snow at north pass saline vally

steve103

Observer
any one been through north pass in the last week that can say for sure how much snow there is. thanks for your help.

fourfa

Observer
Was there a new storm? I spent a week in the park a couple weeks ago, came over Steel Pass, and exited the south pass. There was almost zero snow anywhere in the park, and just tiny patches in the shade on the south pass.

zidaro

Explorer
Prolly not the best section of forum to get an answer on Saline right away, but your in luck.

As of this weekend N. Pass is clear of snow and an easy cruz.
We are supposed to be getting a bit of funk this week and the forecast is for up to 5' snow in Mammoth, not sure how that will effect the Pass.
Im headed back out on the 29th so would love for you to update the road cond. after you get out- or i'll see you there.

Look for HwyPatrol weather/road status of Westgard Pass, that is usually a good guage of N. Pass cond. You can also pinpoint Saline Road on NOAA weather site.

steve103

Observer
hay thanks for you info. 5 feet in mamouth what ya think maybe 2-3 max in north pass, that we can get through with chains on( oh fun). thanks .

zidaro

Explorer
I dont think we will see that much over there, its a high storm and mostly out of the north. Mammoth, hopefully, will create some orographic weather and we will see some quantities. Better be ready for it though :)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
IIRC the park service patrols the back roads on a regular basis, you may be able to get information by calling the ranger station and asking.

NPS in DVNP has Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds and they can go on pretty much all of the back country roads.

steep

Mammoth received approx 2" so far and the bulk of the storm is still to our North. Nothing major expected here till at least Friday night into Saturday. Not sure if this is helpful.

Cedar Jones

I went through the north pass on Saturday around noon and the snow didn't feel too permanent to me, for what it's worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online