Opionions of Wheeler's HD front and rear springs?

DaveM

Explorer
I was wondering what people here think ( or know) about Wheelers off road HD replacement front & rear springs?

Shocks on my '04 taco need to be replaced and my 31" BFGs rub on full lock. I need an inexpensive, mild lift - 1.5". I was thinking of going with their 5 leaf 1.5" lift HD rear leafs and matching front coils; plus their Rough Country 9000 shocks. Parts bill would be around $900.

I don't do heavy wheeling off road, mostly back country exploring/camping on mild to semi rough forest service roads etc. The truck is a daily driver otherwise. Biggest loads are my camping gear at anywhere from #200 - #300 I'd estimate.

My question is does anyone know that the quality of these components are? What the ride quality might be? Do these tend to be stiff or loose? Whatever you can tell me. It m ay be a moot point since I really can't afford anything else, just need to know if this would be an improvement or a waste of money.

Thanks,
David

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm

Last edited:

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I dont have any experience with that setup but for the same money or less you can get the OME front springs, struts, rear shocks, and an AAL. Lots of people have good luck with the OME. There is also toytec, they seem to have a variety of kits for different needs and applications. I have never liked the Rough Country parts but it may just be me...

DaveM

Explorer
I believe the Wheeler HD front coils ARE OME, and the rear leafs are Alcan. I'm trying to avoid AALs alone since they have a reputation for adding stiffness even when they are of the "soft" variety. But you're right the OME kit is not that much more than the setup I described. In my case though the extra $200 is enough to kill the deal since I'll need a shop to do at least some of the install for me.

upcountry

Explorer
I cant speak to the springs, but I have bought a lot of parts from Wheelers. I have never had any issue with the product or their service. I have actually found them a great vendor to deal with.

DaveM

Explorer
I have a related question; can I expect to get anything for my old suspension parts? The shocks are worthless of course, but what about the springs? Nothing broken, they seem to be in good shape, no rust to speak of.

upcountry

Explorer
I have a related question; can I expect to get anything for my old suspension parts? The shocks are worthless of course, but what about the springs? Nothing broken, they seem to be in good shape, no rust to speak of.

Probably not much. I sold my stock Billstein/Coilovers from my 2007 TRD when I went to OME 885s and OME Nitrochargers for $75.

DaveM

Explorer
Still, good to know, anything I can get back will help. I'd be pretty happy to get a couple hundred or so for the coils and leafs together. Thanks!

As for the Wheeler stuff, still interested in hearing from anyone who has those actual parts. I know Wheeler's good to do business with, I've been in contact with them before (very helpful). And of course you get you pay for, just want to make sure I'm net getting LESS than I would be paying for! :)

NCjeyota

I bought Wheelers 5 leaf pack last year for my 04 Tacoma double cab and OME 881 coils for the front with Bilstein 5100's all the way around and it was a great improvement over stock. It was a smooth ride even with a load in the bed. I would recommend them. Unfortunately 5 months after I did this suspension upgrade on my Tacoma it was stolen and never recovered.

skrillah

Adventurer
You are in luck, I bought the exact setup you are describing last summer. Its a great kit and the guys at Wheelers are the best.

To confirm, I've got the Rough Country 9000 shocks all around, with the 5-leaf wheelers springs with OME 880 up front. I had the front struts assembled for me, and definitely worth the money, all new hardware and top plate and got both sides installed within an hour. I got the greaseable OME shackles, ubolts, and main eye bolts for the rear. If you live anywhere where salt is used, you'll want to order all this without question, that way you can just cut it out if need be and not worry about it. With all this, I think I got it all shipped to Indiana for around $1200. Best $1200 I've spent on my truck though.

My truck is an '04 with around 105k on the clock (92k when I changed it all out). My truck is a daily driver and sees about 90 miles a day. With the whole setup, after settling, it came out to be roughly 1-2 inches over stock and rides much better. The control over bumps, and overall handling improved drastically. Unfortunately, the kind of work my truck does during the week, it doesn't see much in the way of off-road travel right now. Though, it has been on numerous fire and state forest roads and again, much improved over stock. This won't be a rock crawling suspension but for a daily driver, camping, light-duty expedition vehicle, its great. I never saw a MPG difference either, which was a big factor in my purchase over a larger one like a full OME given the miles that I drive.

I have a boat that I tow twice a year (to the lake at the beginning of the season and at the end), roughly about 3500-4000 lbs with around 300 lbs in tongue weight. Huge difference in handling, sway, ride, and with very little sag in the rear. I was impressed. As someone else said, the springs are Alcan brand and have proven themselves to me. It takes them a few thousand miles to break in, mine squeaked a little to begin with and occasionally still pop on weird off camber angles but both were minor.

Let me know of any questions or if I can be of any help for the install. I got mine done in about 5 hours with help from a friend.

Cheers~
Kyle

DaveM

Explorer
I bought Wheelers 5 leaf pack last year for my 04 Tacoma double cab and OME 881 coils for the front with Bilstein 5100's all the way around and it was a great improvement over stock. It was a smooth ride even with a load in the bed. I would recommend them. Unfortunately 5 months after I did this suspension upgrade on my Tacoma it was stolen and never recovered.

I was talking to Dan from Wheelers today comparing options between their AALs and the 5 leaf pack and this was more or less where I ended up, doing the Wheeler HD springs but using 5100s instead of the Rough Country shocks. The AAL would save me save me a good deal of money but I don't think I would be satisfied with it. We'll see, still pondering. I may end up just changing shocks and skipping the lift.

Sorry to hear about your truck though. That sucks.

upcountry

Explorer
If you have wheelers assemble the struts it is worth noting that Toytec will do the assembly with parts for around $90. I think wheelers advertises $200 as the cost for their assem ly wjth parts. May be room to negotiate there.......

Don't get me wrong. I like wheelers. But when another reputable comlany is charging half the price it begs the question.

DaveM

Explorer
I agree, I think I priced strut assembly at midas or some other similar shop locally at $25 per strut! I think they know its a hassle and take advantage of that when pricing the service.

DirectDrive

Observer
I believe the Wheeler HD front coils ARE OME, and the rear leafs are Alcan. I'm trying to avoid AALs alone since they have a reputation for adding stiffness even when they are of the "soft" variety. But you're right the OME kit is not that much more than the setup I described. In my case though the extra $200 is enough to kill the deal since I'll need a shop to do at least some of the install for me.
Yep. OME coils.
Alcan has a very good rep. These or OME Dakar leaf springs are amongst the most popular aftermarket Taco leaf springs.
I like your lift package except for the redneck shocks. I would go for the OME shocks if the budget allowed.

If you're shopping price on OME suspension parts, check with ToyTec (they may assemble the front C/O's at no charge depending on what you buy).
Also check with Downsouth Motorsports ....call these guys because they have more than is shown on website.

DaveM

Explorer
5100s on the stock springs?

Ok, backing off the full lift for now, I don't have enough cash on hand for what I want. I still need new shocks though. I know I want the Bilstein 5100s for my lift but can I use them on the stock suspension for the time being? I want to be sure the fronts don't lift at all, even at the lowest adjustable setting.

Also wondering if the extended travel of the rear shocks is a problem with the rear leafs? I read somewhere that it might require a new bump stop?

If using the adjustable 5100s and later adding the OME 880 or 881 up front, will the coil alone provide the lift or do I still need to pre load with the 5100s adjustable collar?

Thanks for helping sort this out guys!

Last edited:

DirectDrive

Observer
Also wondering if the extended travel of the rear shocks is a problem with the rear leafs? I read somewhere that it might require a new bump stop?

If using the adjustable 5100s and later adding the OME 880 or 881 up front, will the coil alone provide the lift or do I still need to pre load with the 5100s adjustable collar?

Thanks for helping sort this out guys!
I would call Downsouth Motorsports and run your questions by them.
They are the foremost experts on Tacoma Billsteins in the US and usually have the best prices as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94