faded paint on 99 taco

colotaco

Adventurer
anyone have any suggestions on what to do with faded red paint on my Tacoma, I've tried the rubbing compound and it works for a little while. Thinking about having it painted white but don't want to bust the bank, any thoughts on out of the box paint, flat colors, rhino lined?

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Have you tried taking it to (or doing it yourself) a place that details cars? They can polish the paint with a variable speed buffer which should last much longer than just hand rubbing with compound. I had my entire truck detailed in side and out for $200 last year. Paint looked great afterwards.

colotaco

Adventurer
anyone have any suggestions on what to do with faded red paint on my Tacoma, I've tried the rubbing compound and it works for a little while. Thinking about having it painted white but don't want to bust the bank, any thoughts on out of the box paint, flat colors, rhino lined?

In response to the posts already, the paint is faded over the entire truck beyond the level where it will hold a shine. I was looking for "out of the box" suggestions on what to do from here. I would love to paint it white, but a good paint job would probably cost $3k or more. Does anybody know of another solution i.e. cheaper?

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I know you say it won't hold a shine, but...

I had an '85 toyota with the red paint that always wanted to fade. You can't just hand rub on some compound or wax and expect it to hold a shine. The paint needs to be polished with a buffer and the proper compound material. It will hold a shine once you get that done. I think for just doing the outside a detail shop would charge about $125 maybe.

It's at least worth a try and much cheaper than 3k for a paint job, or even 500 for a cheapy paint job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles