iPad install to my FJC

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
Thought I would post up the iPad install I finished up today.

Considering how religiously I use my iPad, I figured why not also use it in the truck! For navigation purposes that is. The iPad is a seriously cool device that has changed how I read information on the internet. Thanks to the other guys on the forum that helped me with some mounting decisions.

My iPad is WIFI only meaning it does not have internet 3G reception. In order to have the iPad find my position on a map I need some sort of wifi hotspot (which would probably still not work in remote areas) or some sort of GPS device attached to the iPad. I was very fortunate this past Christmas and received both a Bad Elf GPS and Emprum GPS. They are both basically the same thing. A small GPS puck that attaches to the data port of your iPad or iPhone and provide satellite location to your device. As long as you have downloaded maps of the area you plan on visiting ahead of time, you will be able to track your location and find your way to the trail head or back to camp. There are a number of apps in the Apple app store that allow you to download offline maps, such as Gaia GPS and Motion X GPS. In a future post I will review the Bad Elf and Emprum to determine a champion. As well as what apps I am using successfully for navigation.

After removing the dash panel I cut a small square hole in the dash to allow my fingers to secure the nuts & bolts for the diamond ball head Ram mount. This is a little more crude than my normal installs as I could not find a step drill. This hole was cut with a box knife. I cleaned up the edges before reassembly. Nobody will ever see this hole so I wasn't too concerned.

IMG_0720.jpg

Ram ball mounts do not come with mounting hardware unless you are purchasing a device mount. For example, my iPad cradle came with nuts and bolts for the ball mount to attach to the holder. This diamond shape ball mount (RAM-B-238U) I ordered separately did not. I wanted to point this out as most websites fail at letting people know if parts come with supplied hardware. A quick stop at Lowes and I left with 10×3/4 button head bolts, nylock nuts and 1-inch washers. Choosing a large washer is important to help distribute the load of the iPad against the plastic dash. Sorry for the lack of nuts and bolts photos but I think all of you can see what I did here. Yes I realize the diamond ball mount is upside down. Some of the powder coat was scratched off on the other side when it arrived.

IMG_0721.jpg

The RAM-HOL-AP8U iPad Cradle works for both the iPad and iPad 2. Ram supplies two small black bumpers indicated with red arrows (2 pictures down you can see the bumpers on the back of the iPad). The thinner design of the iPad 2 needs help securing it firmly inside the cradle. Although the bumpers help, they do not secure the iPad as I would like it. As most of you reading this already know, things shake off road. A LOT. I added two small strips of 3M foam pad to the base of the holder which I am pointing to in the picture and now the iPad is firm. No play and will not scratch my device.

IMG_0727s.jpg

Originally, I ordered the RAM-B-201U-C Ram Mount Aluminum 5.25-inch Long Length Dual 1.0 Socket Arm to use with the cradle. After mounting it in the FJ, I swapped it with the RAM-B-201U Ram Mount Aluminum 3.0-inch Standard Length Dual 1.0 Socket Arm that was on my SPOT Messenger. The longer arm worked fine but I did not need its length to position the iPad where I want it. Also, the closer you keep the weight to the hard mount, the less movement you will get in your device. Simple physics. I will use the longer arm for my SPOT Messenger.

IMG_0724.jpg

Thats pretty much all there is to it. After putting everything back together I fired up the iPad and took a drive. I already had local maps downloaded and the device was working perfectly. It will also be handy to have some movies and my music library on the road.

IMG_0722.jpg

There are a few reasons why I ended up dash mounting the iPad versus my original plan of using the seat bolt floor mount (RAM-B-316-1-AP8). After reading several poor reviews of how shaky the seat bolt arm is, the idea was thrown out the window. I also didn’t like how the arm got in the way of passengers legs. To remove the arm when the iPad is not needed looked to also be a pain. On the dash, the iPad is out of everyones way and can be removed in seconds. When mounted and not in use I can lay the iPad flat against the dash and it is out of the way if the passenger air bag should deploy. Having a ball mount on the dash also means I can mount just about anything I want to my dash within weight considerations. Ram Mount makes 100s of mounts for all sorts of devices. I would not mount a laptop to the dash in this manner. Too heavy.

IMG_0726.jpg

The cradle itself after some added padding works great. I purchased an extra ball mount plate for the back so I can move the arm to either position when needed. The clip that locks the iPad in place is solid. I would take caution in loading and unloading your iPad so you don’t scratch the glass. As long as you aren’t rough with it I don’t foresee any problems.

Something else I wanted to touch on that has me boggled. I found many people online that chose to purchase the cradle with locking mechanism. Riddle me this. If you lock the iPad to the cradle but you can simply untwist the arm from the cradle and steal the entire device, what is the point of the cradle lock? If you remove the twist lock on the arm and replace it with new hardware that requires tools then I could see it being useful. Don’t forget to also make sure your dash or floor mount are secure. If I leave my FJ parked for any solid period of time I will take the iPad out of the mount and hide it from sight or take it with me. I think any iPad or laptop in plain sight is waiting to be stolen so keep that in mind. I don’t keep extra devices for off road excursions in my FJ unless I am actually heading off road. That stuff can stay at home safe until needed!

Parts List
RAM-HOL-AP8U Ram Mount Plastic Apple iPad and iPad 2 Mount Cradle
RAM-B-201U Ram Mount Aluminum 3.0-inch Standard Length Dual 1.0 Socket Arm
RAM-B-238U Ram Mount Aluminum Diamond mini Plate with 1-inch ball
10×3/4 Stainless Steel Button Head Bolts (2)
1-inch Stainless Steel Washers (2)
Nylock Nuts (2)
3M Foam Pad Strips (2)

Total cost of parts not including iPad – $48
Time spent to install – 2 hours (including going to Lowes)

I wanted to give a quick shout to GPS City where I purchased the Ram parts. These guys have one of the best GPS websites around. Really great video reviews of all the products they sell. When I want to see what a mount really looks like or works like, I usually visit. www.gpscity.com

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Nice install!! Does your ipad have BlueTooth? I have the 'Torque' app on my phone, and a Blue Tooth OBDII sender. I can set up any guage on my phone, that the ECU/OBDII reads.

Makes for a really cool dash board, since you can customize everything. Only problem is, my phone screen is really small, to small to see well while driving.

I usually only have 2 guages displayed, like temp/ intake temp or the MPG average/MPG instant.

A bigger screen would allow a better 'gauge cluster'.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Awesome mod, I'm really looking forward to your review of the Bad Elf GPS vs the Emprum GPS. I've been looking into getting a similar setup to use the iPad as a map, but right now I'm still using my laptop.

joneseyyy

Explorer
Nice work, I use the seat bolt mount and agree that it is a bit shaky, but I am too nervous to drill into the dash!
601a713e-e329-cb18.jpg

Airmonger

Adventurer
Wow....that looks so clean. Makes me wish I had a nice right angle in my 80 series. I also used the seat mount for and I pad and agree that its not the best solution.

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
Nice install!! Does your ipad have BlueTooth? I have the 'Torque' app on my phone, and a Blue Tooth OBDII sender. I can set up any guage on my phone, that the ECU/OBDII reads.

Makes for a really cool dash board, since you can customize everything. Only problem is, my phone screen is really small, to small to see well while driving.

I usually only have 2 guages displayed, like temp/ intake temp or the MPG average/MPG instant.

A bigger screen would allow a better 'gauge cluster'.

Some good ideas here thank you. Yes the iPad supports BlueTooth.

RangeBrover

Explorer
What is the main concern with the seat mount? Is it that it could shake the iPad lose? I'm assuming that the iPad itself is pretty durable considering the lack of many moving parts. Have any of you actually had your iPad pop out of the mount? I'm just curious because I dont want to drill into the dash.

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
What is the main concern with the seat mount? Is it that it could shake the iPad lose? I'm assuming that the iPad itself is pretty durable considering the lack of many moving parts. Have any of you actually had your iPad pop out of the mount? I'm just curious because I dont want to drill into the dash.

Reading reviews of the arm mounts to floor are that the arm moves. Basically a weight on the end of a two foot stick is going to create wobble. Some complained if them shaking on road so I can only imagine off road shake. Nothing wrong with the iPad cradle just the way it's mounted. I enjoy high speed offroading as well and I need it secure not shaking into my passengers knees.

joneseyyy

Explorer
I have had the seat mount Ipad mount installed for several months and it sees almost daily use. Yes, the mount is not rock solid, since you are mounting weight on the end of 2 foot stick secured by one bolt. At most (when hitting a big bump/pothole, or offroading) the Ipad will move around maybe 1''. Also, typing on the screen will flex the mount a little bit (but you shouldn't be doing this while driving!). There is no way the Ipad will fall out of the mount.

Overall I have been happy with the seat mount and will continue to use it. I would love a mount that appears as rock solid as the OP's (great work and ingenuity!), but not at the expense of non-reversible dash modifications right now.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Nice install! We recently bought an Android tablet that we hope to use for nav in our FJ, I'll have to see if Ram makes a mount for it yet.

ccarm

Adventurer
Second on that one...seems like either you or the Ipad wouldn't last through an airbag deployment.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Thanks for the info on the Arm mounts guys, I'm going to try and pick one up next week. Glad to know it won't fall, I can deal with a little wobble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles