What about "RV" refrigerators?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Lots, and LOTS of talk about the various chest style 'fridges.

What about the traditional RV style fridge?

My camper build will need one, probably in the 2-4CF range.

Any suggestions? Are there any on the market that are as efficient (or close) to the chest style ones Ive read about so many times on this forum?

Ill have ample propane on board, but would also like to have the ability to cool it with 12V when on the road.

And speaking about efficiency, just HOW efficient are they?

Whats the ExpoPortal say?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
IMO, ammonia absorption fridges are not nearly as good as a compressor type fridge/freezer. Personally , given a choice, go with the compressor fridge.
I say this having come from the wonderful world of a 43qt Edgestar fridge in our old offroad trailer to now a Dometic RV fridge in our Evolution E1. Disappointing to say the least. I think "cooler" is a more appropriate description. I have made many modifications to improve efficiency and will eventually have it "figured out". No where as simple and easy as setting the digital display and knowing you are within a few degrees any time you want it.

The option to run on propane once camp is set is nice as it lasts a very long time. However the Edgestar and a solar panel worked as well. Each could be plugged into 120V for pre-trip cooling.
If I could find a way to install a comparable fridge / freezer to replace the absorption fridge and it was cost effective for me, I'd likely replace mine.

Last edited:

FishPOET

Adventurer
The problem with RV style propane "absorption refrigerators" is if they are operated more than 3° out of level it could damage the cooling system. The 2 way Dometic in my TC is giving me troubles and when it finally goes out it will be getting replaced with one of the newer AC/DC compressor fridges.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
They do make 3-way fridges (propane/AC/DC) for the RV market, but most RV's use a two way fridge (propane/AC). Apparently the 3-way fridges are not very efficient when running on DC power. We have a two-way fridge/freezer in our camper, and it works well. Obviously, propane mode can't be used when traveling. We've found that food stays cold while on the road even with the fridge off, and you just need to remember to get the fridge going again when you reach camp.

The biggest concern I'd have is that I don't think the RV products are designed to take the bumps and jolts that come with a lot of off-road travel.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I've had them all, IMHO there is no comparison between them. On a hot day RV Fridges are 'just' OK if plugged into 120 volts or on propane all the time.
I have a Engel in our RV.
...just for fun, in the picture of our RV below, there's about $3,000.00 of wiring and components to make that $49.00 Microwave Oven work anywhere anytime.
(crazy look smiley face crap)
5575_1188362793790_1369941973_524613_4420474_n.jpg

Last edited:

cwsqbm

Explorer
The RV fridges I've had were ok (not great) when parked but useless when traveling. That was fine if we went somewhere and stayed put for a week or two, but not so good when we moved frequently. The extra money spent on a compressor fridge is well worth it in the long run.

jim65wagon

Once we get the teardrop finished, this Norcold DE-0751 is the fridge we have for it. It's a marine unit, with the same compressor as the chest units that Norcold sells. Haven't tried it out on 12V yet, but it works well on 120.

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
if you look on engel's website you will see a series of fridges use the same compressor and tech as the chest style that's common here. I have one in my popup camper that I installed to replace the three way dometic. Performance is very similar tot he engel in my truck. The amp draw is something to consider as most rv fridges use propane and therefore have no draw. So follow the same rules for your truck as you do for your camper. Also keep in mind that a vertical fridge allows the cold air to "spill"out of the fridge with the door open, where in a chest style the cold air is more dense and tends to "stay" in the fridge. The Engel vertical units are nice and fit standard openings that are common in the rv market.

So what about this Engel?

I know it isnt LP, but does it use the same tech as the chest freezers?

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=oKgcT_ToDsmniQKQgbnjCA&ved=0CJkBEPMCMAU

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
So it looks like its either 12vDC or propane then, right?

Is there a fridge using the proper compressor cooling that has the option to run on 12vDC or propane?

All of my searches come up empty.

If thats the case I have two options.

12vDC, Id have to increase my original deep cycle AH capacity by more than 2x to allow for a weekend worth of cooling. Big benefit, these 12vDC fridges do NOT require external venting, right?

or

LP gas only. Ive already got enough propane storage for this, but LP doesnt last forever. And you cannot "recharge" LP :snorkel:. LP will require external venting. More holes int he wall, more chances for leaks.

hmm.....

Thanks for the help guys.:ylsmoke:

fisher205

Explorer
I went with a typical refrigerator style, DC style in my Alaskan because of the leveling, venting, and not being able to run while driving issues over propne. I used the front opening for convenice both in fitting where the old refrigerator was, and easier to look into. I also was not that familiar with chest types that were available back then. In hindsight I would use a chest frig. Just more efficient.

I bought a Nova Kool for a little more reasonable price of frigs. They were developed for marine use.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Propane fridges operate under the ammonia absorption system. Ammonia is heated and convection moves it through the system. The tubes must be leveled to allow the flow to move uninterrupted. A blockage interrupts the flow and process. An electric heating element (12V or 120V) is also used to heat the system. Propane heat seems to be the most efficient for this type refrigeration system.

Compressor based systems use the pressure change to convert from liquid to gas. A 12V, or 120V pump mechanically compresses the refrigerant gas. There is no heating element in this system, therefore propane is not used.

Kinda simplified, hopefully that makes sense :)

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
My 12VDC Vitrifrigo fridge has a remote compressor that is mounted a couple feet away from the fridge and has a small cooling fan blowing across the coils. This set up has the compressor and cooling fan mounted just inside a vent to the outside. The fringe is mounted inside an insulated Cabinet to help increase the efficiency.

That being said, these 12VDC fridges with Danfoss compressors don't generate that much heat so as long as the heat from the fridge is not confined to the cabinet and can dissipate easily into the the camper space it should work fine without external ventilation.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, looks like Im going to downsize my LP plans, and upgrade by AmpHour battery banks.

12VDC compressor fridge it is. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94