Mean Green Alts

FetusEater

So, my alternator on my 06 Taco is going out. And Im looking for a good replacement that will last and be up to the task of future add-ons. Ive been looking at the Mean Green product line and it looks good. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and if they are worth it. Thanks.

http://shop.mean-green.com/2008-05-TACOMA-40L-MG11139.htm

Oh, and hello all, Ive been here a while, lurking, and learning. This is truly a great wealth of experience and knowledge. I will be building up my truck slowly, Ill make sure to get a post up with some standard pics for a proper intro.

Expedition Leader
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and if they are worth it.

I have one in my 40 and like it, it was worth the money to me. I can run ham and cb radios, a fridge, upgraded headlights, an ipod amplifier, an ARB air compressor, a GPS, etc. all at the same time, without my headlights dimming even at idle. And a big winch too.

IMG_0748.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
So, my alternator on my 06 Taco is going out. And Im looking for a good replacement that will last and be up to the task of future add-ons. Ive been looking at the Mean Green product line and it looks good. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and if they are worth it. Thanks.

http://shop.mean-green.com/2008-05-TACOMA-40L-MG11139.htm

Oh, and hello all, Ive been here a while, lurking, and learning. This is truly a great wealth of experience and knowledge. I will be building up my truck slowly, Ill make sure to get a post up with some standard pics for a proper intro.

They are nice alternators but my first questions is the Nippon-Denso that comes with your truck should easily be up to the task. How do you know it's given up the ghost and it isn't another electrical gremlin?

Welcome. Interesting choice of a forum name by the way.

Balzer

Adventurer
Almost any alt can be internally upgraded cheaper than what mean greens sell for. I am lucky enough to have a local alt/starter shop. My stock GM alt is putting out around 180amps thanks to them. I went in and asked for one that I could weld with if nessisary.

FetusEater

Thanks for the replies. I keep having a belt squeak and not long ago had both idler pulley sub assembly and pulleys replaced. So, when it was squeaking I took it in to have Toyota look at it and, thats what they told me, the Alt was going ka-put. So, I looked around and saw the Mean Greens. My truck doesnt even have 70k on her yet, so I am a little confused at the alt going out so soon. But I figured I would replace it once, the right way. But, any suggestions on upgrades or doing anything myself to save money and still get good working parts Im all ears. They told me it was the alt bearings going out. They also told me the belt looks great, theres no wobble when its running. So again, thank you for the replies and suggestions.

(I ended up with this name during a deployment to Afghanistan, to sum it up nicely)

McFly2003

Adventurer
my mean green just came in the mail a few days ago. I plan to install it in the next couple of days. i'll let ya know what I think! oh, and welcome!

Flip_4_It

Jeff Brown
I would like to hear how it works for you. I have been considering upgrading my stock nissan alt to the mean green as my auxillary loads keep increasing.

McFly2003

Adventurer
So I went to install my MG alt today and realized that Man-A Fre sent me the wrong unit (easy mistake, the part numbers were almost exactly the same). I contacted Mean Green directly to figure out what to do. The customer service was incredible. Such friendly people and so eager to make things right. They told me to just send it back to them directly to have it exchanged as that would be much quicker. Assuming that this gets ironed out, I am definitely glad I went with MG after today.
Very few companies these days (at least that I have dealt with) have shown me this level of service. Sierra Expeditions comes to mind as well, Will is always willing to help.
If you can afford to go with a Mean Green product, DO IT

FetusEater

So my Mean Green came in, going to change it this week, there shouldnt be anything else that needs changing with it right? I already am running a Optima Red top, and the truck does have the tow package.

Expedition Leader
So my Mean Green came in, going to change it this week, there shouldnt be anything else that needs changing with it right? I already am running a Optima Red top, and the truck does have the tow package.

You might want to look at the size of the wire running from the stock alternator into the harness; your '06 Taco may be just fine as is but on my 30-year-old Land Cruiser I added a heavy-gauge cable from the Mean Green to the battery + terminal and another from the Mean Green to a frame/engine ground, to take the extra current when winching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles