Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
What are our initial plans?

Ground Clearance:
1. Johnson Rods for 2.5" 'lift'. You basically gain 'normal mode' ride height clearance by stealing extension travel.
2. Taller tires. 32.5" diameter to start. 33.5" on 18s to follow.

I run 32's and they rub with a lift. I would really like to know what the plan is for the 33.5s

MattScott

Approved Vendor
More pictures coming from Matt, who had the terrible job of driving the LR4 to Las Vegas and basically gambling and drinking for a few days while LRLV did the heavy lifting. Hopefully he will share his bribery story.

Ah, the bribery story.

So here's a tip—the next time you're checking into a big hotel, Vegas is a great example, when checking in try slipping the person behind the counter a $10 or $20 bill in between your ID and credit card. In doing so, ask if there are any complimentary upgrades. I usually do this when I book a basic room on Expedia for dirty cheap (they do not disclose the rate to the hotel staff.)

I've done it 3 times, it's worked three times. Once prior at Ceasars (Jacuzzi Suite) and twice this trip, initially at Harrahs the first night (penthouse suite, top floor) and at Paris (strip view luxury suite)

But yes, as Scott had previously said, I had the terrible job of hanging out in Las Vegas gambling, drinking, and hunting transient cougar. I highly suggest the Chandelier Bar at The Cosmopolitan and Tao at The Venetian.

Here's some behind the scenes images from LRLV when I wasn't on the strip:

...I really hope people understand the sarcasm.

lr41.jpg

lr42.jpg

lr43.jpg

lr44.jpg

lr45.jpg

lr46.jpg

lr47.jpg

lr48.jpg

lr49.jpg
lr410.jpg

lr411.jpg

lr412.jpg

lr413.jpg

lr414.jpg

lr415.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Interesting choice... Kinda hard to tell from this angle, but my first impression is that it lacks a certain...aesthetic quality. What turned you away from the Voyager or Baja?

Aesthetically, it is benign, which I like. Simple and light weight. I do like the Voyager and Baja though, how they follow the roofline.

Scott Brady

Founder
I run 32's and they rub with a lift. I would really like to know what the plan is for the 33.5s

dewalt-dw304pk-sabre-reciprocating-saw1050w-230-volt.jpg

Actually, it is not a bit deal, just takes some time and quality relocation/body work. In Iceland, they fit 35s and 37s on these trucks.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Dang. My friend makes adjustable rods to lift these trucks for cheap. Also as mentioned, they are adjustable. PM me for info.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
As a fresh LR3 owner who chose the Rover as the best choice to tote Boy Scouts around and go camping and adventuring with my boys, I approve of this project. I am looking forward to seeing this project progress. Off to a good start it seems.

One question..Why the ARB bumper? (sponsership?) From reading various reviews it seems that opinions are split, at best. Many saying that some models are not as strong as others (no idea on the D3/4 ones though).

MattScott

Approved Vendor
One question..Why the ARB bumper? (sponsership?) From reading various reviews it seems that opinions are split, at best. Many saying that some models are not as strong as others (no idea on the D3/4 ones though).

I actually believe it's the only bumper available in North America for the LR4.

ntan

Adventurer
Are you adjusting the bump stops as well for the larger tires? If an airbag goes out and it settles down to the lowest level, might have a hard time clearing the larger tires.

Scott Brady

Founder
Are you adjusting the bump stops as well for the larger tires? If an airbag goes out and it settles down to the lowest level, might have a hard time clearing the larger tires.

We have a cool plan for that, which will live in our recovery/tool kit. The tires work great right now, even at full travel.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Ah, I guess I assumed it was the same as a D3 because the gap below the headlights seems a bit wide and the grill seems to dip low behind it. Could be the angle of the shots though.

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
We have a cool plan for that, which will live in our recovery/tool kit. The tires work great right now, even at full travel.

Looking forward to the cool plan, on long expedition trips I actually have been carrying an extra front and rear bag in my spares case. I have also made four valves that can be attached to the airline to do a manual inflate if need be. The trick was finding the 6mm fittings.

I hope that you will post pictures of what you cut. I have identified a few culprits but can't see how to get a 35 under there. Do you expect there to be any gearing issues? Quite a step up from stock 29's

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Scott, Digging the LR4!!!

Just picked one up as well, love the sport mode!!! When I give up on the 80 series (when hell freezes over :sombrero:) I'm thinking about finding my Mrs something else and taking over our LR4 and seeing what its ready for.

Grover LR4 012.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94