Alternative tow points for stock rear bumper

droppdwn

Kind fellows,

Does anyone have a good solution to the stock rear bumper lack of suitable tow points? I had the 4runner buried up to it's hood in snow last week and would have been able to avoid 40 minutes of digging had I had a single, suitable tow point in the rear (I wish I had a picture of the Russian Bulldozer that offered to pull me out :Wow1: !). The only thing I have now is the single 'hook' on right hand side, and the bulldozer only had a hoopless wire rope that w/could have fallen off (and I WASN'T going to hold onto to find out).

I'm thinking something that attaches (with longer hardware) where the existing bumper is connected to the frame and that I could attach shackles if the need arose. Am I weakening that bumper/frame inteface by doing something like that? Changing the bumper/body meeting height? I'd love to hang a couple of shackles from the rear frame rails but maintain my rear bumper. A custom rear bumper is in order this summer once I 1. find access to a welder and proper steel or 2. Find a GOOD fabricator. There are plenty of fabricators in the 3rd world, but the quality of work is typically lacking...

http://www.pbase.com/droppdwn/chinese_new_year_in_armenia

pics of Aragats in Northern Armenia last weekend! There's at least five feet of snow up there right now (ideal for sledding!).

Chad

Scott Brady

Founder
Chad,

Important stuff first:

Great to hear from you! I have started a thread for you to chronical your adventures and experiences in Armenia (If you would be so kind).

Tow Hooks:

Rear- I would recommend installing a receiver hitch, which allows for many great uses, including towing :))), mtn bike racks and a great recovery point.

LostSol

i usually use a strap with a hook on the end. and hook it right into a hold in the frame.. its never failed me yet and ive seen some pretty nasty stucks

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
What year 4Runner do you have?

You can probably do one of three things, I did option number two:

Option One: Install a pair of aftermarket tow hooks and bolt them to the rear frame.
exp-th6bc_m.jpg
res74604003.jpg

Option Two: Install a pair of Toyota OEM tow loops (I've forgotten the correct name for these) and bolt them to the rear frame.

Option Three: If you have the stock tow package, insert a Warn or similar tow shackle into the trailer hitch.
i520417sq01.jpg

If I remember, I'll post pics of mine. I bought the tow loops from Toyota new for about $6 each and they mount in existing drilled holes.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
When using a receiver shackle, be sure that you have a class three hitch or better and that your receiver pin is up to the task- some of the cheaper ones on the market do not have a very high rating.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Chad I am bit late chiming in here, but I just came across this and think it might work for you.

Sonoran Steel makes bolt on shackle hangers that will fit a 3/4" shackle. According to the site they fit: "1996-2002 Toyota 4Runners, Front & Rear (no trailer hitch)"

shacklehanger_002.jpg

Also Linked on their site is the write up on 4runners.org

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke