2014 Tundra

Flagster

Expedition Leader
As I was driving North on HWY 89 out of Flagstaff yesterday afternoon I was passed in the opposite direction by a black heavily disguised/tarped toyota tundra...the front end was not visible and the bed had a canopy on them covering the top of the bed and back of the cabin at strange angles...they may still be roaming around N. AZ or headed through PHX...keep an eye out for them...I didn't have a camera/phone on me quick enough to grab a photo...
As I am interested what the changes to the 2014 Tundra will be...will most likely be a subtle front end redesign like the 2012 Tacoma but thought I would start this thread to compile any info...

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Hopefully a pretty hefty body style redo as the current truck is excellent mechanically, but has tiny wheel wells and doesn't rank high in the looks department in my opinion.

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
Well considering that Toyota uses Diesels in every other part of the world your statement means nothing. I think it has more to do with EPA more than anything else.

Mattm94

Observer
I doubt they're doing a diesel in 14, but the notion that Toyota is afraid to step into a diesel market is laughable and displays an odd ignorance of diesel power outside of Detroit or the U.S....

The fact remains that the great majority of U.S. drivers prefer gas, and WILL until they can't afford it.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Toyota is certainly not afraid to step into the global diesel market. However they are afraid to step into the U.S. diesel market. There is too much loyalty to the big three, and fear about the heavy duty capability of Toyota vehicles for them to have even a snowballs chance in hell at the HD market in the U.S. Seriously look at how long it took them to come out with a real 1/2 ton full size truck. . . . . . . 20+ years. I think that Toyota is still feeling the impact from their T100 disaster, and the dismal sales of the Tundra compared to the F150 and Silverado are evidence of that I believe. They will continue to have excellent sales in the global diesel market however and the big three cant touch that. And as previously posted, the vast majority of truck sales in the U.S. are gas anyway.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Well considering that Toyota uses Diesels in every other part of the world your statement means nothing. I think it has more to do with EPA more than anything else.

I doubt they're doing a diesel in 14, but the notion that Toyota is afraid to step into a diesel market is laughable and displays an odd ignorance of diesel power outside of Detroit or the U.S....

I actually agree with 78Bronco. Toyota has the supply chain for diesel. Mercedes and VW are coming in with diesel despite the EPA. With all due respect, I think the EPA statements holds no water.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech...ere-no-diesels-yota-sold-usa.html#post7221931

Considering other manufacturers are importing/selling diesels, the new Tundra did sell (albeit not very well during the financial "crisis"), Toyota and its global supply and support chain should be able to support additional offerings, I can't think of any reason other than fear/bias/market disinterest to not have at bare minimum a diesel truck offering. I ask this very genuinely, what makes you think that statement is ignorant?

Even if Toyota offered the diesel, the option cost would be $8500.00 and turn off buyers because of cost. This would also negate any fuel savings cost unless you drive the rig for 300,000 miles.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Toyota only runs their models for 6-8 years. By 2014 the second gen Tundra will be end of life and I expect an all new third gen version will debut. I also expect it will have an increased payload and will be designed with a certain diesel in mind. I won't say that it will come with one though. Toyota is very conservative with new offerings and the US buyer hasn't shown that he will buy a heavy diesel pickup from an import company. This is ironic since so many Tundras have been made in the USA and so many Dodges have been built in Mexico. Toyota also has to do something about the pricing if they want the kind of volume that Ford is getting. I could nearly buy two F150s for the price of a Tundra.

I think they days of diesel are gone though. This winter we have been paying a 25% premium for diesel and I have seriously considered dumping our HDJ81 for a UZJ100 because the gasser V8 is cheaper to operate than the L6 turbodiesel. The future is in smaller, direct injected, charged air gassers such as Ford's 3.5l ecowhatever.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Boxed is not always better. The tundra c-channel is more than capable of handling current duties. Plus it is less likely to hold moisture/mud and rust. Look at all the big rigs on the road, they are c-channel.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
Boxed is not always better. The tundra c-channel is more than capable of handling current duties. Plus it is less likely to hold moisture/mud and rust. Look at all the big rigs on the road, they are c-channel.

i agree with that, but something must be done about the flex in the frame. i see 2nd gen tundras go down a particular stretch of road (concrete washboard) and it looks as if its going to twist apart.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...Toyota also has to do something about the pricing if they want the kind of volume that Ford is getting. I could nearly buy two F150s for the price of a Tundra.

Is that apples to apples? Seven months ago I compared similarly equipped (as close as the packages would allow & I would buy) Toyota TRD 5.7L trucks and new Fx4 F150s and the retail pricing was very close. I decided on the Toyota, but not because of pricing.

I think they days of diesel are gone though. This winter we have been paying a 25% premium for diesel and I have seriously considered dumping our HDJ81 for a UZJ100 because the gasser V8 is cheaper to operate than the L6 turbodiesel. The future is in smaller, direct injected, charged air gassers such as Ford's 3.5l ecowhatever.

I agree (hope we are wrong). As a 20 year diesel enthusiast/owner I fear the opportunity to expand diesel popularity in N. America was missed. I could have purchased a new diesel pickup in 2011, but I didn't need/want one for a variety of reasons, not all of them economic.

Pskhaat's comments (on MUD about the outdated perspective of auto executives regarding the poor execution of GM diesels in the USA are just that, outdated. I don't think the general buying public knows or cares about this 1970s history. If new diesels were economical (big picture), appealing and offered, then people would/could buy them. But as lowenbrau said, I fear the glory days of light-duty diesels may have passed. This is part of the reason I'm hesitant to sell my 1996 F350, though it sees little use.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I'm loving my Tundra...

All,

I have been very pleased with my new Tundra. It has plenty of room, power and looks. The bonus is the fact that it gets BETTER gas mileage towing my Sherpa II trailer than with my old 4runner. If Toyota came out with a Taco with a V6 diesel, I might take a long hard look at that platform. However, I feel as though this rig is perfect for the needs of my family at this time.

IMG_2853.jpg

300126523_photobucket_6012_.jpg

Regards,

BWJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles