Qestions re purchase of 2006 Tundra - fuel injection system flush/powertrain module

skiroc

Observer
I'm looking to buy a used 2006 Tundra. I have found one with 36k miles, that looks like new. The carfax shows all regular service at a dealer. It shows "Engine/powertrain computer/module checked" about 6 months after purchase.

It also lists a fuel injection system flush service at 12k miles (2008 - 2 years after purchase) and 25k miles (2010).

Is there anything to worry about with these or is this typical stuff?

I'm going to get it checked out by a local tech - it is several hundred miles from me. Is there anything in particular I should tell the tech to look at for a 2006 Tundra?

keezer37

Explorer
Fuel system flush? At 12 & 25k? Well, it shows the previous owners had good intentions and was taking the vehicle in. And unless some service bulletin has come up indicating that this truck needs this maintenance in addition to what is indicated by the maintenance schedule, it also shows that particular dealership was willing to perform unnecessary work. If it was performed at all. I'm willing to bet it hasn't. I've seen this too many times to people who do not know basic vehicle maintenance.

You can go to Toyota's Home Page, click on "For Owners" and "Scheduled Maintenance" to see just what should have been done. Basically change the oil, grease the u-joints and check for loose nuts here and there.

Your tech that you are taking it to, assuming he is trustworthy, will know if any maintenance was actually done. Dirt build up in the air filter, on the oil filter, on the engine cover, lack of hand prints on the engine cover, etc. There will be dirt but it becomes apparent when the dirt is caked. These are not absolutes but are good indicators. Your tech should also have access to a national database that tracks failure rates for all vehicles and be able to inform you of high failure items.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
The fuel injection flush could be something as simple as the dealership selling the customer a BG Products fuel injection cleaning (ie poured some stuff in the fuel tank).

skiroc

Observer
The owner is an old guy, so it sounds like he was taken advantage of, but sounds like this does not imply anything wrong with the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste