Tacoma Flex Plate Failure

mojave joe

Observer
I finally upgraded wheels and tires, went with 33's. I'm planning on regearing, but having to commute several hundred miles a week til I can afford it. The truck shifts into overdive every few minutes with the tall tires. The flex plate gave up the other nite, I'm wondering if the constant down shifting could be the reason. Has anyone else had the problem? My mech is afraid it will break again soon if I don't get the gears right away.
....it's only got 284,950 miles..

mvbeggs

Adventurer
I finally upgraded wheels and tires, went with 33's. I'm planning on regearing, but having to commute several hundred miles a week til I can afford it. The truck shifts into overdive every few minutes with the tall tires...

Have you done anything to correct the inaccurate vehicle speed reported to the transmission and ECU due to the larger tires? This had a huge affect on my JKU's shift points when I went to the 37s.

mojave joe

Observer
LOL... I think it was due :)

Try manually running it in 4th gear and leave OD off.

I'm not terribly concerned with a stock replacement, since new I've pushed this little truck hard. I was just checking if by chance there was a common problem, to make my mech feel better about a stock replacement. He says he doesn't want to do it twice.
thanks-

justinh

Observer
I once owned a 1996 4runner limited v6 4x4 and the PO had the flex plate crack and replaced at around 120k miles, I owned it from 200k-225k (before selling it to a co-worker) and it is still going strong. That one was completely stock at the time it cracked and lady driven. I'm going to go with a "it just happens" on this and say throw one in there and forget about it. In all of the 3rd gen 4runners I've owned that I've had lifted with big tires I've never had one crack or seen another one crack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles