Dirtslngr's 03 tacoma build

dirtslngr

Okay so I figured it's time to start one of these, as I am actually starting to build it up a little bit. I got this the summer of '11, after selling my heep grand Cherokee. Needed something reliable and more stock than my last 4x4. I had always loved toyota's and was jealous of my buddies 4runner. Alright:
Specs: saved from PA, 02 extended cab sr5 , 2.7L, 5 speed, 4x4, ADD hubs, stock 4.30 gears and 265/70 tires

Here's a current picture :
78fc2485.jpg

d3ea7be8.jpg

Mods to date are :
ARB bumper
4xinnovations sliders w/ kickout
265/75/16 treadwright mt/r on GY mt/r casings D-rated
Bilstien 5100s all around, on middle setting
Pinch weld mod beat to hell

Last edited:

dirtslngr

Bought the truck on eBay from a dealer up in Philadelphia, PA. Flew up with my dad and drove the 800~ miles home. I learned to drive on the road home (5spd) , I think we stopped at a church parking lot somewhere in VA along the road.

Did a lot of wheeling stock, at Little mountain
IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

Clearance was quickly an issue. See where the rear diff dragged
IMG_0688.jpg

Also went to amicalola, old Bucktown, Dawson forest area
CIMG3827.jpg

CIMG3830.jpg

CIMG3833.jpg

CIMG3840.jpg

CIMG3841.jpg

Local trails a mile from the house
CIMG3844.jpg

CIMG3847.jpg

CIMG3850.jpg

CIMG3846.jpg

I had a delivery job at the time so I got a lot of seat time in my truck driving that summer ( about 750 miles a week). I think my first purchase was a set of wet okole Trd seat covers, which I love. Second buy was a set of sliders about a month later, which we welded up at home in our shop. It was a good experience and coated them in rustolem bed-armor, which looks great and has held up to quite a few tree rubs on tight trails.
CIMG3825.jpg

dirtslngr

Did some maintainence, full mobil one synthetic oil change and replaced gear oil in transmission, cleaned and oiled the k&n drop in filter (came with the truck), new spark plugs and coil, new master and slave cylinder.
Also installed a ARB bumper, winch is soon to come.
78fc2485.jpg
it's going to take a little work to line up perfect, the drivers side tow hook will not bolt in. I did not notice a drop in ride level, looks about the same as it did before with billies set at 1.25" and stock coils. I did notice a bit more roll in the front end in turns and a bit bouncier suspension.

I made the drive down for Durhamtown off-road park's Save The Park ride 2/25. A lot of built rigs there, I traveled down and met up with TTORA. A lot of buggies from pirate and jeeps attended.
77354e41.jpg

0f5f7fce.jpg

8b59181f.jpg

564a5826.jpg

I quickly realized I needed more clearance, a locker, and real skid plates. It looks like I'm order a bud built front skid this week, I want to make it up to Tracy City, TN this weekend for a SFWDA meeting and a trail run with Damn Locals 4x4 club.

dirtslngr

Can't wait to get this mounted up. The belly pan will come soon, or I will build my own tcase mount and crossmember .
13745df1.jpg

dirtslngr

I got the bud built skid mounted up, it is well built. Also fixed my leaking front diff by installing new seals.
Old seal, passenger side:
eed84152.jpg

Bought a set of 16" steelies, this is a bad picture but it's the only one I have right now
03d9f70c.jpg

Can't decide to put the new wheels on or sell them. Any thoughts?

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Cool truck. I'm a fan of the steelies myself. Where it's the photo with the new budbuilt skid plate?

dirtslngr

I plan on getting one this weekend! Its pretty good lookin. Right now I am holding on the the steelies, school has taken over my life for a few months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier