Question About Scan Gauge Accuracy

upcountry

Explorer
I have seen a lot of mention about using a Scan Gauge for fuel efficiency monitorring (amoung other uses).

My question is related to accuracy:

1)For those who have used a scan gauge and are running larger than facotry tires and/or have re-geared, how did you adjust the calibratrion to accomodate for the change in tire size or gear ratio?

2)Does the Scan Gauge rely on the data provided by the factory equipment to produce MPG and other readings?

3)Is there an easy fix to restore accuracy of factory equipment (odomoter/speedometer) after gearing/tire changes?

Any thoughts on this welcome.

Thanks!

99runner

I have been running the scanguage for about 6 months now. You adjust your speed indication by matching it with a GPS or other known speed. When I drive long distance i check the trip on the scanguage against the trip on my GPS and it comes out right on. My understanding is it compares your fuel flow and your speed to come up with the MPG. The first few times I filled up I did the math on my own and the scanguage gave me the same numbers. In my experience it is quite accurate.

I don't know about the Tacoma's but on my 3rd Gen 4runner there is a gear in the sending unit that can be swapped out, but it is quite expensive to get an adjusted one.

fourfa

Observer
You can input a fudge factor for gearing (adjusting the Vehicle Speed Sensor input) and fuel volume (adjusting computed MPG). In my case, I kept a log for six months of fill-up volume from the pump vs reported on the scangauge. Over that six months I came up with a 11.4% average fuel adjustment. All this is in the manual:

http://www.scangauge.com/support/user-manuals/

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Not a scan gauge but my ultra gauge can be calibrated for both distance and MPG. I use my GPS to calibrate for distance and once the distance is corrected, then I correct for MPG. I double-check my MPG every other fill up or so to make sure it stays accurate.

BMThiker

SE Expedition Society
Yes, you calibrate your ScanGauge every time you fill up on fuel. If you don't fill your tank to full every time, then it makes it difficult to calibrate it as it was designed. You push the Home key, then go to More > Fill Up, then adjust how much gas you actually put in the tank to fill it and it will show you how far off your calibration is (by %age). Hit Done and go back to your Home/Gauge screen. The more you do this, the more accurate your MPG readings will be.

You will need to perform the setup properly for Gas Tank size and Speed differential (to account for tire size/regearing) for this to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles