Battery Isolator Installation For Auxilliary Battery

PAbob

I am looking to run a "hot" wire from my 2005 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 4x4 truck (non-TRD, no Tow Pkg) for charging my truck camper's battery. I know I need to run an isolator, but wanted to see if anyone has some specific instructions/diagrams/pics. I have basic appliances in the camper and will not need a high amp isolator. The biggest concern is having enough power to run the refrig while on the road. I'll change it over to gas when parked so it doesn't run down the aux. battery. Thanks.

zolo

Explorer
Hellroaring isolator has done me good for a while now. Simple install and very reliable.
I run 2 Optima's and its done a great job keeping them separate. Also they have very good customer support for the install.
The Isolator itself is not cheap but I went through 2 Napa isolators that both failed pretty quick. So the cost up front will be worth it.

http://hellroaring.com/

keezer37

Explorer
Look through Hellroaring's site for various diagrams and read through the install directions. Many of your questions will be answered. For others, feel free to call/email. He tolerates a lot of questions as there are always many with electrical setups.

downhill

Adventurer
I don't use an isolator. I use a starter relay triggered by an acc wire. Pretty positive and simple. When the engine is running the relay allows the trailer/camper battery to charge. When the key is off, the relay opens and the truck battery is out of the loop. Just get a continous duty relay. You can run the camper battery dead with no worries of draining the truck battery. I've found isolators more trouble proned.

kai38

Explorer
I ran a heavy gauge wire from my battery to the 7pin trailer connector a wire from the trailer pin side to the battery on the trailer.
I put a 30 amp fuse in line close to both batteries. When the trailer is pluged into the 7 pin the "hot" wire charges the trailer battery.
As simple as that.

downhill

Adventurer
I ran a heavy gauge wire from my battery to the 7pin trailer connector a wire from the trailer pin side to the battery on the trailer.
I put a 30 amp fuse in line close to both batteries. When the trailer is pluged into the 7 pin the "hot" wire charges the trailer battery.
As simple as that.

That will work as long as you remember to pull the plug when you stop. Othewise you run the risk of running the truck battery down. If you use a relay, the disconnect is automatic.

keezer37

Explorer
Two things to look at before you begin are: First your priorities. Folks often speak of running accessories. All the creature comforts are for naught if your truck won't start. So think about how idiot-proof you want it to be. Will you be with others. How far away from help will you be.
Once that is done, start adding up the cost of what you want. This is something that can creep up on your wallet.

PAbob

Thanks for the feedback. After reviewing some other forums and the Hellroaring site, I'll probably go with an isolator and fuse link from the truck battery and run a shrinkwrapped 6 ga. to the camper. Running a wire from the 7 way seemed under-powered and probably wouldn't supply the voltage needed to keep up with battery drain while under load.

fjatheart

Adventurer
http://www.perfectswitch.com/

Check out http://www.perfectswitch.com/. I have used their isolators and relays. The owner is highly involved and the whole crew offers great tech support. These units are the highest quality. I've purchased 3 relays and 13 isolators all used in commercial laundry truck applications to run on board technology. Highly recommend them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles