Mild Overland suspension set up suggestions

TacoDumpling

I'll be honest, my Tacoma won't see much of (what I consider) rock crawling I see on this site. Mine will see more of dirt roads, mild trails, but mostly, on-road (to travel to camp/hunt/fishing destinations). But what I'd like to do is, first, improve the ride quality and lift it maybe 1-2". My current tires are 31 MT's, but may move to 32's in the future.

Anyway, my first option is to go Bilstein 5100's all around. Leave the front springs in place (with the shock notch at middle position to level out the truck), and get a set of Wheeler's 4 or 5-pack leafs.

Second option is to go OME. Only concern is, the Dakar springs have a 3" lift, which I do not want. Maybe I'll just stick with Wheeler's for the rear leafs.

What I'd like to know is, how is the ride quality with the above set ups? Current stock suspension is not smooth. I'm hoping the above suspension upgrades will soften up the ride. Just trying to figure out which set up I should go with. Thanks for any input.

00 Tacoma, V6 TRD 4WD.

steve103

Observer
ome is the way to go, you will love the dakars. no more bottom out. but you will be happier if you keep some weight it the bed all the time,75-100lbs. great on the roads perfect on the trail. my 2c.

2scars

Adventurer
Dakars

Are rated at a 2.25" rear lift on 1st Tacos. They may start at 3", but will settle out a little flatter and give a well suspended, yet comfortable ride. 881s and OME struts and that would round out a good system for a mild lift, upgraded suspension.

After a little searching you will find all the info you need to develop your own idea of what exactly you need for your purposes. don't hesitate to call some vendors either, they are not only in the business of selling the gear, but typically run, or have run, many of the setups they sell. They will be able to inform you well.

upcountry

Explorer
X2 on OME for the type of driving you identified. I'm no expert, but I have OME and like the ride. Plus, it's a little easier on the wallet.

WASURF63

Adventurer
X2 on OME for the type of driving you identified. I'm no expert, but I have OME and like the ride. Plus, it's a little easier on the wallet.

What he said. I've also run the full OME set up on two previous Tacoma trucks. You'll be happy with it.
BTW welcome to ExPo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles