What you can do to your Tacoma 4.0 ... but should you?!?

Trail100

Observer
Just finished an install on a customers Tacoma: TRD supercharger, STS turbo, Zex nitrous, methanol injection, air to air and air to water intercoolers. Just waiting on the Unichip piggy back ecu to take it on a test drive. Not something you would do to an expedition rig...just sharing.:sombrero:

CIMG3445s.jpg

CIMG3443s.jpg

shmabs

Explorer
Thats some serious $, people around here seem to have no problem dumping tons of cash into newer tacoma's. Do you work at mid city?

Mike

upcountry

Explorer
Funny, I never thought my Tacoma was underpowered. But, I used to drive a vanagon syncro so I guess my understanding of what underpowered is is different than others?

Nice clean install though...one question....where is the air cleaner/filter located?

Trail100

Observer
NIIIIICE!!! Make sure to post up some #'s on it when you get it running.

Not likely to happen, cust. will most likely take it to his own tuner down South, I'll see if I can get a hold of some numbers though.

shmabs said:
Thats some serious $, people around here seem to have no problem dumping tons of cash into newer tacoma's.

Yeah, with everything we've done he's into parts/labor as much as the truck costs (stuff other than engine mods. have been done). I never question the money side of it, but it does seem to grow on trees up here.:elkgrin:

upcountry said:
Nice clean install though...one question....where is the air cleaner/filter located?

Thanks, the air filter is against the inner bedside on the front pass. side, you can see the black hose leading off the turbo inlet on the second pic.

Detslider said:
Will the stock internals of the motor handle all that added stuff?

Where are the intecoolers mounted?

We'll see how the engine holds up, it really needs an o-ringed/studded block and different cams.

The intercoolers are the stock TRD supercharger one that is in front of the A/C condenser (had to relocate the coolant pump) and the air/to air is mounted below and in front of that, air gets to it through the vent in the bumper.

downhill

Adventurer
It's pretty cool,...in the same way 44" jugs are. Once you get past the WOW factor :Wow1: , then the questions is: What the hell am I going to do with it?? :rolleyes:

Trail100

Observer
^^Agreed, not my thing. I thought it was fine with just the S/C, lift and leather but that doesn't matter it's his truck, not mine

Trail100

Observer
First run...shredded the supercharger belt, found lower pulley alignment off and did some machining to the tensioner bracket spacers, much better. Second run ..shredded belt #2, figured out that rpm was ballooning and colapsing tensioner causing belt to come off pulleys. Fabricated solid adjustable tensioner to keep belt from being able to move TRD spring type that comes with S/C kit. Next few passes ..FUN, got to turn on nitrous, methanol etc. Pulls like crazy under boost when tires aren't spinning. Latest run, barely pulled boosted load on freeway on-ramp, engine starts fast high pitched/loud clatter :Wow1: Gonna pull pass. side V/C next week and take a peek, but already made a call to LC engineering to start building a stronger bottom end.:sombrero:

Danimal

Adventurer
Wait, you made dyno runs and didn't post the graphs? Or even give numbers?

EDIT: Oh, and I guess the question in the title of the thread has been answered...

kjp1969

Explorer
When you're all done, your customer will have an SRT-10, or a Lightning. But without the warranty. :sombrero:

trump

Adventurist
I really want to hear what the turbo and supercharger sound like together. Probably too much of a good thing, but interesting nonetheless.

Trail100

Observer
Wait, you made dyno runs and didn't post the graphs? Or even give numbers?

EDIT: Oh, and I guess the question in the title of the thread has been answered...

No dyno runs .. we don't even have one near by .. haha

Now raise your hand if you're surprised that happened...

Not suprised, cust was aware I was pulling the pin on a grenade when I finished installing everything, it was just a matter of time. LC says there is some guy in Africa out to build the fastest 4.0 1GR and is close to 1500 HP so stronger parts are available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke