Weight of a 2nd gen Tacoma Composite Bed?

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know this number??? Has anyone removed their bed?
Planning on ordering a Ute bed...Ute ltd says their bed will weigh about 250 lbs...
I am guessing my composite bed @200???

upcountry

Explorer
Good question. I know it is not very heavy - after I took off my bumper, tow package, and spare tire the rear end felt REALLY loose (traction). I drove it that way for a few days before adding my new swingate bumper. I cant imagine it weights more than 200#s.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
Remember that with the ute bed, you're not only replacing the bed, but also the exterior metal sides, trim, and bumper too...not just the composite bed. I'd be willing to bet that the ute bed is a bit lighter than the stock configuration.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Yeah I was trying to figure out total weight with body panels and all...Ute says the factory bumper stays on...below the aluminum flatbed and attached taillights...

zolo

Explorer
I removed mine and flat beded my 06. The stock bed weighs less than 250. I was able to lift the thing with 2 folks very easy. Could have picked it up myself but its just awkward in size.

I have a build thread if you want to check out what I ended up with.

zolo

Explorer
Also the bumpers are differnt between the tow package model and standerd model. There is a weight difference there big time!!

zolo

Explorer
Are you trying to decide what springs to run in the back for the extra weight? The UTE bed will be heavier than the factory bed.

Also what does UTE recommend for relocating the facory fuel filler? I have had to fab an all new one for my Ute bed.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I am trying to figure out loss of payload...??? or gain...but am figuring on loss...As everyone knows the tacoma has a pee pitiful payload...especially the double cab. I think it is around 1200 lbs or so.
I am going to put on the UTE bed and see if I can swing a flatbed finch FWC or similar.
As far as fuel filler relocation I have not gotten past price and shipping with the Ute people. I am planning on the install myself so will need clarification on that.

Last edited:

zolo

Explorer
ahh I see, that will be a very cool set up if it works out.

Let us know what happens. Also let me know what UTE beds recommends for the fuel filler relocation.
Thanks Daniel

Flagster

Expedition Leader
It may fizzle out after putting the bed on but I figure I will still have a very useful truck with the flatbed...love how your build turned out BTW...
Ute recommends a 5ft9inch bed on the tacoma double cab short bed which is about 9 inches longer than the stock bed...would be about even with the end of the stock bumper...turns out they have to modify one of their standard beds and cut it down in length to make it work...
I haven't seen many flatbed builds on tacoma so thought WTH...was told a finch shell weights around 600 lbs...???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne