Manual locking hubs onto a T-100

PoindexterS

Anyone know of some manual locking hubs for a 97 T100? With gas like it is with no end in sight I feel like I could gain a mile or two per gallon if I could stop the front end from turning all of the time. It would have to help some to stop the cv axles from turning all of the time. Thak you for any advise and help!

G100

Adventurer
Pretty ironic you post this today, I just put some on mine this weekend, going to post some pics on my build thread tonight. Anyway you need a 26 spline, I think aisins are the best, but I found some warns on craigslist off of a 4runner, guy was switching to a soild axel. Must say, its only been a few days but i haven't noticed much of a difference in gas milage.

Trail100

Observer
The pickup Aisins do work, I pulled mine (when I had IFS) from a local wrecking yard for $40. Easy to do with basic tools, don't even have to take the wheels off. Never noticed any mileage difference though.

trump

Adventurist
The pickup Aisins do work, I pulled mine (when I had IFS) from a local wrecking yard for $40. Easy to do with basic tools, don't even have to take the wheels off. Never noticed any mileage difference though.

How did that work? You didn't have to change the spindles and CV's? Also, by "pickup" you mean Tacoma, right?

MotoDave

Explorer
I've got toyota pickup Aisin manual hubs on my T100, was a simple bolt on replacement for the stock drive plates. I added a 1.5" ball joint spacer lift and didn't want the axles turning all the time with the increased CV angle. I really doubt you will see a significant different in mileage, but they are a worthwhile upgrade none the less.

I found this write up useful for rebuilding the used hubs before installation http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyot...ng-aisin-locking-hub-locking-hub-rebuild.html

PoindexterS

Thanks!

Wow sounds like a project to tackle soon. I just dont see how it could not save some gas money, any savings would be worth doing the swap-over. Sounds fairly cheep to do this. Thanks again.................

PoindexterS

I did it!

:wings:I ordered some Mile Marker manual hubs from Summit Racing and they came in yesterday. I installed them in about one hour. Super easy to do, they look cool also. They lock and unlock just like they should. I has to save some MPGs not having all of that stuff turning while city and hwy driving. I will check next tank of gas. It seems like I can tell they are unlocked when driving around today in town. Steering seems smoother/looser feel on steering wheel. It may be all mental, but it seems different taking off and braking also??? I will see as time goes by. Toyota T100 all clened up 009.jpgToyota T100 all clened up 011.jpgToyota T100 all clened up 012.jpg

SC T100

Adventurer
I've got a set of pickup/4runner Aisin hubs on my T100. You're right about the steering feel...it is a bit lighter. I did not notice a change in my gas mileage with them on. I simply wanted to reduce the wear and tear on my front driveline. I'm interested to see if it affects the mileage on a more built rig. The biggest change in mileage for me was new plugs, cleaning the MAF and TB, and keeping it around 60 when possible (70+ drops the mileage by 2 or 3 points).

PoindexterS

They work! MPGs increased!

Ok, I did my Mile Marker manual hubs two weekends ago and I am proud to report I have seen a fairly significant increase in fuel economy. First full tank of fuel (mid grade) run trhough tank and I went from a previous average of 16.5 mpg to a whopping 18.3 mpg Thats a 1.8 mpg increase! That was at hwy speeds of 73-74 mph. Also first leg of trip was 110 miles and into a strong (20-25mph) head-wind.
I have also noticed a much reduced and easier feel on the steering wheel when turning and city driving. Previously driving the same speed (hwy 70-75mph) my cruise control would down-shift or unlock the torque conv in overdrive on every single little hill or incline, it would also do this sometimes going into strong head-winds. Now it holds in overdrive locked up torq conv possition and rarely unlocks or down-shifts and this is only on some of the longer or steeper inclines. Remember I live in west Texas and work in eastern New Mexico so hills are few and far between! So overall I can say the hubs will pay for themselves quickly and there IS a significant reduction in rolling resistance when hubs are unlocked and nothing is turning up front except wheels and rotors! YAY for this mod!!! :wings:

Caoboy

Adventurer
next full tank stick with 60-65 on the hwy and the speed limit on the streets. You waste the most gas accelerating. Learn to drive as smooth as possible. I increased my dd by 4mpg doing this. The hubs unlocking might not make a difference. You'd have to establish a baseline with the hubs locked over a few tanks, then unlock and run a few tanks. This would get rid of 'driver error' as things like more hwy driving, driving times, weather, all effect your overall mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles