PDA

View Full Version : Jeff's Cargo Conversion

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 05:11 AM
84992Ok, so here she is day one. A used Haulmark 5" X 10" Vee nose.Exactly what I was looking for.Big plans for this one, so off we go.Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 05:17 AM

So first thing I did was install two sliding windows and removed the cargo lock from the side door and installed and RV door latch.
Also added the exterior side light.
Already getting excited with tons of ideas.
Jeff

loren85022
02-06-2012, 05:25 AM
What's the end trailer going to look like?

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 05:29 AM
So then I cut off the original trailer hitch and installed a 2 1/2" seamless square tube to an added crossmember below the trailer. I removed the original trailer jack and install a swing up jack.
I could not find a tank holder that I like for the plastic propane tanks, so I made a base plate and rack out of aluminum.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 05:36 AM
So next to go was the pathetic suspension and axel.
I installed a 3500lb axel with electric brakes from Red neck.
I ordered the axel to allow the use of hub centric spacers. The axel was the correct bolt pattern, but the wheels I am using are hub centric to match mt Tacoma.
Install all new hangers and shackels and Monroe trailer shocks. I will change these later.
The leaf springs are from my Tacoma.

Jeff

Greenmonkey
02-06-2012, 05:40 AM
What kind of latch is that on your tank mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 05:42 AM
I added some of Sierra 4X4 Trailer's 10 steel fenders and built "wings" for the sides.
They are platforms that I made from 1/8" steel tread plate, 1 1/2" .120 wall tubing and angle steel.
They are to stand on, sit, store stuff and most of all, keep rocks and trees from knocking off my fenders.
Wheels and tires are the same as on my Tacoma.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 05:44 AM
What kind of latch is that on your tank mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try this: http://www.mcmaster.com/#latching-clamps/=g4j4x4

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 05:53 AM
So this is the start of the kitchen in the rear. There will be a wall dividing this area from the interior of the trailer.
When done, the trailer will have a complete solar charging system, forced air furnace, water heater, exterior shower, fold and tumble bed from my FWC and a entertainment center at the front. Shooting for around 35 gallons of water storage.
Just finished a new rear door for it. Wait for the pictures or it won't make sense.
More to follow. Shooting for So Cal Desert Rendezvous completion.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 06:00 AM
What's the end trailer going to look like?

As you can see above is the start of the rear kitchen. ARB on my pull out, sink with hot and cold water.
I made a custom bi-fold rear door. On one leaf has a fold out shelf that the stove sets on. I"ll do pictures tomorrow.
There will be a dividing wall with upper cabinets for storage.
Jeff

Mark Harley
02-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Cool build, what are you going to fill the space above the fender with?

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 01:15 PM
There is no space. It is an optical illusion created by the old body undercoating.
You are seeing the difference between the old and new fender.
The last thing I am going to do is a vinyl wrap with some sort of picture.
Looking for the perfect graphic now.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Here is a pic of the completed suspension change. I moved the axel toward the rear 1".
The original axel installation was about 3/4" out of square.
The black you see is under coating from the original fender location.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 01:44 PM

This is the old axel and springs.
Dumped the drop axel for a straight 3500 lb and Tacoma springs.
All of the spring hangers and brackets came from Ruff Stuff Specialties.

Jeff

ersatzknarf
02-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi Jeff,
What's the interior height like, please ?
Is it "full standing" ?

Mark Harley
02-06-2012, 05:12 PM
The original axle installation was about 3/4" out of square.

Did the trailer sway with this much difference?

elmo_4_vt
02-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Nice work Jeff... Seems to be a few different builds recently off of cargo trailers. I like it!

How did you attach the "wings" to the chassis? Can you give a closeup? I'm going to do something like that for mine too.

How much wider is the trailer track width than your truck?

Thanks... Don

skersfan
02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Very nice work, great ideas.

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi Jeff,
What's the interior height like, please ?
Is it "full standing" ?

Interior height is 5'10". I can't stand straight up @ 5'11 1/2".
Next winter I am going to add some sort of a pop up or extended roof.
Doesn't bother me now. Most time spent inside will be sitting or laying down.
Thats is one of the reasons for the kitchen being in the rear accessible from the outside.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Nice work Jeff... Seems to be a few different builds recently off of cargo trailers. I like it!

How did you attach the "wings" to the chassis? Can you give a closeup? I'm going to do something like that for mine too.

How much wider is the trailer track width than your truck?

Thanks... Don

Almost dead on. But I planned it that way.
Outside to outside on the truck is 74" and the trailer is the same. Fenders and wings are 1" wider per side.
Wings are welded to 1/8" 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" angle steel, drilled and tapped from the bottom with 5/16" bolts and through bolted horizontally with 1/2" bolts.
I can jack the trailer by them or stand on them.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 10:20 PM

Ok, you are going to have to stay with me on this one because it might get confusing.
The trailer came with one large rear door, swinging right hand reverse. I wanted to mount a folding shelf on the door with a hold open @ 180 degrees to put the stove on. When I first mounted the shelf on the original door, it flopped about and there was no way to cook on it. So I tore the door open and it has been slapped together with 3/4" pine.

So, picture #1 is of the new door in a closed position, steel framed, insulated with new paneling. That is a full length hinge you see running down the center line of the doors.
Picture #2 is of the first leaf opened. The second leaf is still latched by a top and bottom manual flush bolt.
Picture #3 is of the second leaf open 180 degrees. You can just make out the flush bolts at the bottom and top of the door.
Picture #4 is of the first leaf folded at a 30 degree angle along side the passenger side of the trailer. I am making a latch to secure this door to the wing/step you see at the bottom of the pic, there by locking the door leaf with the stove on it in it's 180 degree position. Blue tape is where the exterior shower connection will be.
Did that make sense to anybody?
Sorry everything is such a mess, I am moving too fast to keep cleaning up and the ideas are flowing.
The FWC is sitting on its dolly giving me dirty looks.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-06-2012, 10:24 PM
The original axle installation was about 3/4" out of square.

Did the trailer sway with this much difference?

I only pulled it home without any weight in it. The springs were so rigid, nothing moved.
It maybe tracked to the side a little.
Jeff

ersatzknarf
02-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Interior height is 5'10". I can't stand straight up @ 5'11 1/2".
Next winter I am going to add some sort of a pop up or extended roof.
Doesn't bother me now. Most time spent inside will be sitting or laying down.
Thats is one of the reasons for the kitchen being in the rear accessible from the outside.
Jeff

Thanks. That helps put it all in perspective. Just curious. I like the extended roof idea...

<snip>

Did that make sense to anybody?
Sorry everything is such a mess, I am moving too fast to keep cleaning up and the ideas are flowing.

Gotcha. It's a great idea !

This is great stuff. Keep the ideas flowing ! ! !

The FWC is sitting on its dolly giving me dirty looks.

LOL ! :xxrotflma

Balzer
02-07-2012, 07:21 AM
So if I follow you right the first part of the door swings out, then the second part swings out for the stove, and the first part then creates a sort of shower stall, behind the stove wall/door?

At any rate Im diggin this build!

Jeff Wanamog
02-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Actually the first leaf folds back 30 degrees and is pinned to the wing/step to stabilize the second leaf. I will take pictures of the pin and it's location and it will make more sense.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-07-2012, 09:27 PM
85289So maybe this will bring it all together.
This is the pin that fits into a tube I welded into the wing/step.
Looking from the other side of the door.

Jeff

StumpXJ
02-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Nice work Jeff!

Jeff Wanamog
02-09-2012, 03:31 AM
Ah hot water!
This is the one thing I am really looking forward to. I don't have hot water in the FWC.
If you haven't seen these before, they come from Europe and are imported and sold by Adventure trailers.
I haven't figured out how to take it apart yet, but I will. I want to put a longer hose on it.

I also installed the Fantastic Fan and wired it up.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-19-2012, 12:30 AM
When I changed the suspension and axel out, the increase in height meant that the stabilizers that came on the trailer were too short and useless.
So I fitted perforated channels through the side steps, welded to the steps and fitted and bolted side plates through the body into the frame.
Very happy with the way they turned out. Very stabil!

Jeff

Balzer
02-19-2012, 05:11 AM
Very nice Idea on the stabilizers! I like this build.

Mark Harley
02-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Great idea with the rear stabilizer jacks!
I work at a sign shop and the perforated tube is everwhere,
I am going to steal that ideafor my M101A2.

cnynrat
02-19-2012, 04:34 PM
It's coming along nicely Jeff, can't wait to see the end result.

Are you planning to ditch your FWC, or keep both and use one or the other based on the type of trip?

Billy000_1
02-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Can you tell me what parts you utilized to swap out the trailer lock to a conventional lock on the side door?
I am in the process of converting a trailer myself...just started yesterday and found your site. I am particularly interested in the interior look. Any way you could show closer pics?
Thanks,
Tyler

Jeff Wanamog
02-21-2012, 12:37 AM
It's coming along nicely Jeff, can't wait to see the end result.

Are you planning to ditch your FWC, or keep both and use one or the other based on the type of trip?

So far it is looking like they will suit different needs at different times. The trailer will be for a base camp style of camping and then use the truck for excursions.
And well, you know what I use the FWC for! I think Vic will like the trailer more than the FWC.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-21-2012, 12:51 AM
Can you tell me what parts you utilized to swap out the trailer lock to a conventional lock on the side door?
I am in the process of converting a trailer myself...just started yesterday and found your site. I am particularly interested in the interior look. Any way you could show closer pics?
Thanks,
Tyler

The RV door lock came from here: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/trimark-lock-rv.htm
One word of caution is that they don't come with any instructions. Just take your time and make templates and measure three times.
87417 This picture is of the outside. The plate behind the handle is to accomodate for the lack of door thickness. It would have worked, but it would have shifted the strike bolt too far from the door's exterior stop/trim.
87418 This picture is of the interior handle.
87419 This picture is of the edge mortise with the cover plate removed.

Make sure the lock is for the thickness of your door.

Jeff

Titanpat57
02-21-2012, 02:21 AM
Great job so far...really enjoying the progress!

Those type door locks are a real pain...you did a clean job.

Pat

berg
02-21-2012, 02:42 AM
subscribed... great project

java
02-23-2012, 03:01 AM
The perforated tube is awesome. Any idea where to get it? My local metal shorts place doesn't have it.

Jeff Wanamog
02-23-2012, 03:47 AM
http://www.pattonscorp.com/catalog/

You may have to call them. It's called 2" and 2 1/4" 12 GA. Perf Galv tube.
You may want to Google it. There may be better suppliers.
Make sure you remove all of the galvanization before you weld on it.
Jeff

Or try this: http://www.allmetalsinc.com/steelperforatedsquaretube.html

java
02-23-2012, 04:18 AM
Thanks!

ZR2nit
02-23-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm liking where you are heading. Great job. It never ceases to amaze me of what people do on this site for trailers. Subscribed

Billy000_1
02-23-2012, 01:37 PM
GREAT!
Thanks so much!

highlandercj-7
02-25-2012, 02:31 AM
Nice work. I like the kitchen too. The diamond tread in the door is sweet.

skersfan
02-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Great JOB Jeff. Looks good and functional.

Jeff Wanamog
02-26-2012, 01:35 AM

Maiden voyage today. Took the trailer for a spin in the mountains today. Just asphalt, no dirt.
Tows fantastic. Brakes are ok, I will adjust the brakes tomorrow. I like very good brakes.
The springs are a little too soft. I think I will first try adding an ad-a-leaf, over load spring and standing the shocks more toward vertical.

This is why I chose the size trailer I did. Nice and tucked behind the truck.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-27-2012, 11:00 AM
When I purchased my trailer used, there were a ton of vinyl stickers all over the trailer.That is what the guy did, he was a mobil sticker and T shirt service.The removal of all the stickers did not go well and damaged the white paint coating.So I am thinking of doing a vinyl wrap.This is a photo shop of my first idea. I am open to any others.Please give me you .02Thanks.Jeff

loren85022
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
I like it. Desert camo looks good too. I always thought it would look cool to blow up a few topo maps from my fav spots for a skin.

orangeTJ
02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
OH NO....I shouldn't have read this thread. Lol. I have a 5x8 version of this trailer, no side door though.

I could easily add some do-dads to make it a camping rig.

Looks like you converted to led tail lights. I did the same on mine. I converted all my lights to clear lens style.

High Country Hillbilly
02-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Jeff,

I think the "urban camo" looks great! Matches the silver truck nicely too. Really liking the build...keep the updates coming!

Hillbilly

ZR2nit
03-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Any updates????

Jeff Wanamog
03-07-2012, 03:28 AM
Well......The back wall is in. I am building the rear Kitchen upper cabinets.
Kitchen should be done next week then it's off to the interior.
Added a RV style 8' X 8' awning. I love it.
Trailer is inside my shop so pics don't always come out well.

Jeff

Mark Harley
03-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Trailer is inside my shop so pics don't always come out well.

Jeff: Bad pictures are better than no pictures, We want to see the build!

skersfan
03-07-2012, 09:44 PM
I have a guy out in Beaumont that can do the wrap, very good and only uses top of the line stuff. He does a lof of stuff for SEMA and some of the off road stuff for King of the Hammers, PM me and I will get you a better price for the wrap.

The trailer is coming along great man.

Billy000_1
03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Where did you get the 8x8 awning?
I am hunting the same size,
Thanks,
Tyler

toygoose
03-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Where did you get the perforated tube for the jacks?

Jeff Wanamog
03-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Where did you get the perforated tube for the jacks?

See post #39.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
03-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Where did you get the 8x8 awning?
I am hunting the same size,
Thanks,
Tyler

http://rvawningsonline.com/
I really like it compared to my Camping Labs on my FWC.
I just need to build a deflector to keep trail branches from damaging it.
Jeff

ZR2nit
03-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Keep us updated when you can. Great job

skersfan
03-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Okay you are way to nice, gotta ask, Bamer or Aubie!!!!

Jeff looken good, when are you taking that bad boy out to play?

Jeff Wanamog
03-12-2012, 04:51 AM
Ok, the kitchen is getting close to being done. Not real happy about the way it is turning out.

Jeff.

java
03-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Why aren't you happy? Looks pretty good!

loren85022
03-12-2012, 05:24 AM
I like the layout. The alum-cabinets might not be my first choice. You might like having access to sink (albeit from behind the faucet) and maybe the coffee maker from inside. I think i recall you did have frig access from inside.

Mark Harley
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Jeff: The kitchen looks great! I do like the diamond plate, What are your ideas for wrap?

Jeff Wanamog
03-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Why aren't you happy? Looks pretty good!

Being a commercial general contractor, I am used to things being a little more exact and almost perfect.
These trailers are assembled in haste and not very square and true.
The fit is just not what I thought it would be. But I am not a millworker either.
Weight was more of a consideration.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
03-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I like the layout. The alum-cabinets might not be my first choice. You might like having access to sink (albeit from behind the faucet) and maybe the coffee maker from inside. I think i recall you did have frig access from inside.

What did you use when you built your cabinets? FYI, just the panels of the doors are diamond plate. And I can change them anytime if I find something else I like.
I don't know how it is going to look because the latches I use are more of a brass color.
There is no acces from the sleeping area to the kitchen area.
In my FWC, I do like making coffee before going outside. But all of our cooking we do outside. We spend little time inside.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
03-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Jeff: The kitchen looks great! I do like the diamond plate, What are your ideas for wrap?

Thank you for your compliment(s).
Next I will do the back splash. Should add to the looks. Lights and switches later this week and then on the the plumbing.
As far as the wrap goes, I am thinking either a black, grey, silver and white camo or a silver wrap to match the truck.

Thanks.
Jeff

elmo_4_vt
03-12-2012, 06:44 PM
My wife said the same thing to me about wanting to make coffee or hot chocolate before we go out for the morning or before we go to sleep at night after I told her that the kitchen was only accessible from outside... My solution was a "jet-boil". Look them up. Pretty cheap and they work great. Basically a back-packing stove setup that's made for liquids. She's actually been making her hot-chocolate at the house with it because she said it tastes better than in the microwave or stove-top.

Don

-

Jeff Wanamog
03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the great idea. I am a little cautious about an open flame inside the trailer and the possible carbon monoxide they produce.
Actually, and I hate to admit it, there will be a 1000 watt inverter with an outlet inside, so if it becomes a big deal, we can bring a (gasp!) electric coffee maker.

Jeff:coffee:

skersfan
03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Thats is it , you are no longer hard core. Such a let down!!!!

Looks great Jeff, and having the lovely other half with you, requires creature comforts, or at least makes having the other half comfortable, makes you less of a creature to her. Either way a happy mama, make camping much better.

Jeff Wanamog
03-12-2012, 08:22 PM
So true my friend! When the Queens happy, the Kingdom is happy!
We took the FWC up to Funnel Lake in the Sierras last year with some friends and she was hooked.
The FWC Eagle is just a little too small for her liking and I don't have any hot water.

Jeff

elmo_4_vt
03-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Maybe I missed it, but what are you using for hot water in yours? I still haven't gotten through a plan for that part of mine.

Don

-

Jeff Wanamog
03-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Maybe I missed it, but what are you using for hot water in yours? I still haven't gotten through a plan for that part of mine.

Don

-

I am using a Atwood 6 gallon.

Jeff

skersfan
03-14-2012, 04:52 AM
When do we get to see this puppy in the dirt? Got to be getting close. Looking good Jeff.

I see heart attack survivor, is that a trail or the real deal. Had the real deal May 24th 2008, and then a similar deal, but not a heart attack, who knows what it was, but it hurt like hell, worse than the real one. Cleaned all the plaque out and have been fine since. Keep the cholestrol under control guys. It is a killer and with some of us it is hereditary. Have it checked and pay attention to the Doc. I had done bicycle rides the morning of both of mine, both over 40 miles. Fitness has no power over cholestrol, trust me I know.

Jeff Wanamog
03-14-2012, 05:32 AM
Good question.
I still have a lot to do.
Starting on the water system. Was just measuring for the water tank.
I am coming up with 26 gallons. Wanted 30.
Made a couple of changes to the kitchen.
Have to figure out how to run the water heater and FAU on 11" WC and then a Partner Stove on 20 psi propane.

Jeff

ZR2nit
03-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Okay you are way to nice, gotta ask, Bamer or Aubie!!!!

Jeff looken good, when are you taking that bad boy out to play?

If that question was to me then...Bama. Not to nice there is just a lot of talented folks on here. All I have is a stripped down M416 now used to haul bikes and four wheeler because the Mrs. hated it as a RTT trailer

ZR2nit
03-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Jeff looking good man. Your project since its start have cursed me at looking at small enclosed trailers now LOL. For what its worth I like the cabinets.

ZR2nit
03-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Ok, the kitchen is getting close to being done. Not real happy about the way it is turning out.

Jeff.

Where do all of you find these small sinks at???? BTW I'll take the whole back wall and everything else hanging from it if you hate it so much LOL

Jeff Wanamog
03-16-2012, 11:01 AM
When do we get to see this puppy in the dirt? Got to be getting close. Looking good Jeff.

I see heart attack survivor, is that a trail or the real deal. Had the real deal May 24th 2008, and then a similar deal, but not a heart attack, who knows what it was, but it hurt like hell, worse than the real one. Cleaned all the plaque out and have been fine since. Keep the cholestrol under control guys. It is a killer and with some of us it is hereditary. Have it checked and pay attention to the Doc. I had done bicycle rides the morning of both of mine, both over 40 miles. Fitness has no power over cholestrol, trust me I know.

Nope, it was the real deal.I had wrecked a car in the desert the year before so I thought the pain in my back was a damaged disc. After I passed out from the pain a couple of times, my wife took me to emergency. LADA was 99% clogged. Stint goes in. I was a cyclist most of my life and they think that is what saved my life. My heart attack was from stress, bad eating habits and lack of exercise. I Never smoked. I was the King of red meat. Been vegan now for around six months. Big change, but I feel great. Even thinking about buying a mountain bike again.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
03-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Where do all of you find these small sinks at???? BTW I'll take the whole back wall and everything else hanging from it if you hate it so much LOL

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=bar+sink&ix=teb&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=679&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16114138951049881072&sa=X&ei=MhBjT4-XD-rYiALo7pSkDw&ved=0CJgBEPMCMAA

They are called bar sinks. They have the small strainer so you can hook up a RV drain.
Jeff

skersfan
03-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Great to hear all is well. Same deal, cyclist, actually heart has healed. That does not happen very often. The read meat and cholesterol are killers no question, and none of us believe it until it is too late. Are you headed down to the OAUSA event in Redondo tomarrrow? Would love to see that bad boy upclose. Sure there is room.

Overland Hadley
04-21-2012, 09:42 PM
I just found this thread! I guess thats what I get for not spending more time in the trailer section.

Looks good Jeff. Keep us posted.

Jeff Wanamog
04-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Thank you for the compliment. Haven't been doing very much work on the trailer recently. Doing the hospital thing again. Tired of being sick.
I should receive my stainless steel water tank for below the trailer on Wednesday and then everything should start falling into place.
I think I am going to have a separate propane tank in the back for the stove. I never figured out how to run three separate devices that use propane when one of them requires a much higher pressure that the other two.
I want to take it out and play!

Kitchen is done except for the finish on the wood.

Jeff

Mark Harley
04-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Jeff The trailer is too cool!
Keep up the good work!

loren85022
04-24-2012, 05:45 AM
I'm hiding that last pick front my wife. You shaming all us. Do you know the name of the wood you used for inside of rear doors?

Sent from my iToaster

Jeff Wanamog
04-24-2012, 11:33 AM
It is beaded plank paneling from Lowes. I like it because you don't see it very often and it is pre-finished.
It is through out the interior.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
04-28-2012, 12:36 AM
This is a gift from my stainless steel fabricator.
Almost too nice to stick under the trailer.
26 gallons. Guess what I am doing this weekend!

Life is good!

Jeff

4BT
04-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Interested in the axle swap... Is the 3k axle with brakes an easy part to find?

Jeff Wanamog
04-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Interested in the axle swap... Is the 3k axle with brakes an easy part to find?

So easy you won't believe it.
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
04-29-2012, 02:53 AM
Almost too nice to stick up under the trailer.
I left room above the tank for a layer of insulation.
This is the support rail at the front side
This is the back side
Fitting location inside.
This is a shot from the front. Tank hangs down 2 1/2"

Not as young as I used to be. Getting up and down and under the trailer kicked my but.
Looks like some soaking in the hot tub is in order.
Jeff

elmo_4_vt
04-29-2012, 12:39 PM
It is beaded plank paneling from Lowes. I like it because you don't see it very often and it is pre-finished.
Jeff

Just to add some additional info... It's labeled as Baltic Birch bead board and is in the hardwood area usually... I've used a fair amount of it on my build too.

The water tank and Trailer look great by the way... I like that you did the kitchen first, I've been working on the living area first. We're going camping next weekend will be interesting with no place to store the food and cooking stuff.

What made you go with a metal water tank instead of plastic?

Don

-

Overland Hadley
04-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Jeff

Interesting, here in the north woods there are very few houses that do not have bead board somewhere. I have also put it in a luxury trawler cruising boat I worked on. I guess it just depends on what part of the country you are in.

I wonder if the interior of my camper will look common to people from the west coast?

Jeff Wanamog
04-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Just to add some additional info... It's labeled as Baltic Birch bead board and is in the hardwood area usually... I've used a fair amount of it on my build too.

The water tank and Trailer look great by the way... I like that you did the kitchen first, I've been working on the living area first. We're going camping next weekend will be interesting with no place to store the food and cooking stuff.

What made you go with a metal water tank instead of plastic?

Don

-

The reason I went with a stainless steel tank is I was able to get exactly what I wanted as far as size, it has internal baffles and it was free.

Jeff

elmo_4_vt
04-30-2012, 02:50 AM
... and it was free.

Jeff

All good reasons... Especially that last one... Any more laying around? :sombrero:

Don

-

SWbySWesty
05-10-2012, 11:21 PM
This thread is full of awesome. I'll bet I could cut up my van to accommodate your FWC ;) just kidding!

Jeff Wanamog
05-17-2012, 08:45 PM
This is a picture of the utility room, I mean, under the bench seat.
Left side is the heater.
Right side is the 6 gallon water heater, water pump and miscellaneous hoses and wiring. Large and small hose coming through the floor are to the 27 gallon water tank under the floor. 27 plus 6 equals 33 gallons of water. Not bad. I was shooting for 30 gallons.
And the middle will be storage space with doors on the front.
It's getting close!

Jeff

Overland Hadley
05-18-2012, 12:52 AM
:lurk:

fire931
05-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Nice build!!! Just an idea on the gas hookups. We've got a pop up camper that has a high pressure outdoor stove, then the indoor stove, furnace and hot water heater are all much lower pressure. What they do is have the hook up at the tank, then a high pressure regulator, that branches off and runs to the high pressure appliance. Next there's a low pressure regulator and then that line runs to all the remaining stuff. Maybe you can work out something like that for your build. Would be much simpler over the long haul to just have to deal with one tank.

Jeff Wanamog
05-18-2012, 02:53 AM
So are you saying that the low pressure regulator is downstream the high pressure regulator?
If so, I thought of that, but I did not have a safe and legal location for the second regulator.

Jeff

fire931
05-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Correct. I'll go out and snap a picture of how ours is setup in a few. It's really pretty basic though. Everything is located out on the tongue by the tank.

fire931
05-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Here's a quick pic. I forgot it's setup right now so kinda hard to get in there to take a decent one. Anyways, you can see the rubber flex line that comes directly from the tank. It goes into the high pressure regulator, then the output of that has a brass "T" fitting screwed directly into that. The t side feeds the high pressure outside stove and the other side goes directly into the low pressure regulator. That regulator is mounted to a bracket off the frame of the trailer and it's output feeds the rest of the appliances.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd108/fire931/IMG_20120518_110349.jpg

Jeff Wanamog
05-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Everything I read about the regulators was that you were supposed to install them in a horizontal direction.
Both of yours are vertical. Had I known. Thanks for the idea and pics. I am going to tee on the high pressure and then to each regulator, one on either side of the tank.

I owe you one.
thanks.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
05-21-2012, 04:54 AM
These are the brackets from my FWC's fold and tumble bench seat/couch.
This is the back folded half way over for those who have never seen how they work.
This is the back folded all the way over. There will also be an additional cabinet on the left so the entire area will be bed.
Right side folded all the way over. Bed will be 75" in length by 58" in width.

Jeff

SWbySWesty
05-21-2012, 05:26 AM
58" in width? This bench idea would be perfect for my van because that'll fit two and still allow a Moto in rear. Thanks for the idea!

Overland Hadley
05-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Everything I read about the regulators was that you were supposed to install them in a horizontal direction.

There are vertical (wall mount) regulators and there are horizontal (tank mount) regulators.

Jeff Wanamog
05-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Ok, so a dual 11" WC is no problem.
Now all I have to find is a 20psi for Partner Steel stove.
Jeff

Bigbendhiker
05-21-2012, 07:23 PM
First, you have a really great looking, well thought out trailer conversion. :bowdown:

Second, do you know where the brackets for the "fold and tumble bench seat" can be purchased?

Thanks, Scott

sapper
05-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Great work.

Jeff Wanamog
05-21-2012, 11:30 PM
First, you have a really great looking, well thought out trailer conversion. :bowdown:

Second, do you know where the brackets for the "fold and tumble bench seat" can be purchased?

Thanks, Scott

Thank you for the compliment.
I am sure Four Wheel Camper would sell you the brackets, or try here: http://www.blazinbelltech.com/furniture.html#couch

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
05-24-2012, 11:54 PM

Oh yes, 250 watts of pure power. That will keep the lights on for a little while!

Jeff

SWbySWesty
05-25-2012, 12:04 AM
What kind of battery bank are you going to do with that kind of power availability???

Jeff Wanamog
05-25-2012, 12:10 AM
One 200 amp hour AGM.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
06-09-2012, 11:31 PM
So the DC portion of the electrical system is complete. All systems have been tested.

Getting closer. Trying to find interior finishes I like.
This area wil be covered by a cabinet and will be accessed by a door.

Jeff

LACamper
06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Nice!

lilgription
06-21-2012, 04:03 AM
Jeff I must say I love what your doing here. But I may be stupid or I may have missed something through the thread. So here goes my? If your trailer box is 5' wide and the wings looking to be a foot wide or so. For a total of about 7' . And it looks to be the same width as your truck which you stated was about 74". There's a 1' difference there. Lol so is the box a 4' wide model . Maybe I'm just missing something on small cargo trailers when they say 5x10 model are they actually meaning they are 5' tall and 10' long???

suntinez
06-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Just tuning in - looks great Jeff!

Jeff Wanamog
06-21-2012, 04:29 AM
I think the trailer was sitting a little skewed when the photo was taken. The fenders stick out about 5" a side wider than the truck.
My statement was meant to show that the body of the trailer is inside the slip stream of the truck.
The 5" a side works because I can see the trailer in the side view mirror.
Next trailer I build will be 6' inside clear and the wheels will be set in wheel wells recessed into the side. Being able to sleep across ways is huge to the interior layout.
I can't wait to drag my trailer against some rocks or shrubs to see if they make a difference.

Getting close. Inverter shows up on Friday.

Jeff

Willy G
06-21-2012, 04:38 AM
Great build up, really nice work on the kitchen, Keep up the awesome posts

lilgription
06-21-2012, 05:47 AM
I think the trailer was sitting a little skewed when the photo was taken. The fenders stick out about 5" a side wider than the truck.
My statement was meant to show that the body of the trailer is inside the slip stream of the truck.
The 5" a side works because I can see the trailer in the side view mirror.
Next trailer I build will be 6' inside clear and the wheels will be set in wheel wells recessed into the side. Being able to sleep across ways is huge to the interior layout.
I can't wait to drag my trailer against some rocks or shrubs to see if they make a difference.

Getting close. Inverter shows up on Friday.

Jeff
Well my brain was going Into Jethro Bodines siphering there for a minute trying to figure that one out.LOL

Captm
06-23-2012, 03:04 AM
I know you've been to many great places with the FWC and with that in mind what type of trails and destinations do you anticipate being able to do with the trailer? It would be fun to see photos of your trailer in the same location as the Eagle at Funnel Lake.
Cheers!

jim65wagon
08-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Jeff, sorry I'm late to the party, but I have been a little busy. The Cargo Trailer is looking good! I like the running boards and stabilizers and I think the kitchen turned out very nice. Good work!

How are the Tacoma springs working out (if you've been able to try them out)?

Oh, and I like the Camo wrap (photoshop), too!

Jeff Wanamog
08-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Thank you very much. I am getting ready to shoot the completion pictures. I am waiting for a wide angle lens to show up.
The Tacoma springs were perfect until I added the 33 gallons (274 Lbs) of water. I am a air bag nut, so I added a set of Firestone air bags and they are working perfect. I love the smooth ride and I can change the ride height when needed. It also helps leveling and lowering the trailer when I get into camp.
The cushions for the bed/couch come in this morning. TV is mounted and I made a rack to lock down the articulating mount while in transit.

More to come.

Thanks.
Jeff

JeepinMt
08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Very nice! Looking forward to completion pics!

Jeff Wanamog
08-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Thank you.
Here is a teaser cell phone pic.

Jeff

SWbySWesty
08-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Thank you.
Here is a teaser cell phone pic.
JeffI call the left bunk!

InvisibleOne
08-04-2012, 04:03 AM
Wow. Great job. Really making me look at the Wells Cargo with perverted thoughts of molestation... The axle was always the limiting factor but you made swapping it out look rather easy. Nice work.

jim65wagon
08-04-2012, 08:41 AM
The Tacoma springs were perfect until I added the 33 gallons (274 Lbs) of water. I am a air bag nut, so I added a set of Firestone air bags and they are working perfect.

That of course leads to the next question: How much does it weigh loaded and ready for a trip?

kraqus
08-08-2012, 03:15 PM
You did a great job!
I am looking at Cargo trailers myself now.

Benny

Jeff Wanamog
08-14-2012, 09:37 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/_DSC0020.jpg
This is how the kitchen turned out. Still need to put the shelf in the upper cabinet.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/_DSC0021.jpg
Kitchen with my favorite ARB fridge open.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
08-14-2012, 09:38 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/_DSC0008-1.jpg
In my opinion, the most important part of the trailer. If you want the wife to go camping with you, this is a must.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
08-14-2012, 09:42 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/_DSC0009-1.jpg
This a 32" LCD LED TV. I put it on a articulating mount so we can sit outside and still see the TV.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/_DSC0007-1.jpg
This is the mount I made to lock down the TV in transit. You can see the two latches that lock the TV to the front wall.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
08-14-2012, 09:47 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/_DSC0024.jpg
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/_DSC0025.jpg
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/_DSC0026.jpg
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/_DSC0027.jpg

And there she is in all of her glory. A full Queen size bed of 4" 2.8 density foam. There is going to be some serious goins on here. I mean sleeping, get you mind out of the gutter.....

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
08-14-2012, 09:49 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/_DSC0029.jpg
This is a shot of the little fold up bench that completes the bed.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
08-14-2012, 09:58 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/_DSC0032.jpg

Ceiling shot. Still have to install the trim rings around the lights and do the corner moldings.
But she is ready to roll. And just in time. The Gentleman from Colorado arrives Wednesday AM to pick up my FWC. Very sad to see it go. Had a lot of great times. But I think the trailer will be just as much fun if not more. Best part is my wife is excited to use it too, which is why I built it in the first place.
As far as weight goes, I will weigh it when all of our stuff and food is loaded. Right now it is looking like it will come in around 2100 Lbs. We will see.
Doesn't matter because it wound up being a little heavy percentage wise on the tongue which will help when I use the Tacoma to tow with.
I wish the weather was better in So Cal, I would like to go up to Big Bear this weekend.

Jeff

kraqus
08-14-2012, 10:29 PM
That is Bad azz!

Benny

Aspen Trails Trailers
08-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Looking great Jeff. Hope the bed turns out to be favorable to you. I did that once before and I kept falling in the cracks.

Big Bear and Idyllwild have been cool during the days with all the thunderstorms, it really was nice at Idyllwild yesterday after the rains. I live just down the road, and it was about 75 yesterday afternoon, but a little muggy.

Bob

Overland Hadley
08-15-2012, 02:48 AM
Beautiful work Jeff!

Maybe I missed it, but how did you insulate the trailer?

Jeff Wanamog
08-15-2012, 02:55 AM
R-9 foil backed rigid panels. We use it to insulate the back of spandrel glass in high rise buildings.
Then I did a reflective coating to the roof.
Jeff

cowboy4x4
08-15-2012, 05:37 AM
Very nice Jeff

jim65wagon
08-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Awesome Jeff! That hinge for the bed is cool, where did you find that?
I thought we were getting wild thinking about an 18" TV, 32 would just be awesome.....too bad it won't fit in the tear. The interior turned out very nice as well as the kitchen. Love the wood with diamond plate look!

Hope you and your wife get lots of enjoyment with your goins on wherever you travel!

Mark Harley
08-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Just Cool!

Jnich77
08-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Very nice!!!

Jeff Wanamog
08-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Awesome Jeff! That hinge for the bed is cool, where did you find that?
I thought we were getting wild thinking about an 18" TV, 32 would just be awesome.....too bad it won't fit in the tear. The interior turned out very nice as well as the kitchen. Love the wood with diamond plate look!

Hope you and your wife get lots of enjoyment with your goins on wherever you travel!

The bed hinges are available on the internet. My set came out of my FWC that I just sold. They were left over when I changed the camper to a dinette. I modified the hinges to suit my needs. The cushions are over width so you squish the cushions in when it is all folded over. Already tried it out and I love it. Much better than 2" of foam in the camper.
Thank you very much for the compliments. I know that you know how much work I have into this build.
I am dying to take it out and use it.

Jeff

jim65wagon
08-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Thank you very much for the compliments. I know that you know how much work I have into this build.
I am dying to take it out and use it.

Yes, but all that work is worth it. First time you see someones jaw drop when you show them around "the house" puts a big grin on your face. Your skills show through and Beth likes how you've turned the CT into a cool camper. She digs the kitchen and says the backsplash and stove shelf rock!

Hope your first trip is soon and fun!

orangeTJ
08-18-2012, 10:43 PM
The bed hinges are available on the internet.

Many toy haulers use the same hinges for their dinette bench to bed conversions. "Roll over sofa" is another term used to describe them.

10' length really seems to be a good length for a build such as yours. I had the Wells Cargo Fastrack, which is the identical trailer, just with the WC name on it. I didn't like the leaf spring suspension... too bouncy when empty, partly because the trailer was very light unloaded.
I added brakes and converted all lights to LED. Funny thing, I only had the trailer about 5 months. It turned to be too small for my ever changing needs. I didn't like the single rear door. Double barn doors are more suitable.

Which lights did you use in the ceiling? Are they LED?

Jeff Wanamog
08-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Yes, the ceiling lights are 36 led lights from Superbrightleds.com TDL-W36 Truck Dome LightI installed them from the back so they have a difference appearance then in the picture

Jeff

Accrete
09-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Very nice build Jeff! I saw your thread over at tnttt & since Expo is sort of my _home_ forum thought i'd send my regards here.

Happy Trails,
Thom

matthewp
09-02-2012, 11:08 PM
http://www.blazinbelltech.com/furniture.html#couch

Jeff

Jim, here's the link for the "fold and tumble bench seat."

Jeff, I finally had the chance to catch up and see the finished trailer. This is awesome! Great job.

Jeff Wanamog
09-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Why thank you very much!
Some times Blazinbelltech does not sell just the hinges by themselves.
You can also contact Four Wheel Campers and pick up the hinges straight from them.

Jeff

Budster
09-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Nice Build Jeff! I see you took all the advice I have given you over the years and put it to good use! LOL.

It is going to be a pleasure to camp with you again. When are we going?

Your Rig came out Great!

crismateski
09-19-2012, 04:21 AM
You know, if you ever get bored with it and want to give it away, I am right up the street :ylsmoke:

Looks great, just out of curiosity, any idea how many hours you have invested in it?

Jeff Wanamog
09-19-2012, 04:54 AM
You know, if you ever get bored with it and want to give it away, I am right up the street :ylsmoke:

Looks great, just out of curiosity, any idea how many hours you have invested in it?

You know, a big part of what I do is figuring out how many man hours it will take to do something.
For that reason, I chose to not track the hours. Also, I designed as I went, so there was a substancial amount of back tracking.

Jeff

crismateski
09-19-2012, 04:57 AM
You know, a big part of what I do is figuring out how many man hours it will take to do something.
For that reason, I chose to not track the hours. Also, I designed as I went, so there was a substancial amount of back tracking.

Jeff

With a project like that it is sometimes better to not know how much time went into it. Either way, it came out great. And, yes, I did notice that you completely ignored my offer :)

Jeff Wanamog
10-13-2012, 08:56 PM
So after the maiden voyage, I have determined that the stabilizing struts I put on the back corners were too much work to get the trailer level.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/DSCN0018.jpg

So I pulled the V1 struts off and installed lifting jacks. Now we are talking.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/2012-10-13_10-51-44_4.jpg

First of a few changes to come.
Jeff

McZippie
10-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Like!!! Lost track of your build for a few months, great to catch up on all the progress.
You created a trailer to be proud of!

Overland Hadley
10-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Jeff

:lurk:

elmo_4_vt
10-14-2012, 03:18 AM
So after the maiden voyage, I have determined that the stabilizing struts I put on the back corners were too much work to get the trailer level.

Jeff

Nice! Same thing I ended up with on mine. It's really nice to get the level spot on for someone anal retentive like me. The first time I took mine out I was using a large set of jack stands and must have jacked the front up and down three times trying different positions of the jack stands to get things just right... Having the jacks are SO much nicer.

Don

-

jim65wagon
10-14-2012, 06:58 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/2012-10-13_10-51-44_4.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, those jacks are sweet! Can you tell me the brand, or where you got them? We're wanting to add some stabilizers to the teardrop and these look like they might do the trick.

Jeff Wanamog
10-15-2012, 12:08 AM
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Jack.aspx
Here you go!
Jeff

jim65wagon
10-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Coolio! It's my understanding that the drop leg adds an additional amount (roughly 10-14 inches) of lift height to the jack (above the 10-15 inches you get from the crank), correct?

Jeff Wanamog
10-15-2012, 06:29 AM
Coolio! It's my understanding that the drop leg adds an additional amount (roughly 10-14 inches) of lift height to the jack (above the 10-15 inches you get from the crank), correct?

Exactly. So you pull the pin to drop the center leg to ground, reinsert the pin and use the crank to finish the leveling.
Could it be more simple! Just what the doctor ordered.

Jeff

dustboy
10-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Wow...This is fantastic! I just picked up a used 6x12 Interstate tandem axle, it has to do dual duty as a work trailer, but I'm going to use a lot of your ideas.

You're doing beautiful work!

dustboy
10-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Where did you find the sliding windows? I've seen them here and there on the net but they are either too expensive or the wrong size.

MattL
10-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Dude, you're nuts. This is some classy work. Wow!

Jeff Wanamog
10-31-2012, 12:45 PM
I got the windows from Ebay. I think it was overstock. You can see all kinds of cheap windows of different sizes on Ebay. You just have to be patient for the right size to come up. I kind of wish I had spent a little more money and purchased a better and maybe a larger window.Legally, there should be one window that is operable so that you could crawl out of in case of a fire. Mine is not so legal. I am still looking for the right window for the door
Jeff

Where did you find the sliding windows? I've seen them here and there on the net but they are either too expensive or the wrong size.

uscg2008
02-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Dude prob one of the coolest trailer builds on here and one that My future will aspire to emulate. Well done good sir!! Any updates on this ?

Petrolburner
02-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Very nice execution and attention to detail.

Stouttrout
02-16-2013, 06:08 AM
VERY NICE!!!!!

Jeff Wanamog
02-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Thank you very much.
I finally found a window for the door. A very nice one at that. An 18" X 28" dual pane tinted.
So I pull the door to start the install and look what I found!
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/photo1.jpg

So I wound up rebuilding the door interior with 1X2 oak and filled it with rigid insulation.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-24-2013, 01:14 AM
And then the hardest part.....making the cut.
Measure twice, cut once.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/photo3.jpg

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-24-2013, 01:17 AM
This window was made for a high end RV so the wall thickness it was made for was 1/2" thicker than the door.
So I made a trim ring/spacer and painted it satin black to blend in with the door.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/photo6.jpg

Sorry, the picture turned out bad. Ipads need a lot of light.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
02-24-2013, 01:23 AM
And here it is. When I redo the door with a metal frame, I think I will raise the window height so the side and top clearance is the same.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/photo4.jpg
I am very happy with the way it turned out. Now I have to find someone to make me some curtains for all three windows.

Next on the agenda, I am adding a second battery and moving the two batteries to behind the rear axel to change the tongue weight.

Thanks.

Jeff

Overland Hadley
02-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Nice work Jeff!

I agree with raising the window, but when are you going to do it?

Jeff Wanamog
02-24-2013, 03:25 AM
I am in the process of moving my business, so I was not in the mood for doing metal fab work and wanted the window in for So Cal Desert Rendezvous.
When I pulled the door skin, the way the original builders did the door framing is with two lateral framing members that the two hinges tie into and then everything else comes off of these members.
With 3/4" pine, and the bottom of the door rotted, there was just not enough structure there to do the reframing just to raise the window.
In a couple months, I think I will try and find a much taller window and reengineer the interior of the door using the same 120 wall 3/4" X 1 1/2" tubing.
For right now is was just a KISS moment.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
03-14-2013, 10:25 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/Cargo Trailer Conversion/photo-2.jpg
Loaded up and ready for SCDR. Took a lot of work to get the Cruiser ready, but I think it will make it. I love the Landcruiser wheels.
Thanks to ddog45. He had the wheels, adaptors and drums. Life is good. Off to the desert.

Jeff

Overland Hadley
03-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Looks really good Jeff.

Lots more photos coming after SCDR? (hint hint)

elmo_4_vt
03-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Looks great... Though I agree on the pics from the gathering. Wish I could get time to get my heater and plumbing installed and working.

Don

-

BillyB
03-17-2013, 04:54 PM
... So I pull the door to start the install and look what I found!
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/photo1.jpg

So I wound up rebuilding the door interior with 1X2 oak and filled it with rigid insulation.

Jeff

I had the same issue. Pulled the rear doors apart to apply a new inner skin, and discovered this:

And here's the new 'solid core' rear doors with shelf brackets:

I still need to do the front door, but waiting on a good window deal to fall in my lap. Let me know when you're ready to upgrade, and I'll take that one off your hands!

SWbySWesty
03-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Shot Saturday morning!

Mark Harley
03-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Very nice build!

Jeff Wanamog
03-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks Mark.
I think what I am enjoying so much about the trailer is that it evolves every time she goes out. And now that I have switched to the Landcruiser as a tow vehicle, I need to make changes to accomodate.
I am starting to head towards taking some of the weight off of the tongue. I am going to extend the receiver 12" and relocate the battery to behind the axle. And then there is always the constant sorting out the storing of all of the stuff you bring and where and what to store it. Small changes to the storage on the interior. I might even change the diamond plate on the kitchen doors.
With this type of build, you can't just go check out someone's web page to see how they did it.

And life goes on.....

Jeff

johnnieev
03-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Hey Jeff-

Amazing build! Really gives a person great ideas.

In regards to the awning, would you consider putting a Foxwing on the trailer instead of the awning you did?

matthewp
03-18-2013, 02:30 PM
I still love this trailer with the exception of the crappy attention to detail in the cabinetry... Jeff, let me take it of your hands and fix it! I'll get it back to you quickly... I promise!:elkgrin:

Jeff Wanamog
03-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Hey Jeff-

Amazing build! Really gives a person great ideas.

In regards to the awning, would you consider putting a Foxwing on the trailer instead of the awning you did?

After this weekend being out in the desert at So Cal Desert Rendezvous, I would say NO WAY! My awning sets up in seconds, and I mean seconds. Does not need to be tied down, but you can if you want. We saw several awnings getting blown away and one was folded into a bundle. A lot of times where I camp, the ground won't hold a stake. I am though, making a mount that will swing an awning that will be mounted on the drivers side, so you can put it off the back over the kitchen. It is made in Australia but not imported to the USA. Could have used it this weekend.

Thanks.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
03-18-2013, 05:15 PM
I still love this trailer with the exception of the crappy attention to detail in the cabinetry... Jeff, let me take it of your hands and fix it! I'll get it back to you quickly... I promise!:elkgrin:

That's funny, because I had several people this weekend asking to purchase the trailer. But now that I think of it, none of them said anything about fixing anything.
You must just have a very keen eye.

Jeff

alia176
03-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Well done Jeff, kudos. Any thought given to a 6' awning over your galley area? You can have the legs go back to the back end of the trailer. And if the weather gets really knarly, one of those add-a-room velcroed to the awning will make for a nice place to cook.

crismateski
03-20-2013, 07:24 PM
That's funny, because I had several people this weekend asking to purchase the trailer. But now that I think of it, none of them said anything about fixing anything.
You must just have a very keen eye.

Jeff

I was one of the mentioned offers. I dont want Jeff to change a thing, it would already be out of my price range, if he makes it better there is no way I can buy it off him :coffeedrink:

Jeff Wanamog
03-20-2013, 07:37 PM
This is what I am going to copy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3uGdhkh4_k0

I am not going to sell the mounts and there are no distributors here in the USA. Also, I think I can make it a little better.

Well done Jeff, kudos. Any thought given to a 6' awning over your galley area? You can have the legs go back to the back end of the trailer. And if the weather gets really knarly, one of those add-a-room velcroed to the awning will make for a nice place to cook.

crismateski
03-20-2013, 07:41 PM
This is what I am going to copy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3uGdhkh4_k0

I am not going to sell the mounts and there are no distributors here in the USA. Also, I think I can make it a little better.

that looks pretty nice, let me know when you work on it, I will come give you a hand

elmo_4_vt
03-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Now THAT is an idea I'm going to copy. Though for my truck with a small Fiamma. Thanks for posting that. Keep up the good work.

Don

-

SWbySWesty
05-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Come now...haven't you been USING this??

98roamer
05-17-2013, 05:25 PM

That's a great idea, I bet the there are some heavy duty swivel TV mounts that could fit the bill with some modifications. Peerless or Chief.

Jeff Wanamog
05-25-2013, 04:40 AM
WOW! I am blown away how many people are building these trailers.

Jeff

Aspen Trails Trailers
05-25-2013, 05:33 AM
You and Cowboy motivated them, great work guys. Both really look great and the craftsmanship is fantastic.

Bob

Jeff Wanamog
07-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Finally getting around to tying up some loose ends. Redid the door seals. When I first got the trailer useable, I installed the quick connect for the stoves propane next to the refrigerators slide. So I figured it was time to do it right. Added a small access panel and spun the disconnect around. I want it to be sealed so I am trying some different sealing material around the perimeter.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/photo-46.jpg

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog
07-09-2013, 02:29 PM
I intended from the begininning to have some sort of attachment point at the rear in case the trailer slid sideways off of the trail. I took a section of receiver tubing and sectioned it into the rear most joist and extended it all the way to the next floor joist. The receiver pin is up under the trailer. I would not air lift the trailer by the shackle, but it should be exactly what I need in a pinch.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/ppijeff/photo-47.jpg

Jeff

SWbySWesty
08-12-2013, 05:29 PM
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/114927-R-I-P-Jeff-Wanamog-(Jeff-Lawrence)?p=1406576#post1406576

crismateski
08-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Rip friend

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

kcowyo
08-12-2013, 05:51 PM
In consideration of Jeff's untimely passing this weekend, we will close this thread to comments & questions for now. Please follow the link in post #196 to express your condolences -

**Edit: 10.7.14- Jeff's family is now selling this trailer. For pics, pricing info, etc. please check this link - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/132479-Jeff-Lawrence-s-(jeff-wanamog)-Offroad-Trailer-5500-OBO-Upland-Ca?p=1681146#post1681146