PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Expedition Tacoma Build in Progress

devortex
03-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Very pleased with the progress of my truck to date. Still more to come but I'm managed to get much of the major work accomplished recently. Building the truck to handle extended off-highway touring, I'm not a rock climber but I want to be prepared to handle most situations so that I can continue forward on my treks. Here's the specs:

2012 Tacoma Double Cab - Off Road

Suspension - Icon adjustable coil overs with Icon UCAs up front, OME rear leaves with Icon reservoir shocks in the rear.

Tires - BF Goodrich KM2 255/85R16

Armor - Demello front bumper and hybrid sliders

Recovery - Warn M8000 winch, Hi-Lift, Axe/Shovel, full recovery kit

Racks - Bajarack roof rack, Rocky Mounts bike fork mounts, Thule bed rack (still sitting in my garage)

Coming Soon:
IPF lights for the front
Rear flood light
Roof top tent to mount on Thule over bed (want something aerodynamic and am leaning toward the Autohome Columbus but :Wow1: the $$$$$)
Fridge with removable rear seat platform
Fuel rack for the bed
Air compressor
Lots of small 'creature' comfort upgrades

Today I'll be working on the spare tire area to allow for the 255/85R16 KM2 to fit under the rear. I test fitted it yesterday and I think it'll go if I 'relieve' the exhaust hanger on the right and flatten out the two stanchions that centered the stock size tire. I may need to come up with a manner to hold it tight to the rear (at the hitch mount) so that there is adequate clearance to allow full articulation of the rear axle.

I'm anxious to get out for a trail test but my work schedule is hectic until mid-April. More to come as I continue the process. Here's a couple shots of the current set-up along with one after the suspension but still on stock tires. I'll update the thread with build photos later.

enzo
03-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Looking good so far.

dorton
03-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Looks good!

highspeed
03-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Looks sweet! Tell me, have you had any of the drive line noise that others have complained about now that you have a lift?

DblD
03-11-2012, 07:49 PM
LOOKING GOOD!

Question about front mud flap clearance. Are you having any rubbing issues with your 255ís at full lock or while front suspension is compressed?

Thanks,
dd

Doc Foster
03-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Looking nice so far. I too have a 2012 and have been looking at winch bumpers. Did Demello come out with a 2012 front bumper, or is that their 2005-2011 bumper? It looks like it is a pretty good fit, though a bit of gap below the center grill, though it might be the camera angle. The BajaRack looks good as well. Keep us all posted with plenty of pics.

devortex
03-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Looks sweet! Tell me, have you had any of the drive line noise that others have complained about now that you have a lift?

Funny thing here...my last rig was an FJ60 with a Vortec/4L60E combo and I chased various vibrations and noises consistently. I figured a brand new Toyota would have no noises/vibrations from the driveline but even stock off the lot there were a few speeds where I felt/heard minor resonance from the driveline. I test drove several trucks, both auto and manual, and discovered the same thing. With the lift, I noticed that some of the resonance (I hesitate to call it vibration because it is so minor) occurs at different speeds than stock. Adding the KM2s increased it very minimally at a few speeds but then I may be confusing that with tread noise.

LOOKING GOOD!

Question about front mud flap clearance. Are you having any rubbing issues with your 255ís at full lock or while front suspension is compressed?

Thanks,
dd

No rub at all with normal driving/ u-turns/ backing up with full lock. I haven't had the chance to really articulate the suspension so the verdict is still out on rubbing at heavy compression.

Looking nice so far. I too have a 2012 and have been looking at winch bumpers. Did Demello come out with a 2012 front bumper, or is that their 2005-2011 bumper? It looks like it is a pretty good fit, though a bit of gap below the center grill, though it might be the camera angle. The BajaRack looks good as well. Keep us all posted with plenty of pics.

The Demello bumper is essentially a modified 05-11 bumper. There are a few gaps but the trim on the '12 truck is so uneven. My initial preference would have been ARB but who knows how long it'll be before they build them for what they perceive to be a small market (tell me again why we don't get the Hilux in NA?) Beyond the ARB, the only small shop that I felt made a strong enough (strength vs. weight) bumper is Demello. The build quality is top notch but I would be happier if it fit the body lines a little better.

NM-Frontier
03-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Great looking rig! Let us know how you fit the 255 in the stock spare location, that's been one thing holding me back from going up to those over my 265s.

Plannerman
03-12-2012, 09:48 PM
I love the Demello products (have their sliders). Did you happen to weigh that front bumper? I'd love to know, if so.

mvbeggs
03-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I also have a '12 that is in the process of being built up. I'm curious how the 255's have affected your gas mileage. How have you corrected the speedo and odometer for the larger tire size?

Rig looks good. I like that front bumper.
I went with Relentless Fabrication for my body protection. (front Al bumper, steel plate rear, steel hybrid sliders) Parts should arrive late May to early June. (loooong lead time on those parts)

sn0wspyder
03-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Looks good so far... excited to see this build.

Cheers

devortex
03-15-2012, 06:15 AM
Great looking rig! Let us know how you fit the 255 in the stock spare location, that's been one thing holding me back from going up to those over my 265s.

Didn't get a chance to work on the spare location yet. Hopefully this Saturday.

I love the Demello products (have their sliders). Did you happen to weigh that front bumper? I'd love to know, if so.

I'm guessing around 70-75 pounds. I was able to man-handle it pretty well myself and my daughter helped me line it up with the winch in place for mounting.

I also have a '12 that is in the process of being built up. I'm curious how the 255's have affected your gas mileage. How have you corrected the speedo and odometer for the larger tire size?

Rig looks good. I like that front bumper.
I went with Relentless Fabrication for my body protection. (front Al bumper, steel plate rear, steel hybrid sliders) Parts should arrive late May to early June. (loooong lead time on those parts)

I'm doing a mileage study right now. I'm stuck with a fairly long but consistent temporary commute so I'm using the Taco with the new tires to see how my freeway mileage has changed. I'm also leaving my Hi-lift, axe and shovel and a couple hundred pounds of junk in the bed to simulate a loaded condition when I head out on a trip. I want to see if I can pull 400 miles out of a tank. I haven't corrected the speedo, might not unless it really bothers me. I just did a quick calc to see where 50, 65 and 70 mph come in on the speedo now. I'll post up numbers after a few weeks of solid freeway, then I'll look at mixed town/ freeway/ trail.

Cytocycle
03-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Nice setup! I just put money down on an '12 taco double TRD 4x4 offroad. I am looking to do similar mods as you have done but am cashed strapped for a little while. I was wondering if I could fit those 255/85/16 on my truck without doing a lift ? As I could sell off my brand new tires when I get the truck to get a better resale. thx Chris

upcountry
03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Really nice truck! Like the front bumper and other choices.

Today I'll be working on the spare tire area to allow for the 255/85R16 KM2 to fit under the rear. I test fitted it yesterday and I think it'll go if I 'relieve' the exhaust hanger on the right and flatten out the two stanchions that centered the stock size tire. I may need to come up with a manner to hold it tight to the rear (at the hitch mount) so that there is adequate clearance to allow full articulation of the rear axle.

This is exactly the issue I faced when I went to bigger tires. I cut off the tabs that held the tire in place, but the 33" tire was still too big and rubbed on the diff cap at articulation. I ended up going with a smaller tire and used a ratchet tie-down cut to size to pull the tire back against the tow receiver.

Here is how I had mine pulled back against the towing receiver:

If you dont have a towing package, this may not be a problem for you.

Another alternative is some sort of air system and keep the spare stored aired down.

I am running Wild Country XTX 285-70-17s on 17" American Racing Mojave wheels with 4.5 inches of backspace. My biggest challenge was finding a comparable tire to keep under the truck in the spare position that had a close diameter (the tires I am running have an overall diameter of 32.8"). I cant keep the spare in the back like some people do as I commonly use the back for camping equipment for my family - I have a camper shell on the back.

I tried several different tires and found that a TOYO M55 235-85-16 was the best of all worlds (http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/m-55). My reason was this tire is narrow enough not to hang down, and is narrow enough not to get hung up on the UCA when running in the front position, it is 32" in diameter, close to the 32.8 of the other 4 tires. If fits nicely. I honestly feel this is the tallest, narrowest, tire that will fit under the back while still maintaining rear axle articulation and clearance (wider tires hang down too much). But, as previsously stated if you dont have a towing package, this may not be an issue as there is more space back there becuase the towing receiver is not in the way of the tire.

But, this is all moot now since I have a full size 285/75/16 mounted on a rear swing gate bumper, as shown below:

A couple of other suggestions on the build (you probably already were planning these, but did not see them listed):

1) Extended length bumpstops for the front (wheelers has some good ones - many others on the market)

2) Extended stainless braided brake lines (these also really helped the effective pedal play in the brake system = better braking force)

3) Rear Diff breather relocate

Keep the pics comming!!!!!!!

mvbeggs
03-16-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm doing a mileage study right now. I'm stuck with a fairly long but consistent temporary commute so I'm using the Taco with the new tires to see how my freeway mileage has changed. I'm also leaving my Hi-lift, axe and shovel and a couple hundred pounds of junk in the bed to simulate a loaded condition when I head out on a trip. I want to see if I can pull 400 miles out of a tank....

400 miles per tank!?? Really!!? I'm running stock (auto tranny) and have gotten no where near 400 miles per tank. (currently averaging 248 miles between fill ups, largest fillup to date is 16.1 gallons...gotta love those Iphone apps :)) My average gas mileage for 1970 miles of mixed city and highway is right at 17.8mpg. I drive about 60% highway, 40% city.

... I haven't corrected the speedo, might not unless it really bothers me. I just did a quick calc to see where 50, 65 and 70 mph come in on the speedo now. I'll post up numbers after a few weeks of solid freeway, then I'll look at mixed town/ freeway/ trail.

How are you determining actual miles driven between fillups? It appears the odometer, and consequently the gas mileage, is going to be off ~ 8% running the larger tires.

devortex
03-16-2012, 04:06 AM
I was getting about 21.4 mpg in careful freeway driving before the suspension and tire upgrades, using cruise control on the flat and not stabbing it on the hills. At $4.59 a gallon in my area, I'm not in a hurry to fill up or get anywhere!! Also, when the gas pump shuts off, you've still got about another 1-1.5 gallons to go. Let it breathe for a few seconds and then fill slow, you can squeeze a lot more gas in there!! I ran with the fuel light on for about 35 miles and still only managed to 19.2 gallons into a 21 gallon tank. Currently I'm driving a preset exact number of miles a day to/from work and I know exactly how many miles a few of my local trips are so I can easily calculate my total miles per tank even with the speedo/odo discrepancy.

Carnitas_Taco
03-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Looking great!! Two weeks ago I picked up my new 2012 Tacoma TRD Offroad.....and I'm loving it! Keep the pictures and status reports coming...

montypower
03-16-2012, 06:26 AM
A couple of other suggestions on the build (you probably already were planning these, but did not see them listed):

1) Extended length bumpstops for the front (wheelers has some good ones - many others on the market)

I'm curious. Why do you want the extended bump stops? Is it to help limit tire rubbing? It seems that retaining maximum suspension travel and doing trimming would make better sense.

upcountry
03-16-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm curious. Why do you want the extended bump stops? Is it to help limit tire rubbing? It seems that retaining maximum suspension travel and doing trimming would make better sense.

I dont want to hi-jack this great build thread, so I will keep a response breif, we can debate the benefits of extended lenght bumps on another thread.

To respond, in my own little world, bumpstops play a certain role in a suspension system that:

1)Prevent over compression of the spring and dampener preventing damage and premature wear even preventing the coil from warping and becomming unseated in the strut assembly (an example of the bottom of a coil warping is in forum member "TheJosh" thread not sure this is the result of strut compression but it gets my point across and his build is somewhat amazing and fun to look at).

2)Help tune the up-travel of the suspension to the optimal length.

3)Helping maintain ride quality and vehicle flex by contolling the force of bottoming out the suspension at full compression (most aftermarket bumps use a better material than stockers).

To be sure I have no experience with ICONs strut setup, but in most cases just because you are adding 3 inches of lift through an adjustable coilover strut does not mean you are adding 3 inches of wheel travel in addition to the stock setup wheel travel, especially in an adjustable coilover strut like the ICON setup where the dampener travel needs to match the minimum and maximum travel setting. I have not seen the numbers on the ICON coilover strut full compression lenght, but it is probable that the full compression lenght is still longer than the factory Billstein full compression lenght. If the ICON strut, when fully compressed, is longer than the factory strut, when fully compressed, then the suspension will bottom out on the strut and not the bumpstop causing damage to the strut.

Other issues from over-cycling the suspension include contact with the sway bar, contact witht he CV shaft or boot, contact with the brake hose, etc..... these can all be prevented by properly tuning the suspension to the optimal compression lenght and using a bumpstop material that is designed to help dampen the bottoming of the suspension on full compression.

That's My $0.02 on why extended bumpstops are needed.

Happy to respectfully debate the issue more on another seperate thread.

devortex
03-23-2012, 04:17 AM
Well, crappy weather and extra hours at work have killed any chance to work on the truck in the last few weeks. I have, however, been able to do a little fuel mileage analysis. 3 tanks of freeway driving have yielded exactly 20.0 mpg (figure already adjusted for incorrect odometer reading from oversize tires). That's setting the cruise at 65 (61 indicated on the speedo) most of the time, no stoplight racing but does include sitting in some fairly heavy traffic most days. Tooling along in the slow lane gets me some looks but I just laugh it off and pretend they're checking out my cool truck!! 92710

mvbeggs
03-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Well, crappy weather and extra hours at work have killed any chance to work on the truck in the last few weeks. I have, however, been able to do a little fuel mileage analysis. 3 tanks of freeway driving have yielded exactly 20.0 mpg (figure already adjusted for incorrect odometer reading from oversize tires). That's setting the cruise at 65 (61 indicated on the speedo) most of the time, no stoplight racing but does include sitting in some fairly heavy traffic most days. Tooling along in the slow lane gets me some looks but I just laugh it off and pretend they're checking out my cool truck!!

Wow, that's good. I haven't been able to break the 19mpg ceiling in my stock 2012 DC. Currently have about 2400 miles on the odometer. Here's to hoping my numbers will improve.

devortex
03-27-2012, 06:14 AM
I had a chance to work on a few things yesterday and again this evening. Mr. Brown dropped off some promising looking packages over the last few days so I was getting excited.

First up was a pair of IPF 900XSD lights. I had an old credit with ARB for some damaged parts I got from them a long time ago. I figured that some lights on top of the winch bumper would be useful (and look cool). My credit was enough to get a pair of the plastic 968 7" round lights so I ordered a pair....out of stock. The helpful dude at ARB offered me a set of the 900XSD lights instead...no extra charge. No problem, send them right out!! Steel body, submersible, almost color match my truck, love them!! As with all the IPF lights I've ever had, easy wiring harnesses, simple install.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-25_15-01-35_501.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-25_16-50-09_904.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-25_16-52-23_169.jpg

devortex
03-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Then on to the spare tire issue. I flattened out the two mount guides with a 5 pound persuader. Then I gently tweaked the exhaust tailpipe hanger about 3/4" out. This gave enough room for the tire to fit up into place but it wanted to center and just barely came in line with the differential pumpkin. I lowered it a bit and then used an old tie-down to hold it back against the tow bar bracket. With this, there is about 1" clearance from the diff and it should allow full articulation. I'm going to try this in some off road type situations to see if it stays clear of the diff. If so, I'll find a nicer and more secure way to hold it tight at the rear as it's cranked up into position.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-26_19-12-57_671.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-26_19-34-33_888.jpg

devortex
03-27-2012, 06:27 AM
I had to take a drive out to Kern County today to see some wind and solar generation sites. Had a nice time tooling along the dirt access roads. Wish I wasn't working because I saw some really cool trails heading up into the Tehachapis. Damn work...gets in the way of fun every time!! :safari-rig:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-26_12-37-34_29.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-26_12-36-18_972.jpg

devortex
03-27-2012, 06:34 AM
This evening I mounted the Thule Xsporter bed rack. Easy to install, beautiful build quality. I need to trim the front legs so that I can lower it one more notch so that the roof top tent can ride flush with the top of the cab. Sometimes I'll leave it in the high position so that I can mount two bikes on my Rocky Mounts bike fork mounts that I have on the front rail. When I initially bought the rack, I figured I would cut down the cross bars to be exactly the width of the bed. Now I'm reconsidering. Quick measurements this evening indicate that I should be able to mount an awning, mount the tent slightly off center and still have room for surfboards on the other side! :wings:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-26_20-56-03_208.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-26_20-55-24_376.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-26_20-55-10_880.jpg

Danimal
03-28-2012, 03:53 AM
Love everything about your truck. You're not helping my attempt to keep my Tacoma stockish...

Dan

clcoyle
03-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Very nice build and write up.

Doc Foster
03-28-2012, 10:33 PM
"The Demello bumper is essentially a modified 05-11 bumper. There are a few gaps but the trim on the '12 truck is so uneven. My initial preference would have been ARB but who knows how long it'll be before they build them for what they perceive to be a small market (tell me again why we don't get the Hilux in NA?) Beyond the ARB, the only small shop that I felt made a strong enough (strength vs. weight) bumper is Demello. The build quality is top notch but I would be happier if it fit the body lines a little better.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you about the Demello and ARB bumpers. Can you be a bit more specific about what you had to modify on the 05-11 bumper? I am just trying to figure out if I want to with a Demello now or what for either Demello or ARB to finally produce a 2012 bumper. Once, definitely digging what you have done with your truck.

devortex
03-29-2012, 03:52 AM
Demello used my truck to fab up the bumper. He hadn't built a 2012 bumper so Jason test fitted an 05-11 bumper and then made some mods. I wasn't there when he did the cutting and shutting so I don't know exactly what he changed. I love the build quality and the fitment has actually grown on me quite a bit. Doesn't hurt when people stare and tell you that your truck looks cool!!

devortex
03-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Trimmed the front legs of the Thule rack tonight so that I could bring it down below the roof line. It looks like I can trim it further and still have good access to the bed but I'll wait to do this and see how I like it. I don't want to cut too much off now and regret it later.

I have my heart set on getting an Autohome Columbus RTT but I can't justify the expense ($2500+) right now (I'm already sinking a bundle into my truck) so I figured I'd use my old ground tent for a while. But then I came across a Trekking Oasis II tent (French made) locally that was still new in the box. These retailed for about $1000 but were discontinued a few years ago. Picked it up for less than half the new price. I'm pleasantly surprised. It appears to be really high quality, nice stitching, flawless mechanism, sturdy, and it is really quite comfortable (I took a nap in it on the garage floor over the weekend). The material and stitching seems nicer than many of the Chinese made ARB clones I've looked at. The best part...it weighs 40 pounds. I can lift it on and off the rack by myself and hang it on the garage wall if I want it off the truck for a while. It folds really flat and has a super tough travel cover that clips securely over it. It came with mounting hardware but the cross bars on the Thule Xsporter are too wide so I need to buy some larger diameter u-bolts. For test fitting, I mounted it using some old u-bolts that I had in my horse corral hardware box.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-28_21-23-06_86.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-28_21-23-44_210.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-28_22-17-52_856.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-28_22-18-53_31.jpg

enzo
03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
^ That's the same way I mounted my RTT, works great doesn't it? Your truck is coming along nicely.

mjohns2
03-30-2012, 02:25 AM
^ That's the same way I mounted my RTT, works great doesn't it? Your truck is coming along nicely.

Can you please tell me more about mounting a RTT this way. My concern is about 500 (Tent, 2 people, and 1 child that will basically want to move around like there's no tomorrow).

I'm assuming that the 422XT Workman Multi-Height Aluminum Truck Rack isn't bolted on, not that i want it to be, but do you think that it can handle more aggressive movement in the tent?

montypower
03-30-2012, 03:36 AM
I really like your roof rack. Is it big enough for a roof tent? Do you have the specs for it?

Saiyan66
03-30-2012, 03:46 AM
You are getting very good mileage for a lifted Tacoma on mud tires. That is good to hear. The bumper looks pretty good, you have to look hard to see the gaps between the grill and bumper. Think of it as better airflow to the radiator! I like the Thule rack on the back as well. Do you have plans to trim the extra length off the horizontal bars? Looks like they stick out past the uprights quite a ways.

devortex
03-30-2012, 03:57 AM
Can you please tell me more about mounting a RTT this way. My concern is about 500 (Tent, 2 people, and 1 child that will basically want to move around like there's no tomorrow).

I'm assuming that the 422XT Workman Multi-Height Aluminum Truck Rack isn't bolted on, not that i want it to be, but do you think that it can handle more aggressive movement in the tent?

The rack bolts to the side rails using Toyota specific mounting brackets sold by Thule. It is really solid and the framework of the tent actually adds to the rigidity. But, if you've never been in a rooftop tent before, you will have to get used to some movement from the truck suspension if you wiggle around a lot. You're 7-9 feet up in the air and the weight up that high does create some side to side sway.

I really like your roof rack. Is it big enough for a roof tent? Do you have the specs for it?

The Bajarack is rated at 200 lbs. Not designed to carry a tent, hence the addition of the Thule bed rack. http://www.bajarack.com/toyota-tacoma I will put stuff up there like my ground tarp, camp table & chairs, stove etc. Things that are fairly light but use up valuable space in the bed or back seat.

You are getting very good mileage for a lifted Tacoma on mud tires. That is good to hear. The bumper looks pretty good, you have to look hard to see the gaps between the grill and bumper. Think of it as better airflow to the radiator! I like the Thule rack on the back as well. Do you have plans to trim the extra length off the horizontal bars? Looks like they stick out past the uprights quite a ways.

Original plan was to trim the crossbars but now I'm thinking I might not because I can fit an awning, my tent and surfboards/ kayak. I'll try it like this for a while first and trim later if I find I'm not using the extra space.

devortex
04-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I was in Oceanside for a few days to compete in the Ironman California 70.3 triathlon. Couldn't resist some poser shots of the truck parked near the pier.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-03-30_16-30-44_920.jpg

My bikes fit perfectly with the Thule rack set one notch below the highest setting. I'm going to comb the McMaster Carr catalog to find some quick release buckles/mounts that I can use instead of u-bolts to mount the tent. If I can sort out something that snaps into place (perhaps with a locking latch) then I can have my tent securely mounted but remove it in a matter of minutes.

Side note: The bike portion of the triathlon wound though the hills of Camp Pendleton. I kept looking around at trail after trail, vista after vista, hill climb......DAMN! The Marines have made a huge playground all for themselves!!

rsbmg
04-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Wondering if you have taken your truck offroad at all? It appears in the photos your bumper is mounted way to high. You are trying to not have any gaps but you have to have a good 1/2 inch or more between your bumper and the fender or else your going to do some damage to your fenders. The bumper mounted to the frame will move independently of the fenders. To test his out for yourself put one wheel up on a curb and take a look at your bumper and fender clearance. Anyway just a suggestion.

devortex
04-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Yes, I have done some off roading and no, the bumper doesn't hit the fenders at flex. It doesn't show in the photos but there is about a finger width gap between them.

Wondering if you have taken your truck offroad at all? It appears in the photos your bumper is mounted way to high. You are trying to not have any gaps but you have to have a good 1/2 inch or more between your bumper and the fender or else your going to do some damage to your fenders. The bumper mounted to the frame will move independently of the fenders. To test his out for yourself put one wheel up on a curb and take a look at your bumper and fender clearance. Anyway just a suggestion.

devortex
04-19-2012, 04:43 AM
I mentioned in an earlier post that I wasn't very happy with the way the tent mounted with u-bolts. The manufacturer, Trekking, supplied u-bolts sized to mount the tent to a standard size roof rack crossbar. Since mine is mounted on the flat aero-bars of the Thule xSporter, I dug up some larger u-bolts and mounted it right up. While very secure, it looked ugly and before I had the time to trim the long ends off, I wound up giving myself a pretty good gouge in my shoulder while unloading some stuff from the bed :mad:
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-04-18_18-22-35_680.jpg

I spent some time browsing the McMaster-Carr online catalog and found these heavy duty pipe mounts and along with the correct Thule mounting hardware and some rubber hose to pad and reduce the chance for slippage, I think the new set-up turned out pretty slick. All of the mounting components are on the top side of the rack keeping the bottom side smooth so that there's nothing hanging down to catch yourself on.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-04-18_19-41-14_682.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-04-18_19-40-45_603.jpg

devortex
04-19-2012, 04:56 AM
Next up will be mounting the awning on the passenger side of the rack and sorting out fuel/ water can mounts.

On my FJ60, I built a dual swing rear bumper that held my spare and two fuel cans. That was based in necessity because I slept inside the truck, I carried two spare tires and I obviously didn't want fuel inside the rig. Now, with the Tacoma, I'm not convinced that I need the fancier rear bumper. Since I sleep up top and I can carry fuel in the bed, I want to figure out a mounting solution for fuel cans in the bed. If, at some point, I discover that I'm carrying enough gear in the bed that I don't have room for the fuel cans and a second spare, I'll build a bumper. So, for now, I need to sort out the position and a simple mounting solution. I'm thinking my water cans might just go up on the roof rack. I can easily stand on my sliders to reach the rack so hoisting the cans up there is not a big issue.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-04-18_20-08-07_575.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-04-18_20-08-40_631.jpg

sytfu510
04-20-2012, 06:08 AM
great looking rig. I made a tray to hold my water cans in the bed, going with a bumper mount for the fuel.

Maybe this can give you some ideas:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/sytfu_RR/Tacoma/IMG02479-20120410-2242.jpg

bcrez
04-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Ditto. Even with my ScanGaugeII I havnt got more than 19.5 MPG avg on a tank. I havnt even broke 300 without the light coming on. But I have a 2010.

400 miles per tank!?? Really!!? I'm running stock (auto tranny) and have gotten no where near 400 miles per tank. (currently averaging 248 miles between fill ups, largest fillup to date is 16.1 gallons...gotta love those Iphone apps :)) My average gas mileage for 1970 miles of mixed city and highway is right at 17.8mpg. I drive about 60% highway, 40% city.

How are you determining actual miles driven between fillups? It appears the odometer, and consequently the gas mileage, is going to be off ~ 8% running the larger tires.

devortex
04-22-2012, 02:54 AM
2 things to think about with the Tacoma gas mileage. I don't have experience with the 2011 and earlier but on my 2012, when the gas station pump shuts off, I can still get almost 2 more gallons in the tank if I fill slowly. This adds an extra 40 miles to a tank right away. 2nd thing; I drive like a grandpa on the freeway. My daily driver now is a 1997 Mercedes Benz E300 diesel. I stretch that thing to 37 mpg on the highway. I'm not in a hurry. 65mph max. Use cruise control a lot. Get out of OD on hills etc.

All of this being said, the more stuff I add to my truck and the more stuff I carry on the racks, the worse my mileage is. I carried surf boards and a bunch of beach stuff on the rack last weekend and only got 17mpg. But I was able to get an honest 21+mpg before the build started.

Detslider
04-22-2012, 12:44 PM
I've been known to add a little extra fuel after the pump clicks off but usually just to round up to the nearest gallon or quarter dollar.
Pumping an additional two full gallons and you run the risk of causing problems by flooding the vapor storage canister.
http://www.garage-pak.com/pat-goss-washington-post/1997-wp-hazards-at-the-gas-pump.html

devortex
04-22-2012, 03:00 PM
This is a great point and salient info about the hazards of over-filling. Probably a good time to quit the annoying habit of holding up the queue behind me at the gas station!

For those of you trying to get good gas mileage though, it really is possible to get over 21 mpg on a DC 4x4. Stock truck with careful driving habits. Even with my built truck, I am hoping to get north of 18mpg driving to the dirt, on the dirt is anyone's guess.

bcrez
04-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Well you've set a new benchmark for me. I will try my best, and with the help of the scan gauge hopefully I can see that avg/mpg go up.

devortex
05-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Managed to get a few little jobs done on the Taco in the past few days. Mounted my ARB awning to the Thule rack. Used some gusseted angle brackets that bolted right to the tracks on both the rack and the awning. I love these ARB awnings; inexpensive, easy to set up, fairly durable.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-05-06_14-26-42_286.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-05-06_14-30-46_473.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-05-06_14-31-06_84.jpg

Also mounted my old school mag light in the compartment behind the rear seat.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-04-29_18-58-27_307.jpg

devortex
05-10-2012, 06:51 AM
I've been tinkering around with mounts for my fuel and water cans. Wanted something that would secure them in the bed without a big spaghetti of tie downs. Also wanted a way to put them on the roof rack in the event that my bed was really full of gear. Came up with this idea using $10 worth of scrap metal. Fairly light weight, easily mounts in the bed or up on the BajaRack. One strap will keep the cans in place and a cable lock secures them from would be thieves. I think I'll pick up some rubber padding to line the inside of the top rails to reduce wear and tear from vibrations.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-05-09_21-24-10_16.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-05-09_21-23-34_492.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-05-09_21-28-31_961.jpg

Ghillie_Ohio
05-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Great build . I have similar interest . I will eventually go with a custom rack . Nice to have a pic of the thule rack . Planning to have two sea kayak rest on top of RTT and then have the kayak rest on custom attachments while sleeping . Don't want someone walking off with my sea kayaks at night. You might look into removing the front wheel of your bicycle and attaching the bike to the bed , so that you can lower the rack a few inches . Gas mileage is critical for me.

Containerized
05-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Just a warning... the 255/85R16 KM2 has now vanished off TireRack's website.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM2&sidewall=Raised White Letters&partnum=585QR6KM2RWLV2&tab=Sizes

I'm hoping they are not ceasing production of this size, as it's a good size for overlanding and offers a narrower 33" option for those not able to run 285/75R16.

Thoughts?

devortex
05-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Just looked on Tire Rack and BFG's own website and according to both, this tire is still an active product. Not sure what you were finding.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM2&partnum=585QR6KM2RWLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/size/ltmetric/255/85/16/OE/BNW/mud-terrain-t-a-km2/tire-details

Just a warning... the 255/85R16 KM2 has now vanished off TireRack's website.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM2&sidewall=Raised White Letters&partnum=585QR6KM2RWLV2&tab=Sizes

I'm hoping they are not ceasing production of this size, as it's a good size for overlanding and offers a narrower 33" option for those not able to run 285/75R16.

Thoughts?

Containerized
05-10-2012, 11:01 PM
devortex - Good research there. Apologies for the false alarm... :-/

devortex
05-23-2012, 02:37 PM
I was able to sneak away for a five day trip to test out the mods on the Tacoma. With my brother along in his G-Wagen, we headed up the 15 freeway from LA to Mesquite, NV. We left the pavement there, toured the north rim of the Grand Canyon via Limekiln Canyon, Paiute Wilderness, Parashant National Monument, Toroweap, Kaibob Plateau, resupplied in Fredonia, crossed the Navajo Bridge, trekked out to the Shinumo Altar and Tooth Rock and then cruised to Mormon Lake in the mountains south of Flagstaff to take in a day of the Overland Expo. The BLM roads throughout the north rim are amazing and with the assistance of the Arizona Strip Map, we were able to track down some of the less traveled and unmarked areas.

Just leaving pavement.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/DSCN9760.jpg

Heading down into Limekiln Canyon
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/DSCN9765.jpg

Old well in Limekiln
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/DSCN9782.jpg

Parashant
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/DSCN9765.jpg

Narrow pass on the way to Toroweap
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/2012-05-17_15-04-38_315.jpg

Sunset over campsite at the Canyon rim in Toroweap
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/2012-05-18_05-32-55_922.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/DSCN9868.jpg

Crossing the Plateau
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/DSCN9805.jpg

Vermillion Cliffs
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/2012-05-18_15-25-21_241.jpg

Trekking to the Shinumo Altar
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/DSCN9909.jpg

Campsite at Tooth Rock
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/DSCN9917.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/DSCN9924.jpg

High in the pines south of Flagstaff on the way to the Overland Expo
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Grand%20Canyon%20Expo%20Trip/DSCN9927.jpg

I took a bunch of videos too. I need to sort and get them uploaded and then I'll post some here.

enzo
05-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Awesome pics man!

devortex
06-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Had the press the Taco into regular truck duty this weekend. I'm building some fences for a local animal rescue and needed to move them on my car hauler trailer. Here's a couple of shots of the the play truck turned work truck at the back of my property.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-06-02_10-05-36_468.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-06-02_10-06-49_52.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/ranchocortina/Tacoma%20Expedition%20Build/2012-06-02_10-07-18_711.jpg

WillRunner
08-10-2013, 03:37 AM
Great build! I just bought a Tacoma Dbl Cab and was thinking about the Thule Bed Rack also. Is that as low as you can set it?