Very slow and mild 04 Tundra DC build!!

jonesw3

Adventurer
After spending numerous hours reading other build threads I dedcided to make one of my own. As the title states it will be a slow and mild build process. I bought an 04 DC tundra may of 2011 and shortly after discovered the world of overland and expedition travel and have been hooked ever since. Keep in mind this is my daily drive and family vehicle so it wont be anything extreme.
To start... The only mod that was on the truck when I got it was a tonneau cover. Shortly after that I found a good deal on a WAAG brushguard on CL. Once I installed the brush guard it was time for it to breathe a little better with help from a magnaflo muffler and Kand N filter. Then came the tires, 32in Tread wright wardens ( BFG all terrain lookalikes) which I highly reccomend. Unfortunatley this is were the slow part begins. I was laid from work so all the build plans and priorties changed. The attached picture is how the truck sat at the time I was laid off.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    918.6 KB · Views: 103

jonesw3

Adventurer
The next plan was to upgrade to bilstein 5100s. But as usual that changed! I found a good deal on a set of IPF 689 driving lights.

IMG_1253.jpg

It was time to start saving for the 5100s again until I came across another CL find I couldnt pass up, a leer camper shell. Since I am on such a tight budget I decided to try my hand at painiting it myself.( with the help of a neighbor) Sorry I didnt get any before prep pictures.
IMG_1251.jpg

Reminder that this is being done in my garage and I have never done body work or paint before!
IMG_1252.jpg

jonesw3

Adventurer
After many hours of sanding and the help of a friend this is how it turned out.
View attachment 84124
Its far from show quality but it fits my needs and budget perfectly.
View attachment 84128
By the way, the Yakima rack came with the camper shell.

This was the day after the shell was painted and installed. Needless to say, it got some pin striping that weekend. As you can see the weather was aweful that weekend and the shell more than paid for itself after one trip.
View attachment 84129

jonesw3

Adventurer
My neighbors and I can get very competitive. So when one of my neighbors ( same one who helped paint the shell) built a roof rack for his Jeep I figured it was time for me to try some welding and metal fab. After looking at countless homemade racks on this site it was time to get started. First let me reiterate that I by no means clam to know what I am doing so you welders and fab guys out there dont get to critical please! I decided to build it out of 1in emt and somewhat mimic ARBs roof racks.
IMG_1264.jpg
IMG_1263.jpg
IMG_1265.jpg
IMG_1266.jpg

jonesw3

Adventurer
As she sits today.
IMG_1283.jpg

The next plans are to either build a sleeping platform or rock sliders. After remembering my last offroad trip Im guessing it will be rock sliders.

jonesw3

Adventurer
Thanks. The camper shell was the best $200 I have ever spent. The rack turned out pretty good considering that was only the second time I have attempted to weld. I wish I would have put expanded metal on the bottom of it or put a few more cross peices on it. But overall I am happy with it.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Nice Tundybird. My Tundra build goes in fit and starts too. You know, I think thats the first black Double Cab I've ever seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles