ABS warning light

beerhiker

Adventurer
04 Tacoma Dbl cab; at start up tonight ABS warning light on dash stays lit and my driver turn signal out. How are these 2 related? I will get new bulb for signal, but what about ABS? ABS is not operational. I'll check fuse but anything else I should be aware of?
Thanks

HOOLIGAN

The 4x4 Podcast
Call around to some of the auto parts store in your area. Most have a scanner that will read check engine codes and they will let you check them for free in their parking lot. MAKE SURE YOU ASK IF THE SCANNER READS ABS CODES. Not all of them will. The Advance Auto's around here didn't, but AutoZone's scanner did.

I really don't think the two problems are related. Replace the turn signal bulb while you're there using the scanner.

zolo

Explorer
How many miles?

Very well could be a wheel speed sensor.
A good scanner will tell you if that's the case.

SilverBullet

Explorer
If the sensor for wheel speed is out (like mentioned above) this could do it. Also, if your Tacoma has the factory locker, check that system as well. I had a sensor in my 4Runner (position sensor I guess) go out once, it deactivated the system and lit the light.

trump

Adventurist
Do you have a scanguage? I'm guessing probably not if you haven't pulled the code, but they sometimes cause the ABS light to come on during start-up if their settings are reset.

beerhiker

Adventurer
Update: Well I knew it was just too much of a coincidence for ABS and a light to out at the exact same time and be unrelated...a squirrel or a rat ate the main wiring harness at the firewall, many wires severed, bare copper showing and the Tacoma kept running. I have a rental car now until it can be fixed, estimate is running $1k-$2k, but good news is insurance will cover all but my rental car. It's now war against the vermin!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles