2nd Gen Beds, RTT's, and racks....oh my.

Taco Gunner

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a RTT and need some guidance. I have heard conflicting information about the bed structure of the 2nd Gen Tacos and their ability to handle the load of a RTT. Concerns of bed spreading seem to be the most common concern. I plan on having a bed rack fabricated that will elevate the RTT to just below the roof line. I have seen plenty of Tacos with RTT's but want to get the consensus on the subject. Also, are there was to mitigate the issue..if an issue exist.

Also, is it better to put a RTT in a rooftop rack (Baja Rack) or just mount it directly to a bed rack?

Thanks in advance!

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Take a look at the (in)famous TACODOC build thread. Dave had a rack for the RTT before the sweet Flipac. He may have addressed those issues there. It has been a wile since I read the whole thread, so not sure if that topic was covered.

enzo

Explorer
I can't say it enough-Thule Xsporter 422XT. It's lightweight, adjustable and can hold more than enough weight. If I could figure out how to post pics I'd put some up.

hbmurphy

I designed a simple bar and had a bend and fab for about $200.

rttrack2.jpg

liveRQpVKW.jpg

rttrackdv.jpg

And recently changed to this attachment design with 9/16" T nuts and SS bolts with Red Locktite:

rttrack.jpg

390630_2643408517194_1015035927_2731048_1459121009_n.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Search for a guy with the user name "cell4soul". He had a rack and RTT on his 2nd Gen Taco that was awesome. After some time, the weight of the rack and the RTT actually cracked the composite bed up near the cab and was RIPPING the sheetmetal on the bedsides like a can opener. My rack by Demello was HEAVY and never damaged my bed by the time I went to the FlipPac so I consider myself lucky since his rack and mine were similarly stout. If I did a rack again it would be aluminum and light!

100_3282.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles