Glove Box will not open... sigh...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
So, I had an annoying glove box rattle at the lever (handle) so I went to the dealer and bought a new one and replaced it ($20)... no more rattle.

Problem is that now after a while I tried to open the glove box... not working. There is a metal actuator rod that connects the lever to the latch mechanism and it has obviously come loose inside.

:confused:

Has anyone else dealt with this and if so, how do you open the glove box or get at this to fix it???

Thanks in advance!

Finlay

Triarius
The "hinge" on the tacoma glove box just snaps onto the dashboard at 2 or 3 spots. I think, maybe, you can with some effort undo the hinge and then remove the glove box. Alternatively, you might try prying the dash and the glove box apart where the latch meets.

It's like 10 degrees out and snowing to beat the band, so I am not going out to check on mine. ;-)

Hope that helps. Good luck.

downhill

Adventurer
Doc,
I went out and looked at mine this morning, and well, it ain't good. Attacking the hinge or trying to pry the door will just end up damaging the dash. Even if you popped the hinge off, the latch will still be caught with no way to access it. That latch is similar to a door latch. It rolls over center and latches. The latch has to be triggered by the handle to release. What's worse is that latch is inside the door panel. It's not even accessable from the inside of the glovebox. I was hoping maybe you could drill a tiny hole in a certain spot and push the latch back, but no dice. I think you're screwed. The only way I can see in without doing even bigger damage is to use a hole saw to drill an access hole in the lid where you can get the release rod with needle nose pliers or something similar. Of course you will have a hole to repair, replace the door, but at least the dash isn't messed up. Do you know whether the rod is disconnected from the latch or the handle?

Last edited:

keezer37

Explorer
I see no good way either. And this Glove Box is far and away the one place they really skimped on.

If I had to destroy something, I'd try for the latch if you could only get hold of the door at top. Alas, the dash protrudes. Perhaps a taped screwdriver to prevent excessive damage.

Note to self: Remove anything of value from Glove Box.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
can you pull the radio so you can get your hand up in there to push down the catch?

I don't have a 2nd gen taco, but I've had to do this on numerous other vehicles.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
can you pull the radio so you can get your hand up in there to push down the catch?

I don't have a 2nd gen taco, but I've had to do this on numerous other vehicles.

I could easily pull the center cluster but I'm 99% sure my big hand will not fit back in there behind and into the closed glove box... might be worth a try

Patman

Explorer
I could easily pull the center cluster but I'm 99% sure my big hand will not fit back in there behind and into the closed glove box... might be worth a try

That's what small handed wives are for...;)

I suppose the pass airbag hardware is only accessible through the glove box?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
That's what small handed wives are for...;)

I suppose the pass airbag hardware is only accessible through the glove box?

I know right?

Yeah, that and the cabin air filter, HVAC blower motor etc. Pretty crowded in there between the dash and the firewall...

I'm holding off on hacking into this in hopes that someone else has done this.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Do they make an aftermarket door that would lock? I might look at it as an opportunity to upgrade and just cut the old door apart and replace. I hope it has a quick, inexpensive fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste