Found 2006 Tundra with 17k miles

skiroc

Observer
I found an immaculate 2006 Tundra TRD 4x4 auto with V8, with just 17k miles for $23k. This is full KBB value, so can probably get the price down some. Are there any issues to expected with a vehicle that's been driven so few miles?

I'm looking for a truck for a FWC camper. New Tundra's are too big, new Tacoma's are $28k - $30. This might be just right.

What do you think?

Moody

Needs to get out more
With a clean vehicle and title, that low of miles might be worth the full kbb value in my book. If it were a 1996 instead of a 2006, perhaps some issues, but not for a relatively new vehicle. Only my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like...

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Wouldn't that truck have easily been $40k new? Sounds like a screamin' deal to me. It's pretty much a new truck.

motochain

Wanderer
Doesn't sound like a bad deal. But why not buy a Tundra with 40-60k on it and save yourself $10k?

I've purchased 2- 1st gen. Tundras both with over 100k on them and haven't had a single problem with either. One of which I've had for over 7 years now.

Derek24

Explorer
If you can, do it. That's a great year and who can complain about low miles, although these trucks will run forever. With such low miles, it will help you in resale if you ever decide.

skiroc

Observer
I'm kind of thinking I would be paying a premium for the low miles, but then because of the age would still need to replace tires, belts, hoses, full service, etc. If these things are solid, maybe a 60 - 80k mileage truck at much lower price is the way to go.

juicebox

Adventurer
I bought my '02 Tacoma in '06 with 30,500 miles on it. All the other 98-04 trucks I found had 50K+ on them and were <$15K Granted, I got a great deal on my truck, but I still would have paid more for the low miles. I wouldn't ever buy a brand new truck, 30K is as close as I'll ever get to new I think. I couldn't take that big of a financial hit. It just doesn't make sense for me.
This is the window sticker from my truck, truckSticker.jpg I don't know what the guy I bought it from paid out the door, but I would imagine it was around $27K. I bought it for 14,350 4 years after he bought it. ~$12,650 is the depreciation he took... A high price to pay to drive 30K miles. I bought it knowing I would never sell it and really use it, just get all of the money I could out of it. I wouldn't ever sell my truck unless I couldn't drive it anymore. (technically, I have epilepsy, so it's a real concern.) Because I know it's maintenance history through it's short life thus far, it gives me peace of mind. I know my truck like the back of my hand. He had all the oil changes done at the dealer, and when I bought the truck, he had the 30K service done. and then when I took possession, I kept up the maintenance myself. He literally had the 30k service done, drove it home and parked it. A couple days later I came and picked it up. I am still just on cloud 9 thinking about the day I bought it. :coffeedrink: Everything almost seemed to good to be true.

So basically, I think it's important to find a good balance between cost and miles. Maybe a 100k mile truck with all the maintenance records is better than a truck with 20K and no history... It's all compromise...

Sorry for rambling, I'm working a grave shift and I'm really tired and bored out of my mind. :costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
Tundra

My 05 Tundra was an excellent truck, and the only issue it had was steering related. Some were recalled for tie rod ends and replaced by Toyota under warranty. Not sure if that carried over to 06 or not. Can't go wrong with a Toyota.

Nice find. As others have said, you're paying a premium for the low miles. You could save some $ by finding one with more miles. However, if it checks out, "a bird in the hand"...

I believe those years had a ball-joint recall that were/can be fixed under warranty.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Welcome to ExPo skiroc!

I'll be looking to put together a similar set-up (FWC /1st gen Tundra) once I find a new home for my current one.

Where I live $23-24k is about the avg asking price for a '05-'06 Tundra DC 4WD with 40-60k miles on it.
You should be able find a better $$$ deal on a Tundra AC 4WD with low miles I would think?
Asking price for some of the AC models in this area with low miles average $14-18K.
Your choices may be limited in your area, but 3400 miles a year, in immaculate bumper-to-bumper/mechanical condition is awful tempting...
Good luck, and let us know how it all pans out. :coffee:

Cards81fan

Osage Hilltopper
You can probably get them down some. I think a low mileage used vehicle is the sweet spot for buying. The closest to being new, without it being new, the better.

I purchased my 2005 Dakota in December 2008, so 3 almost 4 years old at purchase. It had 35k give or take miles. Quad Cab (4 full doors) 4x4, but no other options aside from auto and air. Base everything (cd player, no tilt no cruise, manual locks And windows), which was perfect for me. But I got it for under 9 grand :sombrero:

I know the Toyota will not be as much of a steal as a domestic brand, but I think a truck like this wins in value, unless you can shave $5+ grand off for another few thousand miles (say, 13k more for a total of 30k).

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I found an immaculate 2006 Tundra TRD 4x4 auto with V8, with just 17k miles for $23k. This is full KBB value, so can probably get the price down some. Are there any issues to expected with a vehicle that's been driven so few miles?

I'm looking for a truck for a FWC camper. New Tundra's are too big, new Tacoma's are $28k - $30. This might be just right.

What do you think?

Last May I paid almost 20K for an '05 DC SR5 with 42,000 miles. He told me it was 35K brand new. It is in great shape, and I have not replaced a thing (besides tires). I doubt you will have to either. The price sounds great to me for an almost brand new truck.

skiroc

Observer
I'm starting to think that if I can get them down on price a little, this would basically be like buy a new truck for $21-22k, and one that you can't even buy anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles