Would you.....

jason04

Observer
V6 or V8? If it's a V8 plan on doing the timing belt if it hasn't been done. $800 ish.

I've got 112,000 on my V6 4th gen. Runs perfect doesn't burn any oil and make a perfect DD for my wife and weekend warrior/camping rig for the fam.

$9k sounds like a fair deal. That's about what they're going for in my neck of the woods.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
All timing belt engines I've ever seen have a 60-100k replacement interval, although its a little arbitrary. You can do it yourself with basic hand tools, as long as you can get the crank bolt out. Those can be a ***** on toyotas. Download the FSM from here.

Rightovercrest

Would you....buy a 2003 4runner SR5 4X4 w/ 107,000 clean title, for 9k?

Im tempted
View attachment 80272

Not a bad price and if the timing belt has not been done try and negotiate some $ off of the price to afford to get it done. Or if you are handy do it yourself and spend your savings making the truck how you want it. Also, see what other service records are available. Not a big deal though as you should get another 100k out of it no problem.

Yes-IF it was in good condition. My wife and I recently bought a gently used van to replace her old one when it gave up the ghost. We looked at Toyotas and Hondas with 103.000-122,000 miles on them before settling for a Honda van with 118,000 on it. The condition (cosmetic and mechanical) of the vehicle was what helped us make up our mind.

PM me the VIN if you want a Carfax on that one.

Kevin

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
$9,000 is actually a very good price for a 4th gen 4Runner with that few of miles. Do a search on Autotrader or CarMax and you will find that they go for much more ($14k + for one in the 100k mile range). If it's in good shape, I'd buy it, even if the timing belt needs to be done.

Derek24

Explorer
Tell me where it is, I'll buy it tomorrow! Those V8's are bullet proof, as is the runner itself!

Blacknmuddy

Observer
what other things should I look for when I go look at this vehicle, I did an autocheck report on it, comes clean, no accidents.

All Im really worried about is engine care, without complete maint. documents I cant be too comfortable buying it, making a gamble....

highspeed

I have a 2003 T4R Sport V8 with 156k on the clock now. Purchased a few years ago with 90k and did the timing belt, water pump, and some kind of seal (sorry, can't remember the name of it).

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned, runs perfect, always. The only thing that would make it better is if it got better MPG.

If you can score one in good condition at or below KBB I would do it for sure.

Blacknmuddy

Observer
Went and looked at it an hour ago, There is a ticking sound coming from the engine,a loud clicking sound coming from the front wheel area when turned all the way, lots of dings and knicks on exterior, interior was pretty bad, as well.....Im not so sure about this now, the engine is really all im worried about....He said it might be a gasket or seal, but hell it could be something much worse....dont feel so good about this now.lol

still lookin for a good 4runner 4WD here in hawaii...Really hard to come buy a 4th gen

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste