so I got pulled over and need to get some mud flaps on...

sweet trav

Adventurer
any ideas for how to fit them on or what to use for mud flaps? I have a 96 4runner with a toytec ultimate lift (3") with 265/75/16 mt tires.

I also have to mount up a front license plate...anyone know if I can mount it on the driver side ir does it have to be centered?

We live in norcal in case anyone needs to know that.

46386_431493412420_554392420_4892179_2431442_n.jpg

downhill

Adventurer
I've crossed alot of borders but the one that fills me with the most dread is the California border. I bought a single truckers flap and cut my own. It was $15. The trucker flaps are big, thick, and tough. I bolted the flaps to some 2" aluminum angle for mounting.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
License plate: It looks like you have a winch up front. They make a plate that attaches to the fairlead rollers with Mag-Lite holders. Won one in a raffle once, no winch so it sits in my garage waiting and being in the way.

Mud flaps: Could you attach them to the sliders in some manner? And to the wrap around rear bumper if that is being required?

Fix-it tickets really are a PITA. Glad they don't count towards points, but still. Good luck.

anthonyca

Observer
Do your tires stick out of the wheel wells? What agency gave you the ticket? I can't believe how long I have made it with no mud flaps on my 97 ram with 37"s.

habanero

96 4Runner
I ended up using conveyor belting to make mud flaps for my 96, got the idea from 92 Toy over on Yotatech...
249-4966_IMG.jpg
Used the screws that hold the trim on, made little aluminum brackets to attach the mudflap part to the body via the screw that hold the fender on. Fronts take a little more thought because of the angle of the wheel well, but it's doable. Wheels have been stuffed many a time over the year and a half they've been on but so far they're holding up fine. Keeps the rocks off the sides of my truck and other drivers when I'm on pavement.
There are prolly less hoopty ways to do it...

keezer37

Explorer
NAPA has three sizes of flaps. They are sturdy and inexpensive. The smallest should suffice. Looking at your vehicle, it appears mounting them well aft of the tires might be the route to take.

California Vehicle Code:

"California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle."
-as per Section 11713.17

" No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds."
-as per Section 27600

downhill

Adventurer
Well, at least they exempt semi trailers with an unladen weight of 1,500 pounds or less. That's a relief. My rear bumper is a wrap around, and has a side support going to the frame. I used that to attach the mudflap, but I did have to notch the bumper so that the flap extended out past the tire.

sweet trav

Adventurer
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to get started on these "fixes" this coming weekend after I gather some ideas. It was a chp that pulled me over. I also have to lighten the tint on my front two windows. this is lame but I guess rules are in place for a reason...sometimes.

CYi5

Explorer
01-04 Tacoma front mud flaps fit well up to a 32" tire (33" rubs a fair amount). Rear would be based on your bumper type I suppose.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
...also have to lighten the tint on my front two windows. this is lame but I guess rules are in place for a reason...sometimes.
Your photo may be a bit harsh on contrast.... but those side windows look opaque to me.

Unimpaired vision under low light or night conditions is important. I borrowed a 'customized' car once that had the rear window tinted so dark that all I could make out at night was just the headlights and not any other visible shapes behind me while driving on reasonably lit streets. If that was my car, I would have torn off that tint stuff the next day.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Your photo may be a bit harsh on contrast.... but those side windows look opaque to me.

Unimpaired vision under low light or night conditions is important. I borrowed a 'customized' car once that had the rear window tinted so dark that all I could make out at night was just the headlights and not any other visible shapes behind me while driving on reasonably lit streets. If that was my car, I would have torn off that tint stuff the next day.

The reason the police want low tint is so they can see what you are doing when they approach the vehicle.

From my miniscule knowledge and reasonable experience, it's a combination of the above... Combined with California's growing need for revenue.:ylsmoke:

MCL_68

Observer
Do your tires stick out of the wheel wells? What agency gave you the ticket? I can't believe how long I have made it with no mud flaps on my 97 ram with 37"s.
From the violations the OP listed.....it sounds like the CHP's handy work. :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles