2012 Expedition Tacoma Build in Progress

devortex

Adventurer
Very pleased with the progress of my truck to date. Still more to come but I'm managed to get much of the major work accomplished recently. Building the truck to handle extended off-highway touring, I'm not a rock climber but I want to be prepared to handle most situations so that I can continue forward on my treks. Here's the specs:

2012 Tacoma Double Cab - Off Road

Suspension - Icon adjustable coil overs with Icon UCAs up front, OME rear leaves with Icon reservoir shocks in the rear.

Tires - BF Goodrich KM2 255/85R16

Armor - Demello front bumper and hybrid sliders

Recovery - Warn M8000 winch, Hi-Lift, Axe/Shovel, full recovery kit

Racks - Bajarack roof rack, Rocky Mounts bike fork mounts, Thule bed rack (still sitting in my garage)

Coming Soon:
IPF lights for the front
Rear flood light
Roof top tent to mount on Thule over bed (want something aerodynamic and am leaning toward the Autohome Columbus but :Wow1: the $$$$$)
Fridge with removable rear seat platform
Fuel rack for the bed
Air compressor
Lots of small 'creature' comfort upgrades

Today I'll be working on the spare tire area to allow for the 255/85R16 KM2 to fit under the rear. I test fitted it yesterday and I think it'll go if I 'relieve' the exhaust hanger on the right and flatten out the two stanchions that centered the stock size tire. I may need to come up with a manner to hold it tight to the rear (at the hitch mount) so that there is adequate clearance to allow full articulation of the rear axle.

I'm anxious to get out for a trail test but my work schedule is hectic until mid-April. More to come as I continue the process. Here's a couple shots of the current set-up along with one after the suspension but still on stock tires. I'll update the thread with build photos later.

2012-03-04_15-16-57_990.jpg2012-03-10_16-13-53_278.jpg2012-03-10_16-15-34_908.jpg

highspeed

Looks sweet! Tell me, have you had any of the drive line noise that others have complained about now that you have a lift?

DblD

Adventurer
LOOKING GOOD!

Question about front mud flap clearance. Are you having any rubbing issues with your 255’s at full lock or while front suspension is compressed?

Thanks,
dd

Doc Foster

Adventurer
Looking nice so far. I too have a 2012 and have been looking at winch bumpers. Did Demello come out with a 2012 front bumper, or is that their 2005-2011 bumper? It looks like it is a pretty good fit, though a bit of gap below the center grill, though it might be the camera angle. The BajaRack looks good as well. Keep us all posted with plenty of pics.

devortex

Adventurer
Looks sweet! Tell me, have you had any of the drive line noise that others have complained about now that you have a lift?

Funny thing here...my last rig was an FJ60 with a Vortec/4L60E combo and I chased various vibrations and noises consistently. I figured a brand new Toyota would have no noises/vibrations from the driveline but even stock off the lot there were a few speeds where I felt/heard minor resonance from the driveline. I test drove several trucks, both auto and manual, and discovered the same thing. With the lift, I noticed that some of the resonance (I hesitate to call it vibration because it is so minor) occurs at different speeds than stock. Adding the KM2s increased it very minimally at a few speeds but then I may be confusing that with tread noise.

LOOKING GOOD!

Question about front mud flap clearance. Are you having any rubbing issues with your 255’s at full lock or while front suspension is compressed?

Thanks,
dd

No rub at all with normal driving/ u-turns/ backing up with full lock. I haven't had the chance to really articulate the suspension so the verdict is still out on rubbing at heavy compression.

Looking nice so far. I too have a 2012 and have been looking at winch bumpers. Did Demello come out with a 2012 front bumper, or is that their 2005-2011 bumper? It looks like it is a pretty good fit, though a bit of gap below the center grill, though it might be the camera angle. The BajaRack looks good as well. Keep us all posted with plenty of pics.

The Demello bumper is essentially a modified 05-11 bumper. There are a few gaps but the trim on the '12 truck is so uneven. My initial preference would have been ARB but who knows how long it'll be before they build them for what they perceive to be a small market (tell me again why we don't get the Hilux in NA?) Beyond the ARB, the only small shop that I felt made a strong enough (strength vs. weight) bumper is Demello. The build quality is top notch but I would be happier if it fit the body lines a little better.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Great looking rig! Let us know how you fit the 255 in the stock spare location, that's been one thing holding me back from going up to those over my 265s.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I love the Demello products (have their sliders). Did you happen to weigh that front bumper? I'd love to know, if so.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
255's- gas mileage and speedo/odometer correction

I also have a '12 that is in the process of being built up. I'm curious how the 255's have affected your gas mileage. How have you corrected the speedo and odometer for the larger tire size?

Rig looks good. I like that front bumper.
I went with Relentless Fabrication for my body protection. (front Al bumper, steel plate rear, steel hybrid sliders) Parts should arrive late May to early June. (loooong lead time on those parts)

devortex

Adventurer
Great looking rig! Let us know how you fit the 255 in the stock spare location, that's been one thing holding me back from going up to those over my 265s.

Didn't get a chance to work on the spare location yet. Hopefully this Saturday.

I love the Demello products (have their sliders). Did you happen to weigh that front bumper? I'd love to know, if so.

I'm guessing around 70-75 pounds. I was able to man-handle it pretty well myself and my daughter helped me line it up with the winch in place for mounting.

I also have a '12 that is in the process of being built up. I'm curious how the 255's have affected your gas mileage. How have you corrected the speedo and odometer for the larger tire size?

Rig looks good. I like that front bumper.
I went with Relentless Fabrication for my body protection. (front Al bumper, steel plate rear, steel hybrid sliders) Parts should arrive late May to early June. (loooong lead time on those parts)

I'm doing a mileage study right now. I'm stuck with a fairly long but consistent temporary commute so I'm using the Taco with the new tires to see how my freeway mileage has changed. I'm also leaving my Hi-lift, axe and shovel and a couple hundred pounds of junk in the bed to simulate a loaded condition when I head out on a trip. I want to see if I can pull 400 miles out of a tank. I haven't corrected the speedo, might not unless it really bothers me. I just did a quick calc to see where 50, 65 and 70 mph come in on the speedo now. I'll post up numbers after a few weeks of solid freeway, then I'll look at mixed town/ freeway/ trail.

Cytocycle

Observer
Nice setup! I just put money down on an '12 taco double TRD 4x4 offroad. I am looking to do similar mods as you have done but am cashed strapped for a little while. I was wondering if I could fit those 255/85/16 on my truck without doing a lift ? As I could sell off my brand new tires when I get the truck to get a better resale. thx Chris

upcountry

Explorer
Really nice truck! Like the front bumper and other choices.

Today I'll be working on the spare tire area to allow for the 255/85R16 KM2 to fit under the rear. I test fitted it yesterday and I think it'll go if I 'relieve' the exhaust hanger on the right and flatten out the two stanchions that centered the stock size tire. I may need to come up with a manner to hold it tight to the rear (at the hitch mount) so that there is adequate clearance to allow full articulation of the rear axle.

This is exactly the issue I faced when I went to bigger tires. I cut off the tabs that held the tire in place, but the 33" tire was still too big and rubbed on the diff cap at articulation. I ended up going with a smaller tire and used a ratchet tie-down cut to size to pull the tire back against the tow receiver.

Here is how I had mine pulled back against the towing receiver:

IMG_20120207_055823.jpg

If you dont have a towing package, this may not be a problem for you.

Another alternative is some sort of air system and keep the spare stored aired down.

I am running Wild Country XTX 285-70-17s on 17" American Racing Mojave wheels with 4.5 inches of backspace. My biggest challenge was finding a comparable tire to keep under the truck in the spare position that had a close diameter (the tires I am running have an overall diameter of 32.8"). I cant keep the spare in the back like some people do as I commonly use the back for camping equipment for my family - I have a camper shell on the back.

I tried several different tires and found that a TOYO M55 235-85-16 was the best of all worlds (http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/m-55). My reason was this tire is narrow enough not to hang down, and is narrow enough not to get hung up on the UCA when running in the front position, it is 32" in diameter, close to the 32.8 of the other 4 tires. If fits nicely. I honestly feel this is the tallest, narrowest, tire that will fit under the back while still maintaining rear axle articulation and clearance (wider tires hang down too much). But, as previsously stated if you dont have a towing package, this may not be an issue as there is more space back there becuase the towing receiver is not in the way of the tire.

But, this is all moot now since I have a full size 285/75/16 mounted on a rear swing gate bumper, as shown below:

IMG_20120226_133639.jpg

A couple of other suggestions on the build (you probably already were planning these, but did not see them listed):

1) Extended length bumpstops for the front (wheelers has some good ones - many others on the market)

Bump1.JPG

2) Extended stainless braided brake lines (these also really helped the effective pedal play in the brake system = better braking force)

IMG_20111114_141720.jpg

allpro4.JPG

3) Rear Diff breather relocate

Keep the pics comming!!!!!!!

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Gas mileage

I'm doing a mileage study right now. I'm stuck with a fairly long but consistent temporary commute so I'm using the Taco with the new tires to see how my freeway mileage has changed. I'm also leaving my Hi-lift, axe and shovel and a couple hundred pounds of junk in the bed to simulate a loaded condition when I head out on a trip. I want to see if I can pull 400 miles out of a tank....

400 miles per tank!?? Really!!? I'm running stock (auto tranny) and have gotten no where near 400 miles per tank. (currently averaging 248 miles between fill ups, largest fillup to date is 16.1 gallons...gotta love those Iphone apps :)) My average gas mileage for 1970 miles of mixed city and highway is right at 17.8mpg. I drive about 60% highway, 40% city.

... I haven't corrected the speedo, might not unless it really bothers me. I just did a quick calc to see where 50, 65 and 70 mph come in on the speedo now. I'll post up numbers after a few weeks of solid freeway, then I'll look at mixed town/ freeway/ trail.

How are you determining actual miles driven between fillups? It appears the odometer, and consequently the gas mileage, is going to be off ~ 8% running the larger tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles