PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else NOT physically fit in their Taco/4runner lol....

Rot Box
12-27-2011, 03:29 AM
Long story short: After a lot of searching I finally found myself the perfect 3rd gen 4runner. Its a Black 00 with the Sport package and all options aside from leather--yahoo!

I did find a really annoying problem with it though. I'm 5' 11" tall (average sized guy I thought) @ 165lbs and to sit comfortably in the driver seat my head literally contacts the roof :Wow1: I'm pretty sure its because the roof is lower due to the factory sunroof. Anyway I have to tilt the seat pretty far back to be able to keep my head from contacting the roof, and by that point I'm in a very awkward/homie lowrider position. I pretty much gave up wearing hats in the dumb thing... Does anyone else have this problem or know of a practical solution? :snorkel:

Hill, Bill E.
12-27-2011, 03:34 AM
Had that problem in my 4Runner (6'0" and 250#'s)

I always wear a hat, and in the 4Runner, it was almost impossible, unless I sat like you describe.

My solution? I sold it.:elkgrin:

Do you have electric seats? IIRC, the one I rode in w/electric seats, the seats went lower than mine with sliders.

Might be an option to swap them in (if you don't already have them)

18seeds
12-27-2011, 03:51 AM
Get one without a sunroof

CA-RJ
12-27-2011, 03:55 AM
I'm 5-11 and 190 lbs and I fit in my 97 with no issues. I also have the sunroof and don't feel cramped at all.

RangeBrover
12-27-2011, 04:03 AM
Could always ride with he sunroof open :). I find this kind of funny because when I drive these trucks I always feel like my butt is on the floor.

VDBAZFJ
12-27-2011, 04:08 AM
I feel your pain. I'm 6'4" and 250 so I don't fit anything. I'm the fat guy in a little coat when it comes to most cars. Having said that...I LOVE my FJ Cruiser. Lots of headroom and I can actually lean the seat upright more and feel more comfortable too! Did I mention that I LOVE my FJ?? Love it.

riveroceanandmountain
12-27-2011, 04:28 AM
Yup, same problem for me...... no factory sunroofs possible in my life but I find my 05 taco just fine (no sunroof) at 6'4"

Byways
12-27-2011, 04:35 AM
If you decide to unload it, I'd like to be the first to know. Seriously. :)

Rot Box
12-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Haha well guys I've sold vehicles for lesser reasons trust me! :coffeedrink: but I'll just have to figure something out.

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone :bike_rider:

McFly2003
12-27-2011, 06:35 AM
6'1" 200lbs factory sunroof and non power/height adjustable seats and I fit great!

ColoCherokees
12-27-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm 6'2", but my inseam is only 32" (as in most of my height is in my torso). When I test drove my '98 4Runner (with sunroof), the headroom seemed to be "okay." This summer was the first trail I took it on, and it became clear that the headroom is just inadequate for me (as in my melon making frequent contact with the headliner).

Martinjmpr
12-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm 6'1", though with fairly long legs (34" inseam) and I fit fine in my 3rd gen with no sunroof. I often wear a hat, in fact, and no problems doing so in the 4runner.

You might try a power adjustable seat from a Limited before you sell it, though. FWIW, I don't like sunroofs because on older vehicles when the weather stripping starts wearing off they can leak.

mkitchen
12-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I can't fit in any of the earlier Toyotas. I am 6'7" and the only one that I fit in is the 05 and newer models. Even at that, I need to tilt the seat back quite a bit but I am ok with that. I have travelled for many days in mine and am fine with this set up. Anything earlier though is a real no-go for me. I actually have a lot more room in my Honda Element, sad to say.
Mikey

PirateMcGee
12-27-2011, 04:15 PM
cut the roof and weld in a little raised box hehe

4xdog
12-27-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm six foot six, and I *didn't* buy a double cab Tacoma in 2001 when they came out because the seating position wasn't much changed from my 1981 Toyota Pickup, and having my knees up to my ears just didn't feel as comfortable as the chairs in my XJ. Well, the XJ will soon be offered here for sale and I *did* buy a 2001 Tacoma DC a few years ago. The seating position is still too close to the floor, an unavoidable consequence of a compact truck with body-on-frame construction. I've decided I can live with it 'cause it does so many other things so very well.

It has ton of headroom -- better than the XJ by far, although neither have a sunroof. I'll almost always prefer a car without a sunroof, because the inch or two that's given up in headroom isn't worth it.

Legroom is most dear to me. Maybe I oughta think about raising the seats in my Tacoma a little bit... hmmm...

Don

Ryanmb21
12-27-2011, 04:44 PM
My good buddy is 6'5" and he drives a third gen 4runner with sunroof. I recommend you cut your mohawk.

Rot Box
12-27-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm thinking about doing a reenactment of Harry and the Hendersons to the roof for more room.. You guy's have seen that one right? Its a classic! :p

I actually have a lot more room in my Honda Element, sad to say.
Mikey

Funny you mention that. I dd a 98 CRV and along with much more headroom it has at least 30% more storage and interior room than my 4Runner in a much smaller package. And best of all it doesn't have the worthless hatch/trunk design of the 4runner. That said its too bad it doesn't have the same strength and features in the drivetrain :(

RangeBrover
12-27-2011, 08:01 PM
You know if all else fails get a land rover. What we lack in reliability we make up for in headroom.

NorthernWoodsman
12-27-2011, 11:56 PM
so many different replies of folks the same-ish height and either fitting great or not fitting good at all.

i've owned a 1985 regular cab toyota 4x4 and my current 1994 toyota extra cab 4x4. i'm 6'3", 190#, most of my height is in my legs (34" inseam) and i fit in both of my trucks just fine. never had any issues concerning my legs fitting at all and i had plenty of headroom in the '85 and i have tons of headroom in my '94 even with my hat on, which i wear every single day.

maybe you have a fivehead instead of a forehead?

nwoods
12-28-2011, 12:19 AM
You know if all else fails get a land rover. What we lack in reliability we make up for in headroom.

LOL, I wish that were universally true. I can't fit in a RRC cause the roof is too low, I can't fit in the Discovery because the seat is cramed into the front corner of the cabin and there is no room for folks with knees and/or girth. No headroom in the Sport either. The only Rover's I fit are the LR3/4 and the full size MkIII Range Rover....and oddly enough, the LR2 :-)

RangeBrover
12-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Ha okay you got me. I've always found all of the rovers to be perfect for me. Then again I'm 5'6, and when I try driving toyotas I find I ride way to low.

FLYFISHEXPERT
12-28-2011, 06:52 AM
I am 6'6" and I fit in our '98 SR5 with a sunroof. There is a huge difference in the seats. I test drove a limited, SR5, Sport, and Base and found that I was too tall for the limited and sport seats (powered adjustment). The powered adjustment seats sit a good inch or so higher than the base/SR5 manual adjustment seats.

98roamer
12-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Interesting, I'm 6'1" 180lbs 33" inseam but I had a neck injury so I keep my seat as vertical as possible. So with a 98 4Runner limited w/ electric seats adjusted as far down as possible; I still rub the crown of my head on the head liner (if the sun roof cover isn't open).
Normally I just open the sun roof cover or deal with the fuzzy alfalfa sprout hairdo.
It's not a deal breaker for me, but it has caused me to look at the newer 05+ 4Runners or LC 100 series for our next expo truck.

cnynrat
12-28-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm 6'4", and relatively tall from the waist up. I know I don't fit in the 4th generation 4 Runner. I basically have the same problem as the OP - my head is in the headliner. We probably would have bought a 4 Runner except for this issue. We ended up with an FJ Cruiser instead - plenty of headroom.

cruiseroutfit
12-28-2011, 05:04 PM
6-1 and feel comfortable in the cab of my Tacoma and 3rd gen Runner w/sunroof. I found myself in a friends 3rd gen last night and I honestly had never even thought to look at the available room, sure enough its 'tighter' than my Tacoma but again nothing I would have noticed without looking for it?

Rot Box
12-28-2011, 06:03 PM
I forgot to mention I don't have the power seats and the adjustments are bottomed out. My head rubs right where the roof dips down for the slider rail on the sun roof. It's funny because I fit just fine in the 01 Tacoma I had a few years back (no sunroof), and I fit just fine in my smallish 79 Hilux...

Oh well I'll figure something out or just keep cruising the F350 like I have been. I can stand up and drive that truck HAHA! :coffeedrink:

rickashay
12-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Im 6'6" with manual seats and no sunroof. I have a few inches of headroom still and I find my 4Runner comfier than the other 10 Hondas and Toyotas that I have had in the past.

4xdog
12-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Wow, there are a lot more of us tall folk on here than I woulda guessed. Maybe we need our own forum -- or at least an extended thread -- for things like this!

Don

Desert Dan
12-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Maybe get a fullsize rig?

Blender
12-29-2011, 12:37 AM
The small interior space is what steering me away from a 01 tacoma/4runner and into a tundra. I'm only 6' tall, but i like my space.

Mc Taco
12-29-2011, 06:02 AM
I'm 6' and let's just say not svelte. I fit in the cab of my 2004 Tacoma DC pretty well. No sunroof and I keep the seat near vertical as well. I am sensitive to headroom. Been in two rollovers for three complete revolutions. Now for the lateral room... if it is only me, no problem. Get one of my buddies whose big and I feel like I'm in an Apollo LEV.

SilverBullet
12-29-2011, 06:10 AM
I am 6'2" and most of it is legs (38" inseam). I used to be okay in my 98 4Runner, but my 95 is tight. Even if my bubble were not in the middle, I would be tight in this truck.

J-man
12-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Im 6'6" 200 lbs, and no sunroofs for me. I did however make some rail extensions for the seat which it now slides back 3-4" further than stock. What a world of difference that made. I can finally stretch my legs out and drive straight arm'd without being in the "homie" reclined position. The headroom issue, hmm not sure how to help you on that one. Just make sure your seat settings are lowered all the way down - if youve got the electric seats push down on the buttons to make sure its lowered all the way.

Desert Dan
12-29-2011, 04:10 PM
In Toyota Tacos and 4 Runners I allways feel like I am sitting too close to the floor with my legs straight out.

In Jeeps, FJ 40s and Rovers I feel like I am sitting more upright like in a chair which seems better for the lumbar spine.

Anyone tried wearing a hard hat in the older Toyota pickups?

Finlay
12-29-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm 6'4" and 220. The Taco is roomy as hell - but when I was younger, I had a V6 Fiero ;-) I wish the seat bottom tilted up more, however. That said, the seats are really comfortable compared to the Honda CRV I borrowed last weekend, but I have never found Honda seats to be comfortable at all.

With so much personal variation in comfort, it seems like there would be a standard bolt interface in the car so that seat swaps could be easier.

atavuss
12-31-2011, 04:11 AM
I am 6'3" and 205. I have the same problem as you when I drive my wife's 09 Civic that has a sunroof. I do fit fine in my 09 double cab TRD 4x4 and even my 2010 regular cab 4x4 with a bench seat is roomy enough. I had a 04 double cab 4x4 TRD and the newer gen Tacos are much roomier and more comfortable.

Rot Box
12-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Well I'm going to take the 4runner for a scoot in the snow today... I sure hope there aren't any bumps lol :Wow1: :hehe:

datree
01-01-2012, 02:42 PM
I would try to get a runner without the sunroof. I have a 90 runner with the sun roof and at 6'9" tall and 300LBs I have to lean the seat way back, but it is better than walking.

Rattler
01-01-2012, 02:50 PM
6'5" @ 260 and I fit in my '04 Doublecab Taco fine. Not as comfy as my WRX was but no problems. I recently drove my neighbor's @ '08 Chevy Z/71 and there was no more room in that thing than my truck. There is a massive console in between the seats that takes up way too much room. It took a while for my vision to return to normal after being blinded by all the blue lighting too.

LaOutbackTrail
01-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Montero. I'm 5'11 155lbs and I have about a foot of headroom. :)

4xdog
01-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Maybe get a fullsize rig?

This isn't always as simple as it sounds. Maybe it's just me (6'6", 260 lb) but there are plenty of vehicles that are big on the outside and not so impressive on the inside. Take the Hummer H1 as possibly the worlds worst example (gasp!).

Interior room is almost an independent variable from exterior volume.

Don

Rot Box
01-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Well we took the 4runner on a short trip near home yesterday and had a ton of fun. My brother just picked up a supercharged 03 Nissan Frontier crew cab so we had to try it out :bike_rider:

I was able to get comfortable enough and not have my head bounce off of the roof, but I really dislike the driving position I have to be in. Oh well I'll just tough it out and deal with it the rest of the rig makes up for that.

Oleg
01-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I am 6'3" 215lb, and when I go shopping for a car, i just run my hand above my head to see how much room i have between the roof and the results are pretty crappy. My dream 4th gen v8 4runner sport.. no room, cant fit my hand through. Thats why I am most likely will be getting the 5th gen 4runner. Bunch of room, pretty much as much as in FJ.

Rattler
01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I am 6'3" 215lb, and when I go shopping for a car, i just run my hand above my head to see how much room i have between the roof and the results are pretty crappy. My dream 4th gen v8 4runner sport.. no room, cant fit my hand through. Thats why I am most likely will be getting the 5th gen 4runner. Bunch of room, pretty much as much as in FJ.

Thats what impressed me so much about the WRX (it was an '02). I sat in that car at the Detroit Auto Show and got that seat adjusted and I was sold. I had sat in a new Celica prior to that and boy was I cramped.

I had an '89 XtraCab I fit fine in and then I ended up with a '91 4Runner also. I didn't fit in that as well as the XtraCab.

slus
01-07-2012, 02:53 AM
I am 6'4" and fit in my 99 4runner just fine, with a sunroof. I do have long legs and arms, so my seat is all the way back on the rails, and tilted back for a comfortable driving position. I just know it's time to cut my hair when it touches the roof.

My 84 with no sunroof does have about 3" more headroom though.

MaTt98
01-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Im 6'3 200lbs and fit in my 98 extra cab fine although i test drove a 2002 4runner with a sunroof and didnt fit unless i did a gangster lean. lol

upcountry
01-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Im 6'3 200lbs and fit in my 98 extra cab fine although i test drove a 2002 4runner with a sunroof and didnt fit unless i did a gangster lean. lol

I am 6'3" 240#s and I fit very well in my 2007 Double Cab Tacoma.

I even have two carseats behind the front seats for my kids and I cant put the seat all the way back becuase my kids legs would be smashed. Even with the seat forward a couple clicks and not very far reclined I still fit fine. Plenty of head room.

Getting in and out kinda sucks, thats where I feel the squeeze.

targa88
01-20-2012, 02:50 AM
Another vote for the FJC - 6' & 200lbs = plenty of room in the cab

STREGA
01-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Another vote for the FJC - 6' & 200lbs = plenty of room in the cab

Same here (I'am 6', 210 lbs. with a 32" inseam). Although I fit in a taco ok, it is a little cramped compared to the FJ.