For the record, in 2006 I blew my R&P at 35K... because I jumped the truck at the Expedition Trophy. No complaints here as it was covered under warranty, I just don't jump the truck anymore ;)

Don't believe the hype. If you take care of your truck it will take care of you - I'm over 100K on MY truck and it's been great.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Yes, lots of morons flogging their junk mercilessly and then crying online in disbelief that their R&P failed... go figure. What year Tacoma do YOU own or are you just relying on internet complainers to form your opinion?

Don't believe the hype. If you take care of your truck it will take care of you - I'm over 100K on MY truck and it's been great.

x2...I have almost 80K on my 2005 elocked double cab...never ragged on and obsessive maintenace but I have seen no problems...if I do i will fix it b/c it is a great truck...my opinion is things need maintenance...preventative and when things eventually break...and you should be prepared if the truck is off warranty...
Things go wrong...I think a little research helps with the buying but now a days with every broken diff, caved in motor mount, and blown head gasket getting documented on the internet forums, you can't buy anything for fear of it spontaneously combusting...
Even on TTORA how many total trucks have had problems out of the millions on the road...yes some probably don't get documented but these are still pretty good odds

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The only thing that seems to get documented are the complaints... so IMO the information available on forums is somewhat skewed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste