Solid front axle AND Coil springs

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
I've just returned from my first Baja Exploration trip with my RV where I found its weakness in traversing deep sand, even with its dually tires aired way down. It is equipped with rear Dana 70 with ARB locker and a transfer case (which is not yet connected to a front axle). The actual weight was 10100-lbs(10500GVWR).

I already have the IFS front axle and suspension parts from the K3500 donor vehicle I used to build-up the RV but I'm re-considering it out because of the RV front-end weight (heavy concealed bumper, winch, and 10500#GWVR).

So, I'm thinking of getting a Dana 60 and install it with coil springs. Why coil springs? For comfort, softer ride - it's an RV.

Any input, guidance, thoughts will be much appreciated, especially from Chris (Ujointclothing), ETbadger, and other 4x4 van owners.

Here's the vehicle specs:
1998 454 Vortec in a 79 Vandura G35 Dually B+ RV, 4L80E, BW4470/2.72-underdrive, ARB switchable 4.10:1 differential locker, 19.5 Rickson wheels, 34-inch 14-ply Bridgestone M724s.

Last edited:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
If you use a D60 from a Ford F250, it's already set for coils.

Donahoe Racing produces a 4 link conversion for the axle above - I'm sure the brackets can be adapted to your van.

And, again, Donahoe makes coil springs and shocks for the heavy duty Ford front axle ,as well as shock hoops and other needed items.

It might be worth investigating!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Adapting parts from other vehicles like the Superduty is going to be more trouble than it's worth. You're looking at a 100% custom job that needs to completed by someone that has excellent fabrication skills & knowledge. Where do you live? I would expect to pay well over 15K for a conversion like that (done right) Do it nice or do it twice................. :)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
That Dodge is a bad example, too many existing parts. Not sure if he stated a total cost, I didn't read all of it.You have to consider all of the fabrication involved. The upper coil mount needs to be strong enough to hold all the weight of the van, doing an engine x-over bar won't be possible due to an already tight engine compartment. Then a x-member needs to be made to support the 4-link bars, more fab work. The there's the trac bar, sway bar?, bumpstops & steering. Let alone the labor to remove the existing suspension, cleaning & prepping the frame, and the hours & hours involved with making sure everything will work. Materials alone will be allot of $$, the axle, heims,tubing, steel plate, steering components, brake lines, driveshaft, ram assist (recommended), coils or coil over's, and I'm sure there are a few odds & ends I'm forgetting. I was actually low balling with the 15K, I've done several 4 link conversions that went well over 20K. Here's a Willy's that we did a few years ago while the 4 link conversion was goin down.

16.jpg

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Or here's another option, my buddy's Excursion has a pretty nice suspension from One-Up-Offroad. You don't even want to know how much this setup costs....... :) BTW--those are 49's, and this think WORKS!!!

20.jpg

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
I want to add that this RV is not for serious rock-crawling. If I can just give the rear dually wheels a LITTLE help (from the front) on the sand dunes, that would be sufficient, short of not bringing sand-ladders. I need a part-power 4wd, not full or part-time :)

I'm thinking more toward the F350 Dana 60 because of the RV's GVWR. I believe the F250 supports 8000-GVWR.

15K to 20K - that's kind of pricey, considering I've already put more than $30K into the build-up of the RV; But keep em ideas/suggestions/alternatives coming.

Last edited:

gjackson

FRGS
I would consider getting rid of the dually's for a single tire at the rear. Duallys are not very good in sand any way you cut it.

cheers

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
ujointclothing said:
Or here's another option, my buddy's Excursion has a pretty nice suspension from One-Up-Offroad. You don't even want to know how much this setup costs....... :) BTW--those are 49's, and this think works

I guess "works" is all a matter of perspective.

G35, if you don't do your own fabrication, I suggest you talk to some local shops before you start collecting parts. Paying someone to do that much work will not be cheap....far from $15K though. Closer to $10K with alloy shafts, locker, and coil overs. Also, keep in mind that Ford Dana 60's, particularly the 78 and 79's are getting hard to find, and expensive when you do....particularly out west. There are plenty of guys around the Sonoran Desert that have paid over $1000 for a stock HP60 with kingpins....then immediatly dropped another $2500 into it for gears, locker, shafts, and seals.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The late model Ford D60's are the same axle between the F250's & F350's. No differences.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
gjackson said:
I would consider getting rid of the dually's for a single tire at the rear. Duallys are not very good in sand any way you cut it.

cheers

gjackson, I'm considering that - putting superwides in the rear. But I'll do more experimenting with the dually tires. With the wide Rickson wheels I can air down to 10psi and the tires won't even touch each other. The RV floats real well on sand dune flats but when going uphill on blow sand that's when I need traction from the front. It's very capable when the tires are properly aired-down. But the lack of 4WD limits it to a second-class expedition vehicle. I want to be able to go where the "big boys" go without resorting to sand/mud ladders each time I go there.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'm refering to the 99- current Ford axles. A good quality leaf spring should work fine for you, since you won't be haulin too much tail in a rig that large. The key will be length of the front springs. It will be simpler to go leafs.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
ORD has a linkage/coil spring kit in the works for K5's etc. Might worth talking to them about your application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior