Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

Scott Brady

Founder
Update: Current Image
Discovery_4_Air_Locker%20(2).jpg

As many of you know, the Overland Journal staff really likes Land Rovers, especially the solid-axle, coil-sprung variety. Our personal vehicles include a 1991 RRC, 1995 DI (5-speed), Defender 110, DII, Series IIa, etc. We have all seen Land Rover take a completely different approach to vehicle design and systems since those classic, Camel Trophy era machines. I had all but discounted the new offerings, but my opinion on the newer Land Rovers changed when I purchased a Range Rover MKIII for my wife (Stephanie is the designer of Overland Journal) and then subsequently took a month-long trip in Australia with a Discovery 3 (LR3).

From our trip into the outback of Australia. We drove thousands of miles in a well-used LR3 from ARB and had no issues, not even a flat.

Reliability was improving rapidly for Land Rover, and these trucks were actually outperforming earlier models in certain conditions (especially cross-axle terrain). The final "aha" moment came during a chat with Ray Dinardi, General Manager of Land Rover Las Vegas. He was showing me his collection of classic BMW motorcycles and indicated that the area he was storing all these cool bikes used to be LR service bays. He said that in 2006, they had 25 technicians and worked 7 days a week on warranty work and repairs. The quality of the new Land Rovers has increased so significantly that he now employes only six technicians. This is big news - modern Land Rovers seem to be pretty reliable.

I really enjoy Stephanie's MKIII Range Rover, so when I started considering what my next vehicle would be, I reviewed the available offerings. We had bought a JK Wrangler Rubicon (and drove it all the way to Panama), and of course I love my Discovery I, but it is becoming more of an office decoration than daily driver. It is also important that we test new products and new vehicles, so I decided to dip my toe into the dark and foreboding pool of modern overland vehicles. We considered several modern platforms, but none seemed interesting. We had been modifying and working with Jeep Rubicons for several years, so it was time to change it up.

We obtained a 2012 LR4 for testing and put it through the paces. I really liked it.

With the successful test, the decision was made to build a modern Land Rover into a serious exploration vehicle. It is surprising how many products are available for the LR4, so we made a list of solutions that would address concerns with the stock vehicle for long-distance remote travel. Land Rover provided a 2012 LR4 for the project and we wasted no time cutting plastic. The goal was to have the LR4 mostly finished by SEMA.

It is silver with a tan interior
d4_12my_studio_060711_01_LowRes.jpg

d4_12my_studio_060711_02_LowRes.jpg

Land Rover just took a similar vehicle (although diesel) half-way around the world. I know a few of the drivers from that trip and they told me the trucks did great - no major issues. Land Rover Millionth Discovery Expedition. I respect that Land Rover still supports significant overland expeditions like this.
day30_lr1m_009_LowRes.jpg

day39_lr1m_005_LowRes.jpg

More details on planned modifications and progress later today. We also look forward to learning from those who have already modified LR3s and LR4s. Post up your impressions and ideas.

Let's get started
53837_10151222350958914_1680862681_o.jpg

Last edited:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Awesome! I drove the LR4 several months ago and fell in love with it. It was FAR more capable than my modified DII. Can't wait to see the progression of your LR4.

Scott Brady

Founder
What are our initial plans?

Protection: This truck needs protection to save the expensive sheetmetal.
1. ARB Front Bumper
2. Kaymar Rear Bumper
3. Aluminum Rocker Protection
4. Skid Plates for soft bits underneath

Ground Clearance:
1. Johnson Rods for 2.5" 'lift'. You basically gain 'normal mode' ride height clearance by stealing extension travel.
2. Taller tires. 32.5" diameter to start. 33.5" on 18s to follow.

Recovery:
1. Front and rear recovery points
2. Warn 9.5 winch with synthetic line

Loading and Lashing:
1. Custom drawer system for sleeping and equipment storage
2. Lashing points
3. Aluminum roof rack

Additional Items:
1. 50L Fridge (of course, and the fridge in the arm rest just isn't big enough for a few pounds of Ribeyes)
2. HID lights
3. Comprehensive recovery and tool kit
4. Full compliment of support equipment (we have learned a lot about what works from our round-the-world trip).
5. Seat covers
6. Navigation
7. 2M radio
8. Possibly an awning

We are also going to test out a few other projects, including fitting factory LR 18" wheels and constructing a polyurethane emergency 'lift kit' that we can install easily in the field should the air suspension fail or fault.

The most important decision is where we are going to take it first. I am thinking Southern Utah in December to stretch its legs a bit.

rustyjames

Observer
Awesome! I'm also a fan of newer Land Rovers and have been contemplating adding a LR3 to the stable. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Scott Brady

Founder
The SEMA prep started late last week. The ARB bumper went on first, along with the Kaymar rear with a single swing out for the spare tire.
375875_10151460434478275_560269944_n.jpg

Why an ARB bumper on the LR4?

The most important reason is vanity. I like the way an ARB bumper looks on a vehicle and the ARB completely changes the spirit of the LR4. Of course there are many important functional benefits to bumper, primary of which is the fitment of a self-recovery winch. We can also install aux. lights on the bumper. By design, the ARB bull bar is designed to survive most animal strikes, preventing the radiator and other critical systems from being disabled. We do have elk and deer in Arizona, so this is a welcome attribute.

The bumper was pretty easy to install overall, the majority of the work done by Land Rover Las Vegas. The winch is a really tight fit and needed some trimming of the plastic air dam. You also need to cut the factory fender flare (scary). Measure about 10 times, then cut.

More pictures coming from Matt, who had the terrible job of driving the LR4 to Las Vegas and basically gambling and drinking for a few days while LRLV did the heavy lifting. Hopefully he will share his bribery story. A few pictures Matt took when not on the strip.
lrlv3.jpg

LtFuzz

Explorer
I love how the nay-sayers constantly point to the "new Land Rover corporate culture" and how it doesn't respect its heritage or its enthusiasts...

...yet how many vehicles has Land Rover donated to Overland Journal alone? And let's face it, while OJ certainly has risen to the top of a niche, it's still a small niche. We're not talking 4Wheeler circulation here.

Bravo, LR.

And sort of bitter-sweet on going from 25 techs to 6. Good that the vehicles are more reliable, but I also read that as 19 poor blokes getting laid off. I hope they were able to find work as LR techs elsewhere.

Scott Brady

Founder
I love how the nay-sayers constantly point to the "new Land Rover corporate culture" and how it doesn't respect its heritage or its enthusiasts...

I am going to wait until we see the new Defender before I make a final judgement on the new LR corp. culture.

Scott Brady

Founder
We just installed an Eezi-Awn prototype roof rack. Aluminum and super light weight (only 40 lbs). I like some of the racks that follow the roofline a little better (visually), but I am super anal about roof loads and limit handling performance. I view that rack as reserve capacity only, or maybe a place to store some firewood temporarily. This rack is perfect for that purpose.

176311_10151219426103914_1749719964_o.jpg

Sorry for these iPhone shots. We are going to take a bunch of detail images this Friday and will post them up.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Interesting choice... Kinda hard to tell from this angle, but my first impression is that it lacks a certain...aesthetic quality. What turned you away from the Voyager or Baja?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles