Please help me pick my '04 Taco overland OME kit

bnapier

Everyone,

HELP!
I’m looking for help in picking the correct Old Man Emu setup for my Tacoma. I’ve searched the forums here and other places and have not found the info that I need.

I know that I want an OME setup for suspension. I don’t want adjustable coilovers, I’m going to use the full, non-adjustable OME setup. I’m using the Dakar leaf pack in the rear with or without the added leaf.

I’m using the Nitrocharger shocks, but I need help picking the coils. I’ve called around to various places to figure out what I need and after long discussion with each vendor I’ve gotten different advice from:

Wheeler’s offroad: 881 coils with a 5mm spacer and a normal Dakar pack (if needed, add a leaf later)

Slee offroad: 882 coils and a normal Dakar pack (if needed, add a leaf later)

4x4parts.com:
881 coils WITHOUT a spacer and a normal Dakar pack (likely not need a leaf)

toytec lifts:
881 coils WITHOUT a spacer and normal Dakar pack (likely not need a leaf)

A little about my setup:

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 extended cab, V6, auto. I have an ARB bumper, sliders, a topper, and rear bumper that weighs about 90 pounds. I will soon have a Warn m8000 winch with normal cable (no synthetic for now). Otherwise, I plan on keeping the truck stock (no re-gearing, etc.)

The truck is used for Colorado back country trails and no rock crawling. My new tires will be BFG All-Terrain T/A in either 265/70/16 or 265/75/16. I would prefer to keep my MPG reasonable as I will be driving lots of miles to the trails. Finally, I would prefer not need a differential drop as I will be looking for less than 3 inches of total lift.

Anyone out there with the same truck and mods???

Any suggestions??

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Welcome to the forum. Based on your description above this is what you need...

2 x OME 882 Front Coil Springs
2 x CS046R Rear Leaf Springs
2 x OME N91S Shocks
2 x OME N85 Shocks
2 x OME SB43 Bushing Kit
1 x OME GS12 Shackle Kit

I recommend adding the 5mm spacer for the left front shock assembly to help counter "Taco lean." Most of the heaviest vehicle components are on the left - driver, battery, fuel.

My 2001 Excab sported this suspension for several years before I did a SAC. Good luck.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Welcome to the forum. Based on your description above this is what you need...

I'll see your recommendation and raise you :D

1 - OME 2882 Front Coil Springs (only sold as pair now, ie 1 x 2882 = 2 x 882)
2 - 90004 Front Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber (These are the new Nitrocharger Sport shocks that have replaced the N91 series)
2 - OME Dakar CS046R A/B Rear Leaf8Springs
2 - 60062 Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber (same as above, replaced the N85)
2 - SB88 Poly Spring Bushing Kits (correct bush for the Gen 1 Tacoma w/GS12)
1 - OMEGS12 Greasable Rear Shackle Kit
1 - FK21 Exhaust Bracket
4 - U-bolts (you should always replace with a new install not to mention your stockers are likely too short)
2 - Rear spring bolt (50% of the time these are seized on trucks in wet climates, for the few dollars its wise to have on hand at install)

That is a basically what I'm running on my '04 DC (though I have additional trim spacers in the front and the AAL in the rear to accommodate my weight). I ran the exact suspension as above in my '96 X-Cab for many years and have set up countless customers with that setup over the years.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist

That is a basically what I'm running on my '04 DC (though I have additional trim spacers in the front and the AAL in the rear to accommodate my weight). I ran the exact suspension as above in my '96 X-Cab for many years and have set up countless customers with that setup over the years.

Thanks Kurt... as you can see, it's been a few years.

But OP, you've selected a reliable suspension that will give you years of trouble-free service.

2scars

Adventurer
well...

I have recently installed the 811 in the front of my 2.7 ext cab and I have about 2 inches with the TG front tube bumper and buds skid plate. The two of those weigh in together around 130 lbs. I will be adding a 10mm coil spacer and see where that leaves me, I would like around 2.5 inches. I can't recommend the 881s for your needs/ weight.

bnapier

Thanks!!

It may be a few months before the Warn M8000 winch will show up due to cash issues.

Slee was concerned that if I ran the 882 coils without the winch, then my truck would ride too high and it would be very difficult to align.

Do I need to wait for the cash flow and do it all at once or can I safely do the OME suspension now?? My stock TRD suspension is showing the weight, but does not seem to be dangerous (yet).

Maybe you can educate me: the Warn winch with cable weighs about 85lbs. I know it will sit out front in front of the front wheels in the ARB bumper so that will make some difference, but it's only about 2% of the total vehicle weight! Could that little amount of weight really change the height so much to screw up the alignment?

Lastly, the ARB website lists the "heavy load" springs as the 881 springs for vehicles with 110-220 of additional weight. My ARB bumper=75 lbs, winch=85 lbs, with a total of 160lbs (per Slee, sliders don't count when picking springs).

Does the v6/extended cab weight require the 882 springs??? You all are clearly know what I need, but I want to do this once and do everything correctly.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Run the 882s as you have planned for your truck configuration. Everyone with 881s I knew regretted not having done it with the weight of the bumper and winch.

upcountry

Explorer
Run the 882s as you have planned for your truck configuration. Everyone with 881s I knew regretted not having done it with the weight of the bumper and winch.

Or as TangoBlue will tell you, just go with the SAC...."You know you want to" !!!!!

Box Rocket

1 - OME 2882 Front Coil Springs (only sold as pair now, ie 1 x 2882 = 2 x 882)
2 - 90004 Front Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber (These are the new Nitrocharger Sport shocks that have replaced the N91 series)
2 - OME Dakar CS046R A/B Rear Leaf8Springs
2 - 60062 Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorber (same as above, replaced the N85)
2 - SB88 Poly Spring Bushing Kits (correct bush for the Gen 1 Tacoma w/GS12)
1 - OMEGS12 Greasable Rear Shackle Kit
1 - FK21 Exhaust Bracket
4 - U-bolts (you should always replace with a new install not to mention your stockers are likely too short)
2 - Rear spring bolt (50% of the time these are seized on trucks in wet climates, for the few dollars its wise to have on hand at install)

That's what I have too with a few changes that include the same trim packers and AAL that Kurt has along with All Pro 1.5" shackles in the rear. Love this set up. More importantly, Kurt is the one to buy it from as far as I'm concerned. Nothing against the other vendors, but Cruiser Outfitters has great prices and without question the best customer service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles