2012 Tacoma Questions

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I've had my 2011 Tacoma for about a year and a half and 30,000 miles so far. It has been mostly a commuter to date. Two things seem like they could have been designed better and possibly changed for 2012.

1. The door access module has one programable feature - beep or no beep. Lot's of light flashing, it relocks itself if you don't open a door within 45 seconds, no autolock when you start driving, etc. The 2011 Rav 4 has lots of programable features. Anyone have a 2012 know if there are more features in the 2012 module? Hoping I could get an access module from a 2012 if it would be an improvement rather then going aftermarket.

2. The exhaust pipe coming off the driver side hangs pretty low below the cross member. Are they still doing it that way or is there an aftermarket part that doesn't make that the controlling element of ground clearance?LowPipe1.jpgLowPipe2.jpg

I ordered my truck and it was one of the first ones to come out of the San Antonio plant.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

zolo

Explorer
have no idea about the alarm.

As for the exhuast that is many folks "complaint" but really if you are going to lift the truck a little and even if you dont I feel it would take the perfect situation to hit that pipe, and hit it hard enough to damage it more so. The best way to get rid of it is have an exhuast shop build a new y section. As far as I know the 2012 is the same as what you have in all regards, but the lights and bumper. It was more of a face lift rather than a new truck.

Im sure there are other with exhuast changes that could chim in here. Possibly a company making a bolt in section of pipe. Hope that helps.

Finlay

Triarius
So far as I know the 2012 access is not programmable. Which is fine with me - the only thing that annoys me is that the constant beep if you try to lock it with a door open. I'd prefer it if the it just assumed that I wanted the doors to lock when they closed next and then ********. But, whatever.

As for the exhaust pipe.... nope, still that stupid routing.

IMG_0318.jpg

upcountry

Explorer
Lots of tacoma owners have rerouted that pipe. Easily done. Jhst go to an exhaust shop and have them route it a different way, just not too many bends.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Thanks for the replys. Dosen't sound like it has changed at all. I'll keep up my responses in their customer satisfaction surveys along with the other minor annoyances of the head rest angle, no "on" indicator on the fog light switch, etc.

I read this trip report http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/71711-From-VA-to-Labrador-in-3-weeks-our-2011-Adventure/page3?highlight=nova and it got me thinking about the pipe. I touched it lightly with a rock on Black Gap Road on a Big Bend Trip. I'll look into raising it before I head off on anything serious.

Looks like the door module hasn't changed. The programing for the beeb/no beep is as follows for anyone who hasn't found it yet:

1. Open the drivers door and insert the key.

2. Remove and reinsert the key and turn the key to "on" within 5 seconds.

3. Wait 10 seconds for the system to enter program mode. (no indication that I've seen, just wait 10 seconds)

4. Press the same transmitter button twice, (I use the unlock button) within the next 10 seconds to toggle the beep from on to off or vice versa.

It took me a while to extract this from the dealer. When I bought the truck no one knew or could find the procedure. I tried two dealers and ultimately just unplugged it. My selling dealer came through with the programming procedure when it was published a few months later.

Be prepared to do this everytime you reset the service interval after an oil change as that resets the beep to the default setting of "beep at will". Disconnecting the wire from the beeper pretty much kills it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online