2012 emissions delete - USA models?

John E Davies

Adventurer
Hi:

I'm new in this forum. I have sort of fallen hard for the EarthCruiser. I crawled around in one at Overland Expo 2012 in Flagstaff, Arizona last week, and I am really impressed with both the cabin and the truck itself. I hope to tour the EC plant in Bend, Oregon, once it is up and running.

I have several concerns, but one of my big ones is the BlueTec system. I am very familiar with delete kits for US made emissions equipped diesels, but I am clueless about the FUSO motor. I have been reading steadily through this forum, but I have a long way to go, so excuse me if this has already been discussed. Can someone tell me:

Does the FUSO ECU go into a shut down or limp mode if the DEF tank runs dry?

Can I fit a larger DEF tank, or would I have to carry loose cans of the nasty stuff?

Can someone explain the DPF regeneration process, and can the driver trigger it manually? I am concerned about perhaps starting a brush fire if the system regens unexpectedly. This is not uncommon with USA spec pickup trucks..... I expect that a moderately loaded, un-aerodynamic truck like an EarthCruiser would not have to regen very often, unlike an empty RAM Cummins pickup idling along and making soot....

Can the engine idle for prolonged periods without DPF issues? The earlier Cummins BlueTec engines had serious issues until Chrysler figured out the software.

Does the FUSO have a digital display that shows the status of regens and other emissions related data?

Finally, is there a tuner that would allow me to eliminate the system "for off road use only"? And can the tuner(s) dial in additional boost, or would I have to open up the intake and exhaust diameters to achieve that?

I have never even driven one of these trucks (it is on my To Do List), but I am worried that the stock power will be disappointing on steep mountain grades at 10,000 feet elevation. If I knew there was significant extra power available, I would not worry so much. I am currently driving a modified Series 80 (1996 LX450) and it is SUCH a heavy slug up high that I don't want to deal with the same situation if I get a new EarthCruiser.

Is there room in the engine bay for a transplant like a bigger four or six cylinder Cummmins?

Can someone give me a link to a good road test or video of the new FG, or of other emissions threads? I did find this one from a few years ago, but it sort of ended inconclusively: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/35722-2011-Diesel-UREA-Exhaust-and-High-Water?highlight=DPF+delete

I am very clueless about commercial diesel trucks and am hoping to learn from the experts here. I do have a solid mechanical background (ex A&P) but I need some Big Truck assistance. Thanks in advance for any links, advice, comments or humor.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

haven

Expedition Leader
Hello John,

Welcome to ExPo!

The Fuso Canter is so new I don't think anyone can answer your questions from personal experience. It's almost certainly illegal in Spokane to remove the emissions control gear. I think you'd be better served by looking for a pre-2008 Fuso FG140 chassis. They lack the modern emissions controls and don't require Ultra Low Sulfur diesel fuel. The FG140 chassis also has a two speed transfer case, a feature that is missing from the new Canter.

Here are examples
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=3415647&
http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/listing/2007-MITSUBISHI-FG140-101102373

dhackney

Expedition Leader
John,

I echo Chip's comments.

Second Stage Manufacturers, such as Sportsmobile, EarthRoamer, Global Expedition Vehicles or EarthCruiser, are specifically prohibited from modifying any safety or emissions related equipment on the vehicle.

That means those companies cannot legally remove any emissions equipment. If they do, they risk losing their license/certification/ability to assemble vehicles.

That rule also applies to any dealer service department or truck repair shop.

While it is possible that you could personally install some form of "emissions delete" kit after you purchase the vehicle, that modification will void the "5 year, 175k mile" Fuso factory warranty.

As Chip noted, if you want a non-emissions motor, your best route is to find a 2007 or earlier Fuso FG140.

As to power, we have been passed by a VW van going up a long grade (I'm not making this up), but, then again, we are carrying around a significant portion of the total mass of the known universe on our Fuso.

I would not count on a surplus of power except in the case of a downhill & 30 knot tailwind scenario.

If you're looking to run in the passing lane up long grades, the Fuso is probably not a good choice, even with a moderate payload such as an EarthCruiser camper.

The Fuso is, however, a fantastic chassis to explore the back roads of the world at speeds that enable you to take that world in as you pass through it.

Doug

John E Davies

Adventurer
The Fuso Canter is so new I don't think anyone can answer your questions from personal experience. It's almost certainly illegal in Spokane to remove the emissions control gear. I think you'd be better served by looking for a pre-2008 Fuso FG140 chassis. They lack the modern emissions controls and don't require Ultra Low Sulfur diesel fuel. The FG140 chassis also has a two speed transfer case, a feature that is missing from the new Canter.

Here are examples
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=3415647&
http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/listing/2007-MITSUBISHI-FG140-101102373
Thanks - I know it's illegal, but it is very common in the USA and I have been unable to find even a single _confirmed_ instance where an individual (not a shop owner) was fined, unless it was during a state inspection. Washington no longer tests or inspects newer diesels, and will do away with emissions testing entirely in a few years.

I don't plan to leave the USA or Canada, so ULSD is not a factor, and I actually like the new engine and tranny. I am leery of buying a used FUSO work truck that has been driven hard and put away wet, so to speak. It would be much easier (and make for more peace of mind) for me to buy a new truck chassis direct from EarthCruiser.

I did find a FUSO video that describes the emissions - there is a gauge and manual regen switch, so that part is good. However, as the DEF level drops to near zero the engine will gradually get more and more wimpy until the ECU locks out anything except first and reverse at reduced power. Not good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjMpTtXIY7E

The lack of a two speed transfer case is perplexing to me, and I can only hope Mitsubishi offers one in a later year. I am in no hurry - this is a long term process.....

I don't want to drive in the fast lane, but OTH I don't want to have to slow below minimum speeds and have to turn on the hazard lights.

As far as the warranty goes, the shop or the service rep would have to show that the lack of a part caused a failure. If you read some of the Big Three diesel forums, you will see that the emissions parts cause far, far, FAR more problems than does removing them.... I haven't a clue how hard-nosed the Mitsu dealers are, but many of the Dodge shops look the other way if some parts are missing.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles