PDA

View Full Version : Need FJ Cruiser advice

brushogger
02-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Hey Guys, I'm looking hard at these as I'm tired of running scared from the Disco Temp gauge. FJ owners- Give me your impressions. Happy, unhappy, glad you bought it or not? Recommended options? I've been looking online and have found nothing really bad about them. I'm going shopping this weekend.

NothingClever
02-17-2012, 04:37 AM
You want to talk with ExPo member Corey before your wallet leaves your back pocket. Corey's the local Jedi of FJ Cruisers and is the site founder for www.yotatech.com.

02-17-2012, 05:35 AM
I've had a first-year model since 2006 and have 130,000 miles on it. It's been a great truck; you can drive it 80 mph all day long in air-conditioned comfort and still have a very capable 4WD when you get to where your going off-road. Toyota reliability (though the first year's production have a reputation for blowing rear diff ring gears if you hop the wheels when the diff is locked), good fuel economy for a 4WD when left stock. The main foibles are the poor visibility (which you get used to pretty quickly) and the suicide rear doors if you are carrying passengers in the back. Tons of cabin room for the front passengers. Way more powerful engine than any other 4WD truck I've ever had. It's not the perfect 4WD or expedition vehicle, but it's a damned good compromise of a really good comfortable highway vehicle with a capable off-roader. Huge aftermarket of cool off-road parts and accessories.

Recommended options? Get the rear diff locker and A-TRAC and nothing else if possible. The factory option skid plates are cosmetic jokes; the option rock rails are too close to the body to offer any real protection, and the factory roof rack is way expensive and not nearly as useful as any of the aftermarket offerings.

I use mine mostly for a work truck now, but it doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil and is perfectly reliable at 130,000 miles. I expect to double that and more easily. They're relatively easy to maintain.

VDBAZFJ
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
08 FJ here. I love it. By far the favorite car I've ever had. There are only a couple of things I "dis-like". That being the back seat. I have a 3 y.o. So, with only one car seat, its fine. If I had two...it'd be a little tougher to do comfortably.

Even though I average 20mpg, Id like more with the price of gas going up. 45k miles and thankfully no problems yet!

Corey
02-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Best rock solid rig I have ever owned.
It is my 4th Toyota too.

Have not had one problem with it since I took delivery of it back in July of 2006.

When I first got it I averaged 21 MPG, but I am now down to around 16 average city/freeway due to the mods I have done to it.
Coming from a 1991 3.0 Automatic 4Runner, the 4.0 in the FJ feels like a V8 to me, plenty of pep.
Even when loaded down with all of my camping gear the rig never feels sluggish.

Like 1911 said, get the E locker and A Trac setup if you plan on doing any off roading with it.

Do not be put off by some who say the rig has blind spots.
If you can drive with mirrors (the correct way to drive anyways) you will have no problem.

Rear seating can be tight, but then I have no rear seats.
Mine are out to hold camping gear.

I use mine as a daily driver, and for camping, and light off roading, mainly exploring old growth forest service roads and side trails that take me to interesting out of the way camp spots.

http://www.pnw4runners.com/fj/fire_extinguisher2/1.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.com/camping_trips/aug10/26.jpg

cnynrat
02-17-2012, 02:33 PM
I've got an '07 that we've had since Dec-06, which now has about 82k miles on it. I think 1911 is pretty much spot on with his assessment of the pros & cons. It's a very driveable truck, suitable for daily use, that is also very capable off road. Perhaps not as rugged as a solid front axle setup would be, but for the types of trails most folks run around here it's more than up to the task.

In terms of factory options, definitely go for the rear locker and ATRAC. I'd advise against the factory skids, rock rails, and roof rack. In all three cases there are better options available in the aftermarket for the same or less money. As far as the rest of the options available I think that's really a matter of personal preference.

There are some idiosyncrasies. Outward visibility is limited, but you do get used to it, and a pair of stick on parabolic mirrors work wonders in terms of the rear blind spots. The rear suicide doors are a little odd, so if you are in and out of the back seat a lot I can understand folks who find that to be a negative.

The 4 Runner is another choice that offers similar off-road capabilities without some of the idiosynchrasies of the FJC. I'm not sure the latest version is as well supported in the aftermarket as the FJ (it may be, I'm just not sure). I originally set out thinking I was going to buy a 4 Runner, but then found out it has limited head room for my 6'4" frame, so I went with the FJC.

xpdishn
02-17-2012, 03:58 PM
'07 here with 82,000+ miles. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Still smile when I pull it out of the shop. The fam is myself, the navigator and two dogs. A couple of years ago, pulled the rear seats out and converted all the space to storage with the dogs on top. If you have children then that should be answered by those that also have.

Have you gone to the "blue" room? -- http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/index.php?page=active_topics Nothing but FJ stuff.

You can drive all day on the pavement and not get tired - great truck for those long trips. Off pavement it is extremely capable and easy to drive. I have never broke down on the trail nor on the road.

Agree with all to get the ATRAC and rear lockers and leave everything else stock. The aftermarket is hugh and all of it bolts directly on the FJ.

Highly recommend the FJ.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66/sydney-09/Misc Bob pics/260.jpg

RocKrawler
02-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Having owned one for several years and built thousands for customers at the last 3 shops I can thell you they are capable, but the chinese fire drill that is getting front and rear passengers in/out in a tight parking space and the visibility of driving a football helmet, all other things are good. My history:

BIGGUY
02-17-2012, 04:20 PM
I've got an '07 bought in August of '06. I just turned over 163,000 miles on it. I had the brakes done on all four corners about 10,000 miles ago for the first time. I did have to replace a bad wheel sensor and I had a loose tie rod end replaced too. Normal maintenance other than that. Love it. Like the others said it is a great vehicle. I use mine as a DD and I also do a lot of dirt roads. I've been to Moab and done trails in other parts of UT, CO, and WY. I'm modded but on trips can still see 21mpg once in awhile. I mostly average about 18 in summer and 16 or so in winter. Mine was pretty basic with only the rear locker and cruise. I added the switch for Atrac and was set to go.

A couple photos when stock and modded on the stuff I drive.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x169/1bigguy/photos/DSC_1300-1-1.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x169/1bigguy/photos/IMG_7259-1.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x169/1bigguy/photos/DSC_9331.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x169/1bigguy/photos/056-1.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x169/1bigguy/photos/066.jpg

01tundra
02-17-2012, 04:30 PM
We bought my wife a 2012 and we love it. Haven't started building it yet, but she drives about 60 miles each way for work and she's very happy with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/01tundra/FJC.jpg

SWITAWI
02-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Nailed it -
It's not the perfect 4WD or expedition vehicle, but it's a damned good compromise of a really good comfortable highway vehicle with a capable off-roader.

I pretty much always end up being an echo for guys like Lee, Corey, Dave, and Gary. Maybe it's because they're responsible for my FJ purchase, warts and all. My still-stock FJC doesn't hold a candle to all of theirs, but I have enjoyed it immensely.
:coffeedrink:
Bought my '08 used in Aug. '10 with 12k miles on it for $25k. As noted before, A-TRAC and the Rear Locker are must-haves. Transmission is a more personal choice. I got the 5-speed Automatic and it's the best auto I've owned (after driving manuals all my life, lol). I specifically looked for a 'bald one' because I despise the half-useful Toyota roof rack. My hitch carrier has worked well enough as a substitute so far. Originally I really, really wanted a full-size pickup, but I needed a do-all vehicle that would serve as both my primary commuter and weekend getaway transport. A full-size would simply have been overkill due to daily fuel costs, the fact that I am single and don't haul a family around, and I have access to three or four 1-ton pickups I can borrow at a moment's notice if I have to. Now at +50k miles I have thoroughly enjoyed the stock configuration's versatility. Sure there are full-size 1/2-ton pickups rated for +20mpg on the highway these days, but their average over a tankful still probably doesn't come close to that. My mileage on an entire tank is still 17-19.5mpg every time I fill up with most tanks resulting in mid-18mpg's after a week of driving to the office everyday, including the obligatory stop-and-go traffic every morning. I've had one tankful that netted a +20mpg average, and that was all highway with the cruise control set at 70mph. I know I could get better MPGs, but that's just how I drive. Couple the mileage with the fact that it has taken me everywhere I've asked it to and back again on the crappy OE tires, and I could not ask for a more versatile stock vehicle for what I paid for it. Granted, I'm no rock crawler or mudder, and I'm old enough now that I don't feel the need to put myself out on a limb every weekend...
:coffee:
All that being said the FJ has well-documented warts...
1. The stock suspension is too soft for anyone needing to do more than just drive on pavement. If you put 3 big guys and a big dog inside, load up the rear, and then put a couple hundred pounds of coolers and camping gear on a hitch carrier you will feel like you're driving a Hollywood searchlight at a movie premiere. The headlights will be pointed so high as to be unusable on high beam and the low beams will blind oncoming traffic. The soft front end dives dramatically under hard braking, and if you manage to engage the anti-lock brakes you will feel like you should have stopped 20yds back.
2. The interior plastic quality is rather unforgiving of scratches, and the hard plastic floor in the rear cargo area (especially the backs of the rear seats) will quickly start looking like you have a Honey Badger for a pet if you throw stuff back there all the time.
3. The rear visibility is a mixed bag overall, but not something that can't be lived with. The view straight out the back window is actually okay, but the C-Pillar blind is pretty big.
4. The rear doors weren't really a factor to me, but I wouldn't have bought an FJ if I was married with kids.
5. After being thankful for the decent mileage, I must say my biggest gripe is the 19gal fuel tank and the way it fills up. Most owners of stock FJs get similar mileage as me, but often say they only get 300 miles on a tank. It's because the fuel nozzle shuts off early and no one wants to over fill. If the low fuel light comes on and I drive another 10-20 miles before I fill up, the gas pump will often get to 16-17gal and then shut off. By intermittent slow filling I can get another 2-3gal into it and that easily results in 350mi of highway travel. My best range yet has been almost 380 miles on one tank. Another 4-5gal capacity would have been perfect. If the also Prado 120-derived 4th Gen 4Runner had a 23gal tank and carried its spare tire underneath the body I don't think its unreasonable to be disappointed in Toyota for giving the FJ Cruiser a smaller tank.
:safari-rig:
There are obvious ways to fix some of the flaws, some for a reasonable amount, and some for not-so-reasonable amounts. I plan to avoid going the 'standard' 3" lift route with a shorter alternative, but it will involve uprated springs and shocks for better load and handling, not just some silly spacers. I'm gonna get all the miles I can out of the OE tires since I drive so much on the highway, but I sure will be glad to see them go in favor of some decent all-terrains. I will keep to the stock tire size so that my mileage isn't so affected. Less than 400mi of highway range is something I'm just going to have to live with unless I want to pony up the $1700 for a Man-A-Fre auxiliary tank. The visibility doesn't bother me much since I drove a company van for 7yrs, and the rear doors actually seem convenient to a single guy who used to have a straight-up two door for a personal vehicle. Nothing is ever really perfect, and the FJ is a prime example. It needs some fine tuning, but it works for me and I'm happy with it.
:beer:
Yeah, it's been a slow Friday afternoon...

02-17-2012, 11:17 PM
... Transmission is a more personal choice. I got the 5-speed Automatic and it's the best auto I've owned (after driving manuals all my life, lol).

Excellent points and thorough review. I have the auto tranny also (couldn't find a manual when I bought mine), and it is an excellent one. Shifts so smooth that I sometimes can't tell that it has without watching the tach.

But this reminds me of one of my gripes with this truck that I forgot to say - the cruise control is super irritating! It frequently coasts to 3-5 mph slower than you set it at, then down-shifts a gear and accelerates to 3-5 mph faster than the set speed. It drives me crazy! Now to be fair, my truck is super heavy with all the steel crap I've put on it, and heavy oversize tires - but I've re-geared the diffs for a lower-than-stock final drive ratio even considering the 34" tires. And it was irritating even when the truck was stock. I know that Toyota knows how to make a decent cruise control; the one in my FJ80 was WAY better and that was an underpowered slug compared to the power and acceleration of the FJC.

justfred
02-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Just one note of dissent, coming from a Disco owner.

Especially as compared to the huge, panoramic windows of the Discovery, he visibility of the FJ is abysmal. It's like being inside a cave. Front, side, quarter, and back windows are tiny.

I know there's a lot to like about these trucks - I was in line to buy one when they came out - but I couldn't live with the minimal viz.

vanisl4runner
02-18-2012, 01:19 AM
These are my favourites. When I was a lube tech at toyota I got to handle these things. Loved them, convinced my uncle to buy one and he loves his. They are a good buy but I would suggest getting a 2009. Best year in my opinion. More colour options that year and it was the last year of the spin off oil filter at the top of the engine. After that they went to an oil cartridge at the bottom behind a skid plate. So for ease of maintenance the 2009 is the best. You will love these things I promise...Super tough frame too

Danimal
02-18-2012, 02:29 AM
Especially as compared to the huge, panoramic windows of the Discovery, he visibility of the FJ is abysmal.

Agreed. Everyone's idea of what is acceptable is different, but as compared to my 3rd gen 4Runner and 2nd gen Tacoma the visibility out of my dad's FJ was just annoying. I can't imagine taking a trip to a beautiful place and being the poor soul who is stuck in the backseat of an FJ Cruiser.

Dan

less_than_adam
02-18-2012, 04:41 AM
I own a basically stock 2010 fjc. I'm seriously considering trading it in for something with 4 doors. We are expecting our first child in August and I'm just not sure the suicide doors in back are going to cut it. 4 doors are just so much more convenient.

That said, I do love the fjc. It is a super capable truck.

brushogger
02-18-2012, 05:04 AM
we had narrowed our choices to a Rubicon unlimited and the FJ. We went and test drove both tonight. We both liked the FJ much better. it was much more comfortable and quiet on the highway. I drive a 3/4 ton van everyday, so the visibility while not as good as the Disco wasn't a problem. There's just something about the Rover though. I love that truck, but it just doesn't make financial sense to keep it. The x2 insurance and premium fuel are downers, but the ride and capability are great. I do want something that I can depend on for the next 20 years and I don't think the Disco is it even if I rebuild it and put in top hat liners. I think the FJ is that truck. My son has a 1988 Toyota fwd pickup with a 22r that is still going strong on the original motor. I also found a good deal on a 2010 FJ trail team edition with 28k on it I'm going to try and check out tomorrow.

targa88
02-18-2012, 05:08 PM
2007 owner with 80K.
Very satisfied. Has taken me every where I want to go and never let me down (on/off road). Spent a year totally stock (E-locker + ATRAC) before modding.

The 4.0 ltr V6 & tranny are solid workhorses that should last a long time. Manual transmission is full time 4WD - I chose 5-spd Auto. Plan to keep it for a LONG time.

I removed the rear seats a long time ago = no passenger to haul around. That being said the front cabin has more space then anything I have driven.

Pet peeves:1) upright windshield = prone to rock chips/cracking, 2) size of fuel tank; 3) cruise control down shifts sometime 2 gears when heading up hill. All minor IMHO

Regular maintenance is simple to do.

Dgurley2000
02-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Here's an extremely environmentally friendly FJC for sale you might be interested in. Is already built:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/73921-BUILT-08-FJC-Atlas-SuperCharger-Extreme-enviroment-friendly

SWITAWI
02-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Casper lives! And that's definitely extreme environment friendly, not environmentally, lol.

brushogger
02-19-2012, 03:50 AM
Did it. 2010 FJ Trail Team with 28k miles. Love it. Goodbye Disco. You'll be missed but I won't miss working on you.
http://img.tapatalk.com/4cf2bb5a-712b-e028.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/4cf2bb5a-714e-e15a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/4cf2bb5a-7162-172b.jpg
We'll be ordering a winch and bumper shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corey
02-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Congrats, fine looking FJ.
What will be your plans as far as the winch and bumper?

BIGGUY
02-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Nice! Congrats on the FJ.

JeffRRC
02-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Congratulations on your purchase - good color! I love our '08 and think you will really be happy with your truck.

brushogger
02-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Congrats, fine looking FJ.
What will be your plans as far as the winch and bumper?

Thanks guys. I'm thinking Warn 9.5xp for the winch. Haven't decided on a bumper yet. Any suggestions?

Corey
02-20-2012, 04:49 PM
There are a lot out there, but ARB bas been on the scene the longest, and their bumpers are well proven in the outback for keeping roo's at bay.
A
Real
Bumper
Spells out ARB :D

1leglance
02-20-2012, 05:04 PM
I would really suggest you look at the Aluminess front bumper over the ARB.
Unless you live somewhere like Texas or Colorado where you are very likely to hit a deer the wgt savings of the Aluminess is worth every penny.
The ARB/Warn combo was on my FJC and I gained an inch and a huge feeling of lightness when I switched to the Aluminess.
Also I put that light wgt bumper through some very harsh use and it worked perfect.

The front of the FJC is already heavy and adding a steel bumper is something you will really feel on the trail & highway.
Go for the wgt savings of the Aluminess and you will be very happy.

Sempertoy
02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
That's an awesome FJ! If my 80 ever wears out, I think I'll grab one of these. You have a great platform and the Trail Teams looks awesome.

weezerbot
02-20-2012, 05:28 PM
The ARB looks like a brick sitting on the front of the FJ, does not go well with the lines IMO. I think the best looking/still functional bumpers out there for the FJ are the Road Armor, followed closely by the Expedition One. Demello's are nice too. Congrats on the purchase! We sure miss our FJ, its just such a fun and cool looking vehicle. We've often joked about buying another one and just leaving it stock.....

xpdishn
02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
I would really suggest you look at the Aluminess front bumper over the ARB.
Also I put that light wgt bumper through some very harsh use and it worked perfect.

The front of the FJC is already heavy and adding a steel bumper is something you will really feel on the trail & highway.
Go for the wgt savings of the Aluminess and you will be very happy.

X'2 with Lance. With the FJ think weight. Every pound you add is one less for storage.

BTW - great looking FJ, you won't be disappointed.

STREGA
02-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Nice choice on the FJ, you won't believe what it will do in a stock configuration. :wings:

As for bumpers...everybody has their favorites, mine is the Aluminess on the front. Weight is the biggest reason for me, the ARB/Road Armour/Fab Four all fail on this. Even without a winch most steel bumpers you will have some front end sag unless you also put on some stiffer springs. The Aluminess weighs less than 10 lbs more than the stock bumper. At the first Overland Expo Aluminess had their FJ bumper on display, it was hanging on a scale by fishing line! If I had to get a steel bumper I would get a Expedition1 Kodiak, hands down the best looking/functional front FJ bumper out there. The Aluminess bumper is a love it/hate it when it comes to looks for a lot of people, I love the 50,60 or more lbs it saves over the other bumpers. I live in Colorado and in a area where a deer encounter is highly probable and I'am sure it will do fine protecting the front end of my FJ.

02-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Haven't decided on a bumper yet. Any suggestions?

I have installed a good dozen or so front bumpers (and several rears too) on FJC's; here is a quick summary of my opinions based on my experience, in no particular order:

ARB: still the standard by which all others are judged. Extremely sturdy, arguably the best protection, crash tested, but very heavy.

Demello: A good compromise between moderate weight and utility/protection. Well-contructed. Funny angle for the fairlead. Excellent approach angle. Compact nature means that not every planetary winch will fit inside (was designed around the Warn M8000). Not always packed/shipped well.

Expedition One: Out of all the bumpers I have personally installed (not all brands by any means), the Expedition One has impressed me the most with it's well-thought-out design, sturdy mounting, quality of construction, and careful packing for shipping. It is #1 on my list. I run Demello bumpers on my own FJC, but if I were buying again for any reason I would go with E1. YMMV.

Warn: Any of their planetary winches will fit. Well-constructed.

All-Pro: Not my favorite company or my favorite bumper, by a long shot. many other folks like them just fine though.

RockTek: One of the best-looking designs, well-thought-out, sturdy. The biggest down-side is the on-again, off-again nature of the owner/builder.

Aluminess: no experience.

That's all I can remember for now. Hope this helps, and good luck with your purchase decision.

theicecreampeople
02-21-2012, 12:12 AM
i have the demello triple hoop ....jazzed for your new ride .will se ya on the trails brother..87413

GHOSTFJ
02-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Running with a allpro 3 hoop up front. Got a great deal on the bumper off a friend. I like the approach angles and the fact that it is lighter than some others. What kind of winch you can run is a little more limited, campared to other bumpers. If I was to pay full price, I would go with a Expo1 or Rocktek, IMO.
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/RCROCKCRAWLER/DSC_7596.jpg

Pathfinder
02-21-2012, 11:02 PM
My Fj is a 2010 Team Trails edition that I found the dealer willing to discount back in October of 2010. I specifically wanted the 2010 because it no longer needed premium fuel, but runs fine on regular unleaded.

My son and I installed the Expedition One bumper with the Diamond style bars, and the SuperWinch that Expedition One ships with their bumper with synthetic line.

When you swap out the bumper in the 2010 version, the windshield wiper fluid container hangs down way below the new bumper, and is sorely exposed as my son and I found out after doing the swap. I talked to the folks at Expedition One and they shipped me their kit to relocate the windshield wiper fluid tank to inside the engine compartment, and it works flawless. (http://www.expeditionone.biz/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:fjcwwfr&catid=40:fj-accessories&Itemid=106) If you have a 2010 or newer FJc you will need something like this if you swap out the bumper.

I received my bumper at my home in Indiana, after being shipped all the way from Utah, and the bumper was fully encased in foam, and the finish was and still is flawless. I have been quite pleased with it.

I have stuck with the stock Team Trails suspension and tires so far, as I drive from Indiana to Utah, and prefer the ride quality and lower noise than with larger wheels and tires.

I get 18-20 mpg with it, and like some of the previous posters, I really wish it had a 23-24 gallon tank over the stock 19 gallon fuel tank. The Man-a- Fre replacement is too large and too expensive for me. I will add a jerry can or two if I really need that much more fuel.

Here it is at City of Rocks on the way to the Overland Expo last year.

http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Travel/Overland-Expo-and-Home-April/FJC-at-City-of-Rocks-NM-MG0712/1245516861_Zc9J3-L.jpg

Corey
02-21-2012, 11:12 PM
My Fj is a 2010 Team Trails edition that I found the dealer willing to discount back in October of 2010. I specifically wanted the 2010 because it no longer needed premium fuel, but runs fine on regular unleaded.

No FJ requires anything more than regular.
The first FJs like mine have a sticker in the fuel area that says to use premium, but they recanted that later and released a statement that was false.

All FJs will run fine on good old regular fuel.

From June of 2006.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/5602-toyota-bulletin-using-regular-gas-anyone-seen.html

Pathfinder
02-22-2012, 12:57 AM
I'll be darned!

BIGGUY
02-22-2012, 01:01 AM
I've got the All Pro with just the middle hoop on it. I liked the approach angles, the lighter weight, and the looks of it. I went with a Warn 9000RC which is the Rock Crawler winch because it came with the synthetic line and overall was a lighter package too. The bumper has been good so far and I've never used the winch yet. If someone nearby wants to get stuck and give me a call...............

brushogger
02-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Okay....... That deal didn't pan out, but this one did! The Disco is officially gone and this is officially ours. http://img.tapatalk.com/6377dd42-daf4-bced.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/6377dd42-db4a-7001.jpg
New 2012 with the off road package. The Disco was a very fun truck, but It's going to be so nice to travel without wondering if we're driving a time bomb and keeping the eyes glued to the temp gauge.
Talked to Jacque today at TRD parts4U in Dallas. He has a Demello triple hoop winch bumper in stock that will probably find a home here.

loup407
02-24-2012, 02:00 AM
Congrats on your new FJ! I came late to this thread and can only echo most of the comments made already. I bought my 2008 in Jan of that year. I turned over 90,000 this week, and still have the original brake pads and clutch. I've not had any issues; and still smile when I start it up. My previous two vehicles had been 4x4 pickups with a camper shell and the FJ's rear visibility is no worse. I did spring for the Man-A-fre auxiliary fuel tank. While not cheap, the peace of mind one gains from having almost 40 gallons of fuel onboard is almost worth the cost of the tank. I installed it with a buddy in 8 hours. If I ignored the instructions I could do it in maybe 4. Our FJ has taken us from Colorado to every state west of here without a hiccup, while pulling an A/T Horizon. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

targa88
02-24-2012, 02:04 AM
You might want to check out the tube bumper from Metal-tech (there is a GB going on that includes a winch).

I am running one of the first tube bumpers Metal-Tech made = very satisfied.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/targa88/Mods/FJCWedgeOutllook.jpg

Corey
02-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Well congrats again, but this time on the right one.

A coworker in our office after eying mine for many a year now just bought a new 2012 black FJ Cruiser.
He picks it up today after work.

brushogger
02-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I love this thing! I had been leery about them because of the blind spot issue everyone talks about, but since I'm used to driving a panel van every day it's no problem at all. Now I just need to get the rover stuff listed for sale and start measuring to organize our trail and camping gear.

Lostmanifesto
02-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Love my FJ. I have owned 8 Toyota trucks, various other SUVs and numerous cars. The FJ is now the second longest vehicle I have owned. I don't see myself parting with it for any reason.

http://www.jordanmay.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_1058.jpg

Link to my build - http://www.jordanmay.com/2011/11/2010-toyota-fj-cruiser/

GHOSTFJ
02-24-2012, 04:03 PM
I love this thing! I had been leery about them because of the blind spot issue everyone talks about, but since I'm used to driving a panel van every day it's no problem at all. Now I just need to get the rover stuff listed for sale and start measuring to organize our trail and camping gear.

Congrats! I drove a sprinter van for 4 years, the blind spots on that are far worse than my FJC. Nothing is perfect but the FJC gives me the best of both worlds, a nice DD and Expo rig to take me and the family outdoors.

BigSwede
02-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Blind spots are for people who don't know how to use their mirrors properly.

STREGA
02-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Blind spots are for people who don't know how to use their mirrors properly.

:xxrotflma I drive a school bus we have more mirrors than anything out there, you learn to depend on them. The FJ blind spot complaint is overblown IMO. Yes you do have to pay attention while driving, but you should be anyway.

Brushhog, the more you drive it the more you will like it maybe even become some what obsess with it. If you can swing it you should bring it out to the FJ Cruiser summit @ Ouray this July, its a fun event and a great way to check out other peoples FJ's and get real world advice on mods that you might be interested in. Doug :friday:

brushogger
02-25-2012, 06:57 AM
I wish we could make it to the summit, but we already have a trip from Mexico to Canada on the continental divide trail scheduled the last week of July and first week of August. Well try and make it in 2013.

brushogger
02-27-2012, 06:38 PM
I've been doing a lot of research on this and have decided to go with the Aluminess bumper and Warn 9.5xp winch. Its still very strong and is 100lb lighter than the ARB and 60 lb lighter than the Demello. I'm going to try and keep the weight down as much as possible on this build.

Corey
02-27-2012, 06:40 PM
There was an article in 4WD Toyota Owner magazine (http://www.4wdtoyotaowner.com) last year of one of those bumpers installed on an FJ Cruiser.
Good bumper.
If I did not have the ARB I might go for it.

STREGA
02-28-2012, 01:24 AM
I've been doing a lot of research on this and have decided to go with the Aluminess bumper and Warn 9.5xp winch. Its still very strong and is 100lb lighter than the ARB and 60 lb lighter than the Demello. I'm going to try and keep the weight down as much as possible on this build.

Its a good choice IMO, weight is something you have to watch with the FJ. Every mod that I have done to my FJ has been carefully considered as to need/function vs weight it will add. With the Aluminess bumper you can also have a winch for the same weight as the typical steel bumper alone. As long as your not doing hardcore rockcrawling it will do just fine. The folks at Aluminess were great to do buisness with also.

Doing the Continental Divide would be a blast, its on the bucket list for sure.