2004 V8 4Runner cracked exhaust manifold

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I searched but didn't find much here on EXPO about this. I did find quit a few threads on other Toyota forums about this.

It looks like I am another victim of the cracked right manifold problem on my 2004 4Runner V8.

I have just over 84K on it and started hearing the exhaust leak tick a few weeks ago. I took it to the dealer today and they confirmed the right manifold is cracked.

I opened a claim with Toyota customer satisfaction and they are investigating it now with the dealer to see if they will cover it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to eat this one.

Anyone else around here experience a cracked right side exhaust manifold on the 4th Gen's V8?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I don't have a 4Runner, but I know this is a problem with 100-series LC's as well. I know there have been group buys for EM made by Doug Thorley. May want to check into that if Toyota doesn't come through.

Moody

Needs to get out more
Mine has the tick as well, just turned over 90k. I personally don't think it is that big of an issue until it gets much worse than it is. I had a Nissan Pathfinder that still has a leak (same situation) and now my in-laws drive it, and it hasn't ever been replaced in over 5 years.

I'm interested to hear how the claim with Toyota goes...if you are successful, perhaps I will have to give it a go as well.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I agree this is a bummer. From what I have read it is not wide spread but fairly common. One normal approach to a failure like this is to just take the opportunity to move to after market headers. The challenge with the 4Runner V8 is that each year, 04, 05 and 06 all have different engine compartment designs that require unique headers. None of the after market manufactures have been willing to deal with that so there are no after market headers available unless you go custom which gets pricey.

I have been a loyal Toyota customer for decades and made that clear when taking to customer sat folks at Toyota. Also this 4Runner has been serviced 100% at one dealer since it was purchased new and all those records are visible to them. I am hopeful that they will do the right thing and cover this one. I won't know until next Tuesday.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I have been a loyal Toyota customer for decades and made that clear when taking to customer sat folks at Toyota. Also this 4Runner has been serviced 100% at one dealer since it was purchased new and all those records are visible to them. I am hopeful that they will do the right thing and cover this one. I won't know until next Tuesday.

My bet is they will cover at least some of it, if not all. Good luck, and please keep us all posted on the outcome!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
OK I got the decision tonight. Toyota agreed to cover the cost of the parts and I have to eat the labor. It works out to about a 50-50 split between us. Since it was totally outside of warranty I am OK with the decision and don't plan to to push it further.

I get my 4Runner back tomorrow and I go camping this weekend. Life is good.:1888fbbd:

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
That crack isn't vehicle specific. It's the one flaw of the 4.7L V8's design. The engine is sweet, but those manifolds are weak. Some day I'll fix mine with a set of headers, but I'm waiting for the rest of the exhaust to fall apart so I can fix it all at once. Luckily the Tundra actually gets aftermarket support in the header department.....
Glad Toyota covered the cost for you.....which leads to the question......How much does an OEM manifold cost anyway?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Dealer said the parts cost was around $700, That would include the gaskets and any other misc parts associated with the manifold replacement.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
$700 for an exhaust manifold! What is it a Mercedes!? Glad you didn't have to pay for that part, but if the labor is that much to install it I would do it myself and save a ton of coin. JMHO.

Moody

Needs to get out more
That sounds fair. Good job getting it worked out.

I'd love to see where it cracks specifically on a manifold that has been removed.

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
Very common on the 4.7's. The issue is related to the design of the manifold. For emissions reasons manufacturers are making the manifolds thinner so that it will heat up fast and get the cats to heat up fast. That way they can reduce cold start emissions. So they manufacturers are driven to this. The manifold is a flange style with tubes welded to it. Early designs did not have a lot of weld on the joint and that is what cracks. They can be remove, re-welded and reinstalled. The problem is that you could warp the flange when doing to so and thus create leaks.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I got my 4Runner back today. Nice to have that annoying exhaust tick gone again. :wings:

There are different designs as I understand it. Mine was a one piece manifold that includes the catalytic converter. That's why the assembly was so expensive.

Although I have to agree with some of the posts in this subject. If it happens to me again I will probably just go to a custom exhaust shop and have them build me something that will last.

dyogim

Explorer
If it was anything like the early 1 Gen tundras, the cracked manifold was all too common for both the driver and passender side. I'm on my 3rd set of stock exhaust manifolds because of this. The only reason I haven't gone aftermarket is because I got the stock ones for free. If it happens again, I have a 4th set sitting on a shelf in my garage. Unless, I can get a great deal on a set of JBA's. Here's a pic of the cracked manifold flange. I inserted a pic to help identify the crack better.

attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles