Molle Panels for my Gen 1 Tacoma

oliverlove

Adventurer
Hey guys, I was looking at the super cool Molle panels from Springtail solutions for FJ's and came up with an idea. I have a 2001 extended cab and runn a RTT in the summers on road trips. It sits on a rack I had made, just below the roof line. As a result my rear view is nothing but tent. I was curious if I could make/pay someone to make some Molle panels to cover the rear window. Maybe leave the slider exposed so the glass could be used, and L.E. wouldn't give me a hard time if they were to stop me.

I contacted springtail and they said for liability reasons they can't make them for me. So, anyone crafty out there that wants to give this a try? Or does anyone have a better idea?

thefiringline

Maybe your best bet is to contact someone who makes tactical gear and has been known to do custom stuff.

I know people who have custom tactical gear made by John Willis at Original Special Operations Equipment. His wait times are pretty long because he does prioritize orders for military personnel, but he makes good stuff and has built his business on making custom gear for people.

corax

Explorer
I looked into this awhile ago and started this thread with some of my findings. For example, take a tape measure to your local big-box home improvement store and measure the spacing on wire shelves. if the wires are 1" center to center, MOLLE gear will lace up just fine. Use your imagination, any kind of wire shelving with 1" spacing will work - old refrigerator shelves, grill grates, etc. - just try to lace up your gear before you hard mount anything, thicker wires can make it tighter to lace up.
windowbar8.jpg

Smittybilt also makes these fabric panels: http://www.smittybilt.com/gear.htm

Last edited:

oliverlove

Adventurer
Hey guys. I was thinking something a little more sturdy that could really be the base for a lot of gear. My 'back seat' area has become home to the pooch, so storage space is at a premium.

I circled a few bolt holes that I have uncovered both in getting ready to install some sound deadening materials, and while removing the now useless rear seatbelts.

I am curious if I could build a frame that spans the width of the cab, that would bolt to the pre-existing sopts, that could carry some weight.

img0522painted.jpg

Circles show where the seat belt and the upper padding from the rear seat bolt into the wall.

img0521painted.jpg

Red shows where there was a car seat attachment spot, and where the seatbelt used to mount.

oliverlove

Adventurer
Upcountry - Thanks for the heads up! I figure it would simply be another thing for a LEO to gawk at as we rumbled by.

corax - good find on those seat covers. I wish there was a bit more room behind the seats, those covers look pretty cool. I think they would be really useful to someone with a double cab. Those over head panels have given me a few ideas.

I love the setup you made. I wish I had a bit more garage space and time to come up with something similar.:elkgrin:

oliverlove

Adventurer
Kai, do you have any close up pictures of our setup?

It looks like you have an alimunim bar bolted to the rear door. Don't your pouches move around a lot as they are only attached at one point?

kai38

Explorer
Kai, do you have any close up pictures of our setup?

It looks like you have an alimunim bar bolted to the rear door. Don't your pouches move around a lot as they are only attached at one point?

I'll have to search my pictures for a close up.
I have spacers between the 1in flat aluminum bar bolted to the rear panel. The bags stay in place with out them being weaved in and out a second bar. I also have the same set up but with the 2nd bar on my dash for extra storage. I only have the bags on the rear on one side because they are to close to the vent on my fridge when its mounted in the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles