Suzuki Modification Information

Scott Brady

Founder
Datruper inquired about modifying the Suzuki Vitara.

Here are some good resources:

Calmini

Old Man Emu My personal recommendation, as the lift is only 1.25-1.5"

Then, install some 235/75 R16 Yokohama Geolander AT+II's

If you want to improve performance after that, install a limited slip or ARB locker, though that might encourage use of the vehicle on trails where body damage is likely.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Scott, thanks for the post, and thanks to Kevin on the other thread for helping to point in the right direction. The only lift Calmini offers for the GV is 2.5" which I think is a bit much. OME and the 1.5" is more along the track I would be looking for. And I am with you on the tire size as well Scott. The GV I will start after I get the tires and suspension done on the Trooper. But now I have a good idea and feel for the Zuk's abilities and it's primary driver. :luxhello:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
vitara mods

I have been modding my 4dr Vitara to get it off-road ready and have been very pleased with Rocky Road Outfitters' "Rock-Steady" kit with the addition of their rocksliders, which are very beefy and mount to both the frame and the body. The Old Man Emu springs and struts are first class, as are the Doetsch Tech shocks in back and give the truck MUCH better off-road manners and flex. I have 235/70/16 Firestone Destination AT tires, which have been very good on and off the road, except for mud.

The Zuk replaced my very gas thirsty Land Rover Discovery and I have been pleased, and impressed, with the off-road prowess of this little beast.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have any,

Jeff

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Thank you Jeff. I really appreciate your input. My wife and I were very impressed with the Zuk's off road prowess. After we get the modding going on the Trooper we will start on the Zuk. I agree, it is a great little rig, and fairly efficient to boot. :clapsmile

chet

island Explorer
wow a suzuki thread! I have a 4 door sidekick that I use for trips in the PNW. I have a friend with a GV with the calmini lift and it is perfect size.

In a small vehicle like this 2.5" is not that much. Although we both have problems with the Calmini being too stiff on gravel roads. I would like to try OME struts with the calmini suspension components for an all around perfect ride.

One a side note you need to remove the rear seat to gain any useful storage space. either that or a big roof rack! :camping:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Chet, as the GV is my wifes car it will not actually see all that much serious off roading. And removing the back seats would not fly with her. In most cases when we take it anywhere it is a second vehicle on the trip to haul people, the Trooper takes all the gear and crap that a family of 5 "needs" on our camping trips. Have you heard from anyone that has the OME suspension on thier GV? I would like to hear more. I can not imagine the ride getting any harsher than the stock suspension, because of the short wheelbase it is already very YJesque in its harshness. :jumping:

Also, thanks for the post and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of people on here that are always willing to hit the trails or offer up some good advice. I think you will like it here.

chet

island Explorer
haha on the ride not getting worse! :hehe: I was thinking the same thing but the calmini is HARSH! I use dto be able to take speed bumps at a normal speed but now I am down to a crawl to get over them!

If I was going to do a newer suzuki it would be an XL7 with the extra length.

Have you been to www.zukiworld.com They have a good GV section in their forum. I'm sure someone there has installed the OME stuff.

jeffryscott

zuk pictures

http://homepage.mac.com/jeffryscott/PhotoAlbum9.html

Here are a few pics of my first outing with the Old Man Emu/Doetsch Tech setup on the Vitara.

I've added the 2-inch body lift and rock sliders since from Rocky Road, but haven't gotten out to the trail as of yet.

Still have a lock-rite for the rear to install and UPS will bring a Hidden Hitch 2-inch receiver hitch I'll install as a rear recovery point (certainly not going to be towing 3500 pounds with the 2.0 liter engine).

My experience with Rocky Road was good, a little slow waiting for bits, but otherwise very good service. Calmini, on the other hand, has given me rather rude replies to any emails I've sent.

Everything I've read on the Suzuki forums is the Calmini shocks, springs and struts are not very good, the Old Man Emu stuff is infinitely better. I know on my Trooper (which I traded even for my Land Rover when gas was reasonable) I switched to OME and the difference was simply amazing.

Any of you Zuki guys planning on the November rendezvous?

Jeff

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Jeff, has the OME set up helped improve its ride? Chet was saying that the Calmini has made it worse. Just curious and wouldn't mind your input here. I will be going in November but more than likely I will bring the Trooper.

Attachments

• IMG_20140725_134421092.jpg
    IMG_20140725_134421092.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20140823_194058165_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140823_194058165_HDR.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20150528_180344734_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150528_180344734_HDR.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20150810_152722048.jpg
    IMG_20150810_152722048.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 1

jeffryscott

OME suspension

Aaron, the OME has improved the ride - cornering is better and washboard roads are much improved. The addition of the body lift has made the ride choppy, but that's OK for me.

Scott, the pics are up Redington Road on a little trail named 4436, it is a turnoff just about a mile before the bathroom/staging area. It's a nice little trail, very little traffic, not difficult, but definitely 4wd in spots.

It's become my favorite little trail when taking newbies out in their vehicles, or with family when I'm by myself. You don't have the yahoos that Chiva attracts ...

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94