Quick! Tire question!

I'm looking at a set of used Duratracs for my truck- they've got about 1500 miles on them. They're the 10 ply, load range E tires.

I'm wondering if they'll be too stiff for my '03 DC Tacoma? Or for my 99 4Runner for that matter?
I have no lift, and seldom load the truck down. No aftermarket bumpers, etc, just a fiberglass topper. Same is true for the T4R- no big mods.

He's letting them go for a decent price, not a steal, but about as good as it gets around here.
He bought a truck from the dealer, and the PO put brand new Duratracs on it right before he traded it in. Weird, but true.

The sooner I let him know, the better. Thanks guys!

xjaugie

Adventurer
While abiet stiff, I've got a set of Duratracs with about 5,000 miles and so far they've got me through mud, rocks, and beaches with no problem. And I'm used to riding on BFG MT's. But the E rating might just be too much.

NothingClever

Explorer
I could be completely off base but I don't think you'll notice the tires that much (maybe some improved cornering on the street) until you get off the pavement. If you want to run county roads (dirt) at high speeds, you'll definitely want to air down to soften the ride and keep your fillings in.

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
Might depend more on air pressure. I have an F250 with the Duratracs and a 60 psi they are okay un loaded but need to be aired up to 80 with a load. They are a great tire. Run less pressure for a lighter vehicle.

NCjeyota

I have an 03 DC Tacoma and recently put Falkan Rocky Mountain tires on it, which are load range E, the ride has been decent. They told me at the tire place to keep the pressure up to around 45lbs for driving onroad because with any lower pressure they would ride rough since the side walls are so stiff.

Expedition Leader
I run E-rated Toyo mud tires on my FJC and the ride is fine to me, but they're very heavy and knocked a couple of mpg off of my fuel economy and they have to be aired WAY down to soften them enough for traction off-road. How much do the Duratrac's weigh?

I have an 03 DC Tacoma and recently put Falkan Rocky Mountain tires on it, which are load range E, the ride has been decent. They told me at the tire place to keep the pressure up to around 45lbs for driving onroad because with any lower pressure they would ride rough since the side walls are so stiff.

I guess that's what's sort of confusing to me about this whole thing- how would they ride rougher with lower pressure?

Weight of these, per tirerack.com, is 54lbs each.

Last edited:

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Step 1: get said duratracs

step 2: Trade me for my BFJ KM Muds for your duratracs mine are load range D :D.
In all honesty, I think you will be fine. Definitely air down off road though if you can. It is bone jarring if you don't!

That's what I'm leaning towards- buying them.

He's asking $800 for the set of four with 1500 miles on them, originally purchased locally for $260/each.
I'm going to offer $700 and see what happens. I think I can get rid of them easily enough if I don't want them, but I doubt that will be the case.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
i'm in idaho...if you do wanna get rid of em and trade for some muds lemme know! GL with your offer, sounds like a win if you are able to grab them

downhill

Adventurer
All I've run for years are E rated tires. The biggest mistake people make is thinking they require more pressure than any other tire. The E rating just allows them to handle more air for heavier loads. The load, and to a lesser extent speed, determines the pressure, not the ply rating. Mine ride just fine. With a vehicle weight of 5300# I run 36 PSI. For sustained highway I run 40#. Highway plus a load = 45 to 50 depending on load. Offroad for general purpose I run 15 to 18 PSI. They track better, steer better, and withstand more abuse offroad. The only downside is increased weight, but I run 235/85-16 so the extra weight is not an issue. A bigger tire in an E could degrade the ride from the higher unsprung weight. It's not the stiffness of the sidewall.

Applejack

Explorer
You won't be disappointed I have the 265/75 E Duratracs on my 99 4RNR and I love 'em! The ride is no worse than that of my old D rated Nitto TG's, but a tad noisier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles