PDA

View Full Version : Opionions of Wheeler's HD front and rear springs?

DaveM
01-18-2012, 04:52 PM
I was wondering what people here think ( or know) about Wheelers off road HD replacement front & rear springs?

Shocks on my '04 taco need to be replaced and my 31" BFGs rub on full lock. I need an inexpensive, mild lift - 1.5". I was thinking of going with their 5 leaf 1.5" lift HD rear leafs and matching front coils; plus their Rough Country 9000 shocks. Parts bill would be around $900.

I don't do heavy wheeling off road, mostly back country exploring/camping on mild to semi rough forest service roads etc. The truck is a daily driver otherwise. Biggest loads are my camping gear at anywhere from #200 - #300 I'd estimate.

My question is does anyone know that the quality of these components are? What the ride quality might be? Do these tend to be stiff or loose? Whatever you can tell me. It m ay be a moot point since I really can't afford anything else, just need to know if this would be an improvement or a waste of money.

Thanks,
David

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm

Owyhee H
01-18-2012, 04:59 PM
I dont have any experience with that setup but for the same money or less you can get the OME front springs, struts, rear shocks, and an AAL. Lots of people have good luck with the OME. There is also toytec, they seem to have a variety of kits for different needs and applications. I have never liked the Rough Country parts but it may just be me...

DaveM
01-19-2012, 02:24 AM
I believe the Wheeler HD front coils ARE OME, and the rear leafs are Alcan. I'm trying to avoid AALs alone since they have a reputation for adding stiffness even when they are of the "soft" variety. But you're right the OME kit is not that much more than the setup I described. In my case though the extra $200 is enough to kill the deal since I'll need a shop to do at least some of the install for me.

upcountry
01-19-2012, 02:44 AM
I cant speak to the springs, but I have bought a lot of parts from Wheelers. I have never had any issue with the product or their service. I have actually found them a great vendor to deal with.

DaveM
01-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I have a related question; can I expect to get anything for my old suspension parts? The shocks are worthless of course, but what about the springs? Nothing broken, they seem to be in good shape, no rust to speak of.

upcountry
01-19-2012, 04:02 PM
I have a related question; can I expect to get anything for my old suspension parts? The shocks are worthless of course, but what about the springs? Nothing broken, they seem to be in good shape, no rust to speak of.

Probably not much. I sold my stock Billstein/Coilovers from my 2007 TRD when I went to OME 885s and OME Nitrochargers for $75.

DaveM
01-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Still, good to know, anything I can get back will help. I'd be pretty happy to get a couple hundred or so for the coils and leafs together. Thanks!

As for the Wheeler stuff, still interested in hearing from anyone who has those actual parts. I know Wheeler's good to do business with, I've been in contact with them before (very helpful). And of course you get you pay for, just want to make sure I'm net getting LESS than I would be paying for! :)

NCjeyota
01-20-2012, 12:34 AM
I bought Wheelers 5 leaf pack last year for my 04 Tacoma double cab and OME 881 coils for the front with Bilstein 5100's all the way around and it was a great improvement over stock. It was a smooth ride even with a load in the bed. I would recommend them. Unfortunately 5 months after I did this suspension upgrade on my Tacoma it was stolen and never recovered.

skrillah
01-20-2012, 02:00 AM
You are in luck, I bought the exact setup you are describing last summer. Its a great kit and the guys at Wheelers are the best.

To confirm, I've got the Rough Country 9000 shocks all around, with the 5-leaf wheelers springs with OME 880 up front. I had the front struts assembled for me, and definitely worth the money, all new hardware and top plate and got both sides installed within an hour. I got the greaseable OME shackles, ubolts, and main eye bolts for the rear. If you live anywhere where salt is used, you'll want to order all this without question, that way you can just cut it out if need be and not worry about it. With all this, I think I got it all shipped to Indiana for around $1200. Best $1200 I've spent on my truck though.

My truck is an '04 with around 105k on the clock (92k when I changed it all out). My truck is a daily driver and sees about 90 miles a day. With the whole setup, after settling, it came out to be roughly 1-2 inches over stock and rides much better. The control over bumps, and overall handling improved drastically. Unfortunately, the kind of work my truck does during the week, it doesn't see much in the way of off-road travel right now. Though, it has been on numerous fire and state forest roads and again, much improved over stock. This won't be a rock crawling suspension but for a daily driver, camping, light-duty expedition vehicle, its great. I never saw a MPG difference either, which was a big factor in my purchase over a larger one like a full OME given the miles that I drive.

I have a boat that I tow twice a year (to the lake at the beginning of the season and at the end), roughly about 3500-4000 lbs with around 300 lbs in tongue weight. Huge difference in handling, sway, ride, and with very little sag in the rear. I was impressed. As someone else said, the springs are Alcan brand and have proven themselves to me. It takes them a few thousand miles to break in, mine squeaked a little to begin with and occasionally still pop on weird off camber angles but both were minor.

Let me know of any questions or if I can be of any help for the install. I got mine done in about 5 hours with help from a friend.

Cheers~
Kyle

DaveM
01-20-2012, 02:04 AM
I bought Wheelers 5 leaf pack last year for my 04 Tacoma double cab and OME 881 coils for the front with Bilstein 5100's all the way around and it was a great improvement over stock. It was a smooth ride even with a load in the bed. I would recommend them. Unfortunately 5 months after I did this suspension upgrade on my Tacoma it was stolen and never recovered.

I was talking to Dan from Wheelers today comparing options between their AALs and the 5 leaf pack and this was more or less where I ended up, doing the Wheeler HD springs but using 5100s instead of the Rough Country shocks. The AAL would save me save me a good deal of money but I don't think I would be satisfied with it. We'll see, still pondering. I may end up just changing shocks and skipping the lift.

Sorry to hear about your truck though. That sucks.

upcountry
01-20-2012, 02:48 AM
If you have wheelers assemble the struts it is worth noting that Toytec will do the assembly with parts for around $90. I think wheelers advertises $200 as the cost for their assem ly wjth parts. May be room to negotiate there.......

Don't get me wrong. I like wheelers. But when another reputable comlany is charging half the price it begs the question.

DaveM
01-20-2012, 05:27 PM
I agree, I think I priced strut assembly at midas or some other similar shop locally at $25 per strut! I think they know its a hassle and take advantage of that when pricing the service.

DirectDrive
01-20-2012, 06:16 PM
I believe the Wheeler HD front coils ARE OME, and the rear leafs are Alcan. I'm trying to avoid AALs alone since they have a reputation for adding stiffness even when they are of the "soft" variety. But you're right the OME kit is not that much more than the setup I described. In my case though the extra $200 is enough to kill the deal since I'll need a shop to do at least some of the install for me.
Yep. OME coils.
Alcan has a very good rep. These or OME Dakar leaf springs are amongst the most popular aftermarket Taco leaf springs.
I like your lift package except for the redneck shocks. I would go for the OME shocks if the budget allowed.

If you're shopping price on OME suspension parts, check with ToyTec (they may assemble the front C/O's at no charge depending on what you buy).
Also check with Downsouth Motorsports ....call these guys because they have more than is shown on website.

DaveM
01-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Ok, backing off the full lift for now, I don't have enough cash on hand for what I want. I still need new shocks though. I know I want the Bilstein 5100s for my lift but can I use them on the stock suspension for the time being? I want to be sure the fronts don't lift at all, even at the lowest adjustable setting.

Also wondering if the extended travel of the rear shocks is a problem with the rear leafs? I read somewhere that it might require a new bump stop?

If using the adjustable 5100s and later adding the OME 880 or 881 up front, will the coil alone provide the lift or do I still need to pre load with the 5100s adjustable collar?

Thanks for helping sort this out guys!

DirectDrive
01-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Also wondering if the extended travel of the rear shocks is a problem with the rear leafs? I read somewhere that it might require a new bump stop?

If using the adjustable 5100s and later adding the OME 880 or 881 up front, will the coil alone provide the lift or do I still need to pre load with the 5100s adjustable collar?

I would call Downsouth Motorsports and run your questions by them.
They are the foremost experts on Tacoma Billsteins in the US and usually have the best prices as well.

Adam Baum
01-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Ok, backing off the full lift for now, I don't have enough cash on hand for what I want. I still need new shocks though. I know I want the Bilstein 5100s for my lift but can I use them on the stock suspension for the time being? I want to be sure the fronts don't lift at all, even at the lowest adjustable setting.

I have an approx: 2" lift with my 5100 set at "0" & OME 881's. Marco @ DSM said that if I used the stock springs with the 5100's set at "0" then the truck would not have raised at all.

DaveM
02-07-2012, 02:08 AM
I would call Downsouth Motorsports and run your questions by them.
They are the foremost experts on Tacoma Billsteins in the US and usually have the best prices as well.

So Wheeler's says no issue with 5100s and stock springs. But I emailed Downsouth and they replied that rear 5100s were designed for at least 1" of lift and will be a bit too long for stock leafs. The result is the shocks will bottom out before the truck hits the bump stop. Not sure what to do. Annoyed with always having a compromise to make with my trucks upgrades.

upcountry
02-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I say stick with the 5100s, take off the rear shocks and find a ramp of some sort (most grocery stores have a loading ramp that will work) and take some measurements. Then get a new bumpstop to make up the difference. Aftermarket bumpsrops are cheap and easy to find in all sizes.

Blackdawg
02-08-2012, 12:46 AM
I am running these leafs as well as the AAL they make for it. The 5 pack, aal and 1.5'' shackles give me 4.5'' of lift on my 96 tacoma and hold a good amount of weight. I drove it for about a week with just the packs and shackles and it was nice too. They squat at around 100lbs in the bed and ride great like that. I got the AAL cause i had bro lean with my Eibach front coils and wanted rake so i added the custom AAL. Now its pretty rough street riding but with a bit of weight back there its awesome.

With just the 5 pack and shackles, 5100s and Eibachs up front

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/GMCBlackdog/truck/Resampled_2011-07-29_17-25-03_695.jpg

after aal.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/GMCBlackdog/truck/Resampled_2011-08-05_19-06-10_86.jpg

how it flexes??

good :cool:

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/GMCBlackdog/Meets/PA081598.jpg
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/GMCBlackdog/Meets/PA081597.jpg
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/GMCBlackdog/truck/Resampled_2011-08-13_20-16-52_411.jpg
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/GMCBlackdog/truck/P1221809.jpg
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/GMCBlackdog/truck/P1221812.jpg
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/GMCBlackdog/truck/P1221810.jpg

All in all I'm pretty happy for now. Was my best option as I'm a 96 and i didn't want to relocate my leaf hangers. But i am adding a bed/roof rack and steel wrap around plate bumper with tire swing so we will see how they hold up. Next leafs I'm gonna get are Allpro Expos and ill just suck it up and relocate the hangers.

Rattler
02-08-2012, 02:15 AM
]Wheelers is an awesome vendor. I have dealt with them several times. When I decided to go with Bilsteins last summer so I could get rid of my coilspacers I called them. I ended up with the Bilsteins all the way around and the OMEs up front. Well the front ended up being a little higher than I wanted but I ended up with "1 blocks ou back (along with AALs I had). It rode kinda crappy until I got the blocks back there. Now it has a great ride (especially in the dirt now). I am running 285/75/16s on FZJ80 wheels. My big reason for going a little higher was to eliminate a bit of rubbing at full lock. I still have a little but it is a lot better. I am sure a set of wheelspacers would have cured it but probably would have started some other rubbing/problem.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85337[/ATTACH

DaveM
02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
I need to resolve this before spring, planning a few local trips but I don't want to go anywhere without new shocks first.

Lift is out for now, unless I miraculously find full time work in the next two months! Is there a non lift Bilstein with the same performance as the 5100s? My reading online suggests the HDs would be much stiffer. Is anyone here actually running the 5100s on stick rear leafs on a taco? I should probably post a new question about this or go over to TTORA.

Rattler
02-08-2012, 06:37 PM
I need to resolve this before spring, planning a few local trips but I don't want to go anywhere without new shocks first.

Lift is out for now, unless I miraculously find full time work in the next two months! Is there a non lift Bilstein with the same performance as the 5100s? My reading online suggests the HDs would be much stiffer. Is anyone here actually running the 5100s on stick rear leafs on a taco? I should probably post a new question about this or go over to TTORA.

You might even get an answer that isn't non-degrading. Too many smartasses over there but I do search for info there when needed sometimes.

Blackdawg
02-08-2012, 08:49 PM

Yes you can run 5100s with stock coils, just simply put the adjustable plate to the lowest setting and your good to go.

however for stock rear tacos, 5100s are actually a bit to long and you risk slamming the shock on top itself as it trys to compress to much. So instead a shorter 5125 is recommended for tacomas still on stock leafs, especially if they are old leafs and are sagging.

If you don't do a ton of offloading you'll probably be fine with just 5100s in the rear tho. If you do plan on taking some trips that go of the road..you don't want to blow a shock haha

id also recommend going over to tacomaworld. Im a very active person over there and there are literally hundreds of thread about 5100s and all the other billy shocks and lift options.

all in all, call DSM(downsouthmotorsports) They are considered the experts on Blistein shocks and they will hook you up with the right stuff and have the best pricing for them. Its where i got my 5100s and 5150s.

DaveM
02-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks Blackdog,

Yeah I'm not worried about the fronts, just the rear shocks. Tacomaword has a lot of good info, I'll look around there. I'm now considering doing the Toytec 1" shackles in the rear to accommodate the 5100s. Then I can do to the small lift setting on the front 5100s (.85") hopefully clearing my tires enough to eliminate or reduce the rubbing at full lock. Not as good as replacing the springs but should give me what I need, at a price I can handle right now and I'll have the 5100s in if I decide to replace the springs later.

Blackdawg
02-09-2012, 04:20 AM
Thanks Blackdog,

Yeah I'm not worried about the fronts, just the rear shocks. Tacomaword has a lot of good info, I'll look around there. I'm now considering doing the Toytec 1" shackles in the rear to accommodate the 5100s. Then I can do to the small lift setting on the front 5100s (.85") hopefully clearing my tires enough to eliminate or reduce the rubbing at full lock. Not as good as replacing the springs but should give me what I need, at a price I can handle right now and I'll have the 5100s in if I decide to replace the springs later.

That is a good idea too man, a bit of future proofing. I have toyotech 1.5'' shackles and am very happy with them.