PDA

View Full Version : Another project: Survivor 1992 4Runner

Larry
02-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Not that we really needed another vehicle in our family of 2 but we couldnít pass this one up. We bought this ole girl from a gentleman my wife worked with at the school district. He purchased it brand new from Pueblo Toyota in June 1992. In 20 years he only racked up 122,948 miles on her! It is in great shape too! A true survivor.

Specs: 22R, 5 speed. The only option that I can see it has is A/C.

Issues: Needs tires, the rear window switch in the center console doesnít work, temp gauge doesnít work and the engine idles at 1,200 RPM. I already got a temp sending unit for it to install this weekend. I kind of wonder if the high idle is related to the temp gauge. If the ECM doesnít know the coolant temp it may be commanding high idle all of the time. I hope!

Plans: Steam clean the engine, tune up, new belts, hoses, thermostat, coolant, oil change, install a new of Goodyear Wrangler Authority 31x10.50R15 tires and replace the auto locking hubs with Rugged Ridge locking hubs. This will not be a true expo build thread as it doesnít need much for the duties it will serve us. Basically, it will be a around town runabout and the wife will use it to follow the big blue K10 along on trips to the mountains or desert destinations (the K10 is only a 2 seater). We actually picked up a 1989 V2500 Suburban (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/69228-Project-ďPolar-BearĒ-1989-V2500-Suburban)in October for that purpose but the wife says it is too big for her (she is 4Ē11 and 95 lbs). The fate of the Sub has yet to be determined.

Here she is. This little rig will make a great tag along behind the K10. Almost the same color too!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6852394433_61e612376a_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6852395433_cbb6ed9b9a_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7187/6852396333_ceb8e3c08f_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7208/6852397105_1d965177fd_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7027/6852398117_7f0a060df4_b.jpg

The little squirrel cage engine is dirty! The battery looks like a science project too.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6852393443_67c33c1b5a_b.jpg

The 4Runner will be a perfect little scooter to follow the K10 around. They even look like siblings.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3005/5861307852_e23550d69f_z.jpg

These are the tires I have on a site to store order through Wal-Mart. They are some Goodyear exclusive tire for Wal-Mart. They look nice and the price is right!
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/69/76/62/09/0069766209363_300X300.jpg

These are the Rugged Ridge hubs I am planning to use. Anybody have any experience with these? Are they any good?
http://store.4wheelingplus.com/images/rr-toyota-lockout-15001.21.jpg

My old Toy. I drove this 1990 Hilux through college. Sold it in 1996 before I moved to Detroit (A Toyota would have been the wrong vehicle to have parked at work in a GM parking lot) Now that I am out of Detroit, I can have Toys again! And here you all thought I was just a pure Chevy guy :ylsmoke:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3213/3130663047_9e4013a089_z.jpg?zz=1

JasonRedwood
02-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Great find, looks super clean.

Caoboy
02-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Why the switch from auto to manual hubs?

Larry
02-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Why the switch from auto to manual hubs?

Because autolocking hubs are habitual for being unreliable.

Rot Box
02-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Cool :coffeedrink: The 22RE 2nd gens aren't too common these days. I can't wait to see what you do with it--one thing is for sure you won't be short on aftermarket support.

I don't have experience with those hubs, but I do with just about every other aftermarket Toyota hub out there. All others I have seen do not use the conical washers and are poorly designed compared to the factory piece. Stock Aisin/Asco manual hubs are some of the strongest hubs out there they get my vote hands down.

SC T100
02-10-2012, 07:27 PM
That is an awesome find! Looks like it's not more than a few years old.

Stock Aisin/Asco manual hubs are some of the strongest hubs out there they get my vote hands down.

Yup...pull them off an older 4runner or pickup (like your '90). Used sets can definitely be found for relatively little money. You may need a few parts for the conversion but a few companies sell conversion kits (WabFab is one of many, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head).

Ps. The high idle might be caused by a sticky idle air control valve on the bottom of the throttle body...just something else to check. Also check into replacing the idle arm bushings ($10 and 45 minutes)...they are usually shot by that mileage.

Caoboy
02-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Because autolocking hubs are habitual for being unreliable.

Sorry to thread jack, but is this something common among certain toyota years or just a preference?

Larry
02-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Ps. The high idle might be caused by a sticky idle air control valve on the bottom of the throttle body...just something else to check. Also check into replacing the idle arm bushings ($10 and 45 minutes)...they are usually shot by that mileage.

Good info. Thanks for that. I havenít twisted wrenches on a Toyota for years. Guess, I need to order me up a Yota service manual.

Caoboy,

I personally havenít dealt with any failed Toyota auto locking hubs but on the American rigs auto locking hubs are horribly unreliable. From what I read on yotatech, Toyota isnít immune to reliability issues with their autolocking hubs either. Since Iíll have the front end apart to grease bearings I might was well add a good set of locking hubs.

Caoboy
02-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Sounds good, will exit the thread now.

You are lucky, I was searching high and low for a 4cyl 5spd....I ended up with an auto V6.

1leglance
02-10-2012, 11:20 PM
I cry FOUL
Thief Thief
That ain't right that you found that killer burb and now you get an even nicer 4runner
Some guys :)

Seriously congrats on a killer rig!

killahaas@gmail.com
02-10-2012, 11:35 PM
let me know how you like those tires! i want to get them when i buy my tacoma!

CA-RJ
02-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Those Rugged Ridge hubs look like cheap knock-offs of the OEM Toyota ones. I'd spend the extra money and buy the OEM ones. Piece of mind, if anything else.

PirateMcGee
02-11-2012, 01:06 AM
good find....nearly impossible to find a 22re 5spd 2nd gen in decent shape

Rightovercrest
02-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Jealous! Great find.

NorthernWoodsman
02-11-2012, 06:47 AM
I cannot second this enough. Stay with the stock Aisin/Toyota hubs. Recently, some d-bag decided to try to steal mine. Ended up just ruining one of them. Wel,, in my search for new hubs I considered switching to an aftermarket hub. I called around and talked to tons of local folks at different shops and everyone was very, very adamant that I should stick with the Aisin hubs. Everyone siad that there is just no comparison in build quality and strength.

As for finding them, well junkyards and craigslist might be a possibility. If you cannot find them let me know and I can find the name of the place I got mine here in Oregon. I bought a few used ones from an auto salvage place (just in case the d-bag came back). All were in very good condition, dirty, but in perfect working order. Each one cost $45, but since i bought four they knocked the price down to $40/ea. Yes, they do ship, and quick.

Oh, and congrats on the great looking truck, it's quite the unicorn you got there.

Cool :coffeedrink: The 22RE 2nd gens aren't too common these days. I can't wait to see what you do with it--one thing is for sure you won't be short on aftermarket support.

I don't have experience with those hubs, but I do with just about every other aftermarket Toyota hub out there. All others I have seen do not use the conical washers and are poorly designed compared to the factory piece. Stock Aisin/Asco manual hubs are some of the strongest hubs out there they get my vote hands down.

BLKNBLU
02-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Very nice find. If you ever decide that Toyota is just not for you, feel free to drop that little beauty in my drive and we can work out a figure.

Seriously though, on your rear window, check out this troubleshooting guide from Roger Brown before you drop any dough on a switch. There are a number of places where your trouble could lie.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/RearWindow.shtml

On the hubs, agree with everyone else that Aisin/ASCO is the best. Warns are good and if you already had some they would be fine. (or if you could get some for free) But if you're starting from scratch, you might as well shoot for the Aisins. As mentioned the cone washer setup is better. It is very likely that you can score an entire front end on CL for cheap from someone that is doing a solid axle swap. Then you can have the hubs and throw in the diff without all the actuator crap on it as well. Those ADD defeat write ups that rely on a hose clamp would make me a little nervous.

Welcome to Toyota!!

98dango
02-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Very nice score Larry

Do not buy any hub but Toyota my dad has a box full of broken aftermarket hubs. He cant even make one good hub out of the box just keeps it to show his customers. Most recently blew the lock switch out of his dd 81 Toyota with 31s driving to safe way in Woodland Wa in the snow. This truck only sees 4wd when the weather is bad has not been on a trial in 10 years since he took my key to it. His cheap Rugged what ever hubs where 5 days old its 3 blocks to the store from the shop.

Toyotero
02-11-2012, 02:43 PM
That is a great looking 4Runner! I can't wait to see it after the engine bay cleaning.

Those Rugged Ridge hubs look like cheap knock-offs of the OEM Toyota ones. I'd spend the extra money and buy the OEM ones. Piece of mind, if anything else.

Ditto. From everything I've read, nothing beats the stock AISIN hubs.

You can surf rock crawler forums and look for someone parting out their IFS after a SAS. Or just watch ebay :-)

and double ditto on 4Crawler's reference site.

Cheers.

Overbear
02-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Suggestions...

1)Like everyone else said, find stock Aisin units. I believe Marlin stocks them, if not check with Inchworm gears. (NOS)
2)Go down to toyota, and pick up/order spair cone washers, hubs, and studs. Trust me, you will thank me if you have to do a field rebuild

Oh yea...dual case and SAS that thing, its clean! :D (Ya know you never realise how offten you use the pirate4x4 flipoff2 tell you can't use it in a post, LOL)

Overbear
02-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Sorry to thread jack, but is this something common among certain toyota years or just a preference?

Really the big problem with the autolocking hubs is you have no control over them. You can't just get out and unlock them, and if they fail to lock you have no real way to take them apart and fix them, especialy when your out on a trail. Toyota should have never abandon the Manual locking hub, I feel, along with ditching the solid axle, it was one of the worst things they ever did for their 4x4 line.

tanglefoot
02-11-2012, 04:42 PM
That's a beaut! Ooh--that looks like Bright Blue Metallic Clear Coat--that's the color I drooled over the most in the brochures when I was 16. It even has my favorite wheels. And I swear those 2nd gen interiors were the coolest. That steering wheel and dash are giving me palpitations! Thanks for the eye-candy.

For the idle, have you tried the adjustment screw? There might be enough adjustment in the screw to get it back down to a reasonable level. It's the large, flat-bladed screw head towards the front of the throttle body on top. While it's running and warm, try cranking it clockwise and see if you can get the idle low enough and see if it runs well that way. Someone may have just cranked it up for some reason or another.

Wow--I'd be hesitant to change much of anything on it. I love the 2nd-gen look, bumpers and all.

Have fun!

Eric

Funrover
02-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Great score!

Danimal
02-12-2012, 03:35 AM
Fantastic find! One owner, low miles, no rust/damage, and a simple/reliable combo. Hope it serves you and your family well!

(A Toyota would have been the wrong vehicle to have parked at work in a GM parking lot)

I've spent time here and there over the last 4 years at the GM HQ and I'm always surprised at the percentage of Korean and Japanese vehicles in the employee lots.

Dan

Larry
02-12-2012, 06:32 AM
Thanks guys! I am really happy with this purchase even though I havenít had much of a chance to crawl around it yet. We just got it Wednesday night and the weather has been horrible here since. My wife loves it and actually talked me into getting it. She says it is her 4x4 Toy. She was trying to come up with a beach desination name for it and I told her these are called Surf's in other parts of the world so she decided Surf was a good name for it. Although my friend, Zooman75 came up with a good name too....Toy-D-Bowl. Blue like Tide Bowl with a Toyota spin :sombrero:. The boss always gets her way so I am sure Surf will be the final name.

BLKNBLU, great info on the window issue. The window works with the key in the rear gate but the console switch only allows it to roll down. No workie going up unless you use the key in the rear gate. As far as the hubs, I agree Aisinís are the anvil of the Toyota hub world but I already ordered the Rugged Ridge hubs. If they look cheesy Iíll send them back. 1LegLance has a set up hubs offered to too so that is another option.

I hear you on trusting a hose clamp to hold the ADD fork. That does sound a bit barnyard. I wonder if that fork can just be welded in place until I can find a non-ADD axle tube and shaft?

Overbear, nahÖno dual tcase or SAS for this Toy. It is too clean of a survivor to mess up.

Tanglefoot, yes this is the original color. In fact, it is the original paint. The previous owner, Mike, said it had never been wrecked or painted on. I agree, I think 2nd gen 4Runners and pickups of that generation were some of the best looking Toyota trucks and SUVís ever built. 3rd Gen are my second favorite. IMO, they certainly look better than todayís Tacoma and odd looking 4Runner. Ya, I know they have an adjustment screw on throttle body but I want to first find out if there is an issue causing the high idle before just turning the screw down to mask a problem.

Danimal,

Thanks for the compliment. With regards to parking, if you are referring to the RenCen as GM HQ, that building houses a lot more than just GM operations so the surrounding parking lot tends to be a hodgepodge of many vehicles. The Tech Center, Milford, GM Truck Product Center and most other GM lots are by far loaded with predominantly GM products. I worked at a Chevrolet office in Troy then later the RenCen downtown. When I worked at the RenCen I parked at Pontiac East Assembly and rode the company shuttle bus downtown as parking was so difficult at the RenCen given all of the GM and non-GM people working in there at that time.

Larry
02-17-2012, 10:54 PM
A few updates. Replaced the ECT sensor which fixed the temp gauge as well as the high idle problem, replaced the thermostat, coolant, oil change, full lube, etc. I had an upholstery shop touch up the front seat cushion as it was broken down from 20 years of sitting on it. Fabric was fine, it was just the cushion that needed attention. Also had a new muffler installed as the original was full of holes and leaking badly.

Then last night I repainted the wheels, center caps, lug nuts and got the new Wal-Mart special Goodyear Authority tires installed as well as the Rugged Trail locking hubs. I know the general consensus is the stock Aisinís are the best around however, these Rugged Trail hubs looked very well built. Heck, they looked a lot higher quality than the usual D44 style hubs you would get from Warn, Superwinch, etc that I am used to playing with. I was prepared to repack the front bearings but once I popped off the hub cover I was surprised to see fresh grease already in there. It looked like it was just packed yesterday so I just added the hubs and called it good. Didnít do the ADD root canal yet but plan to do so soon. I do see what you all mean by cone washers though as the Rugged Trail hubs do not use them. Iíll have to keep my eyes on them to see if they start to work loose. If they do, I go hunting for Aisinís.

The wife was so geeked up about this little truck she couldnít wait to drive it to work today and leave her 2010 BMW 335xi at home. Funny, when we were in college in the early 90ís she wanted a 4Runner and I wanted a Suburban. Fast forward 20 years and now we have the vehicles we wanted 20 years agoÖ..they are just 20+ year old vehicles now.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7057/6890124045_06a225c3d8_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7049/6890124489_3d4bb8f7c7_b.jpg

The Surf Turtle blue paint is very close to the late 90ís GM Quasar blue on the K10. Plan on painting that badly chipped up bumper this summer.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7206/6890127711_0f1b621d93_b.jpg

I love the look of the 31ís on stock wheels!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7179/6892220043_23c147c8f3_b.jpg

Tomorrow I am throwing a new set of plugs, wires, cap and rotor at it. Probably going to have the windows tinted next week as well.

dorton
02-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Thats a nice looking ride! Great find with the engine/tranny combo, they are getting harder, and harder tio find. Especially anywhere as nice as that.

Rot Box
02-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Lookin' great!

eblau
02-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Coming along nicely! Super jealous about the 22RE/ stick combo.

Overbear
02-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Really? They are almost all stick/22re's out here in CA

Byways
02-18-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm the original owner of a 22RE 90 4Runner with 5 spd and auto hubs. In 235,000 hard miles, with a higher-than-normal percentage of those miles backcountry and 4x4 roads, I've never had a problem of any sort with the auto hubs.

eblau
02-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Really? They are almost all stick/22re's out here in CA

Almost all V6's out here, at least where I am.

1stDeuce
06-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Heheh... I was just noticing the wall behind your 4-runner in the garage shot... I spy a blue and white plate with an "M" in the middle... Not a plate you see hanging on someone's wall very often!
Chris

deadbeat son
06-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Wow, never saw this thread before today. Great looking 4Runner Larry! Any new progress on the truck?

Larry
06-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Heheh... I was just noticing the wall behind your 4-runner in the garage shot... I spy a blue and white plate with an "M" in the middle... Not a plate you see hanging on someone's wall very often!
Chris

Dang, good eyes! Ya, that has been quite the conversation piece around here. My old company issue Michigan Manufacturers tag. That design plate was retired when MI changed the design of the manufacturerís tags. I didnít get an MI plate this time but rather an Indiana ďmĒ tag which are very ugly (who knew Indiana even had m tags??).

Wow, never saw this thread before today. Great looking 4Runner Larry! Any new progress on the truck?

Thanks! Well, it really doesnít need much so no real updates. This is actually the wifeís toy and she wonít let me do anything fun with it like add an ARB bumper and winch. Too bad too because there is a nice ARB bumper on Craigslist right now in our area that would fit this 4runner perfectly!

I tell ya, this little thing runs like a sewing machine and the wife is having a ball with it. Heck, even the AC blows colder than her 2 year old daily driver BMW. I recently had to change the 22RE valve cover gasket because the rear half-moon seal was leaking. It could use a set of shocks and she does want me to find a set of sliders for it. Does anybody know of a good source for this generation 4Runner sliders? Iím envisioning a double tube slider that may also help her step up into it. The only other real tweaks planned for it is to respray the front bumper and grill with OEM colors to fix the rock chips. I swear the previous owner followed a sand truck for 22 years straight!

Two weekends ago the wife and I and her parents and Coloradobill took an overnight fishing/camping/trailriding trip to the Hermit Lake near Westcliffe. This was her first time driving the ďSurf TurtleĒ (as she calls it) off-road. She really had a blast. It does lack some major power here at high altitude but one it gets off road it tootles around in 4lo like a champ.

Here are some of the pics from the trip. Small world, when we did this trip we saw Expo member ttora4runner up there in his 4Runner.

She was grinning ear to ear as I aired down the tires on the K10 and 4Runner
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7217/7398716590_7a4955ce69_c.jpg

Still smiling
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7100/7398779816_89d79545d9_c.jpg

The two rigs blend in well together. Almost the same exact colors
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8162/7398815932_611b7683a1_c.jpg

Near Horse Lake above Hermit Lake
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5114/7399029208_07e2ce40c4_c.jpg

She loved posing next to her new toy
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8027/7399019822_7e2e4e4ebd_c.jpg

Headed back down
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8151/7399050628_d19918794f_c.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5339/7399059832_85c17b7a5d_c.jpg

Thatís itÖ.that all we got of the overnighter at Hermit.

deadbeat son
06-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Thanks! Well, it really doesn’t need much so no real updates. This is actually the wife’s toy and she won’t let me do anything fun with it like add an ARB bumper and winch. Too bad too because there is a nice ARB bumper on Craigslist right now in our area that would fit this 4runner perfectly! . . . The only other real tweaks planned for it is to respray the front bumper and grill with OEM colors to fix the rock chips. I swear the previous owner followed a sand truck for 22 years straight!

The bumper respray is what I was hoping to see completed. The trip looks like it was a good time for all of you!

Caoboy
06-27-2012, 01:32 AM
Go with Marlin Crawler sliders! I don't think you can beat the price! http://www.marlincrawler.com/armor/side/rock-slider

Larry
06-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Go with Marlin Crawler sliders! I don't think you can beat the price! http://www.marlincrawler.com/armor/side/rock-slider

Thanks for the tip on the Marlin sliders. I kind of digs Stubbs sliders too.

Caoboy
06-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Never heard of stubbs, got a link?

huntsonora
06-28-2012, 03:57 PM
What kind of mileage is she getting with the 22re and the 5 speed?

Larry
06-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Never heard of stubbs, got a link?

Me neither until the other day when I read a thread here in the Toyota section where another member bought a set of Stubbs. They look nice for the price. Here is the link to Stubbs sliders (http://www.stubbswelding.com/page2.html). I like the looks and simplicity of the standard sliders

What kind of mileage is she getting with the 22re and the 5 speed?

Actually, we havenít even check the mileage yet but it seems pretty good.

DaveInDenver
06-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Then you can have the hubs and throw in the diff without all the actuator crap on it as well. Those ADD defeat write ups that rely on a hose clamp would make me a little nervous.
Adding manual hubs to ADD is just replacing the drive plates with hubs. If you want to completely eliminate the ADD, replace the driver side of the axle housing with one from a non-ADD, plug the vacuum lines and you're done. With these auto hubs it's a little different. The axle housing is the same as manual types, no ADD actuator, but the outer part of the hubs are not the same, so there's a few parts you have to pick up along with the manual hubs. Not exactly sure what's different though.

There aren't a lot of auto hubs on Toyotas out there, but other than being a PITA with nuisance disengagements I don't know that they are a reliability problem. I'd probably replace them on principle but for a daily driver it sure might be nice not to have to get out of the truck to lock in the front end. Actually seems just about perfect for Colorado and driving up skiing where you start on dry pavement and hit snow packed roads crawling in traffic. With manual hubs you have two choices, pull over to the shoulder and have to merge again or start out with the front end locked, which with a 22R-E is less than ideal.

Larry
06-28-2012, 04:50 PM
I agree with most of what Dave said. Even with the locking hubs that I installed the 4Runner is still running ADD at this moment. For now, I mainly added the hubs to stop spinning the half shafts. As gutless as a 22RE is at this altitude it needs all the help it can get to move along and without the resistance of moving the front half shafts while in 2wd. Not moving the half shafts also saves on fuel economy and wear and tear on the shafts themselves.

I have zero faith in anybodyís front axle disconnectsÖ.albeit GM, Chrysler, Toyota or whoever. If there is a method to rid a vehicle of it I take that path, especially on a 20 year old rig where the ADD is already on borrowed time before it takes a dirt nap. Iíve been keeping my eyes open for a non-ADD axle tube to swap in mine. Even if this was a daily driver, I would still do the same. I would rather plan a head and lock in the hubs when weather is in the area than rely on an axle disconnect. I am more into reliability and durability over convenience. Gee, how did people ever survive back in the days when all 4x4ís had a locking hubs and a big lever to pull to engage the transfercase? Today vehicles are loaded with automatic this and electric that which take away from durability. How spoiled we have all become.

Box Rocket
06-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Great looking truck! That's my favorite color on that vintage. I had a '93 reg cab in the same color. Loved that truck.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/boxrocket/AquaVelva/_MG_6499.jpg

DaveInDenver
06-28-2012, 06:27 PM
I would rather plan a head and lock in the hubs when weather is in the area than rely on an axle disconnect. I am more into reliability and durability over convenience. Gee, how did people ever survive back in the days when all 4x4ís had a locking hubs and a big lever to pull to engage the transfercase? Today vehicles are loaded with automatic this and electric that which take away from durability. How spoiled we have all become.
LOL! We are of the same mind, although I probably put ADD above auto hubs on my list of unnecessarily complex systems. I do see the logic behind non-manual systems as SUVs & 4WD trucks replaced cars as family mobiles. As people who treat them as trucks, manual everything doesn't bother us and is preferred, but to a soccer mom or someone heading to a nice dinner jumping out and locking the hubs is a legit pain. I don't blame manufacturers for offering what people want. It's really a philosophical question, economic, political, etc. Some people don't like big cars that are not super efficient, so they force everyone via CAFE into small cars, replacing the Vista Cruisers and substantial wagons of our childhoods. People realize that gutless cars with no space just don't work with families towing a camper on summer vacation but companies' hands are tied with regulations that don't jive with real market demands, so they do the next best thing and soften up their SUVs, which ticks off people looking for basic trucks. Problem is no one is happy in the end.

Clutch
06-28-2012, 08:32 PM
What, you haven't slipped in a LS motor into that thing yet. :ylsmoke:

I have owned two of those 22R equipped Yoda's...you would think I would of learned my lesson the first time.

A 3.4 swap would be awfully nice in there too...

Larry
06-28-2012, 11:19 PM
What, you haven't slipped in a LS motor into that thing yet. :ylsmoke:

I have owned two of those 22R equipped Yoda's...you would think I would of learned my lesson the first time.

A 3.4 swap would be awfully nice in there too...

Hehe, nahÖno LS swaps for this rig. My wife would probably shank me. It is too clean of survivor to change too much on it. 22REís are not a ball of fire but they make up for their shortcomings in sure determination and reliability. If it ever did get an engine swap it would be fun to swap in one of the direct injected 4.0L engines from a new 4Runner.

Clutch
06-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Hehe, nah…no LS swaps for this rig. My wife would probably shank me. It is too clean of survivor to change too much on it. 22RE’s are not a ball of fire but they make up for their shortcomings in sure determination and reliability. If it ever did get an engine swap it would be fun to swap in one of the direct injected 4.0L engines from a new 4Runner.

Ha ha funny.

Ohh yeah, that would a sweet swap.

day42
05-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Bump. Anything new with that awesome 4Runner?

Larry
07-26-2014, 11:59 PM
The little 4Runner is now for sale. In the 2.5 years weíve owned it weíve barely put on 4,800 miles plus with our new addition baby girl daddy must give up one of his 4x4ís for a baby friendly car.

The 4Runner currently has 127,000 miles and needs nothing although I noticed yesterday the A/C isnít blowing as cold as it did last summer so I'm going to add a bit more refrigerant this weekend. This little rig has no leaks, squeaks, shakes or rattles. It is an amazing little survivor that still runs and looks practically new. Its been garaged the 2.5 years we've owned it and lived in the garage at the previous owners (original owner) as well.

$6500 best offer. Iíll post up fresh pictures in the next day or so. PM me if interested

huntsonora
07-27-2014, 01:17 AM
I have a buddy that was in the market for anything clean with a 22re. He fell in love with my little red Toyota when he drove it to and from Mexico this past year

JWP58
07-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Sweet jebus, wish you would've posted this thing for sale a few weeks ago, before I bought a newer truck.....I would kill to have this thing!!!!!

Larry
08-28-2014, 11:55 PM
The add is up in the Classified Section for this little rig (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/130869-1992-Toyota-4Runner-SR5-22RE-Colorado) http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/smilies/whistling.gif

eblau
08-29-2014, 08:38 PM
I love this 4Runner, wish they were that clean out my way.