Florida paddling trials

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Over the years My wife and I have paddled all over the U.S. 42 states to be exact. But as with most people we have missed out on some great places in our own backyard.

We are starting this Monday to knock off the official state canoe traill list. It features 39 rivers with a total of 1049 miles. River trips will range anywhere from 4 to 60 miles with most being 5-20 miles which is great for day trips. Hopefully in a year and a half we will have them all done.

I have obviously paddled alot of FLorida rivers but ironically never worked from the official list LOL. There are over 10,000 miles of waterway in FLorida so the state list only represents 10% of what's available but none the less it should be good.

I think for an enchore we will start work on the Federal wild and scenic river system. I did 7 days on one a few years ago in Wisconson and it was one of the best paddling trips ever.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
That sounds like a fantastic plan. I've done a lot of sea kayaking, but always wanted to experience a few of the classic North American canoe voyages.

What do you paddle? I have an atavistic attraction to wood and canvas, even though I know it can't compete with Royalex for most uses.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well I am a bit of a collector now I own 34 canoes and kayaks! I paddle Bell canoes for my river camping/day trips. I have a Morningstar in kevlar and a Carbon Candienne 17 for camping. A carbon Wildfire for solo. I fish from a Tarpon 160 (wilderness systems) and my regular sea kayak is now a Kevlar Impex Asseategue. I am probably going to sell a few boats this year to get a new tripping canoe. The 18'6" Northwoods in carbon. Unreal tripping canoe. I do not really believe in royalex any more. I also hate lugging heavy poly boats. I own a livery with heavy boats to haul around, so my personal time is all light wieght stuff.

I used to work for a canoe manufactureer making kevlar/carbon canoes. This is why I crave high end composite boats. I really understand what they can and can't do. What I have learned is that there really isn't much you can't do in a composite on the water. It's in transport they get hurt. They just don't fair well against inanimate objects LOL!

I have a 1910 Old Town Charles River 16 that is under restoration now. It is a museum quality piece so the guy doing the resto has actually been sitting on it for 6 months trying to decide what to do with it. It has the original cane seats rails everything. The canvas has 1 bad spot and 2 broken planks. everything else is solid no rot. I want to paddle it but he keeps trying to get me to leave it as it is and find a good place to display it to the public. I haven't decided. 2 cool things about this canoe (they all have a great story) it was titled on april 1 1910 as a 17 but it's a 16 Ha Ha almost 100 years later the joke comes out. The other thing is it was completed on april 28 1910, I was born april 28 1974. Wierd I happened onto it, Karma I guess. bought it for $250.00 resto about $2000.00 LOL!

What boats do you paddle? I heard you are really into it? Infact I wonder if you are the same guy who has wrote a few things down about paddling. I have some catalogs on my desk that have some books authored by a fella with your name LOL!

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Yep, those books would be me. I've written three on sea kayaking, one with my wife on general outdoor sports, and we edited the Whole Paddler's Catalog several years back.

I just finished revising and updating my first sea kayaking book, Complete Sea Kayak Touring. Due out next spring, I think.

The weird thing is, I don't even own a kayak at the moment. Always a manufacturer's boat available if I need one. However, I have my eye on one of Mark Eckhart's LongHaul MKIs--essentially an improved and enlarged Klepper. Terrific expedition boat.

That's some collection you've got! Not many people in the U.S. know about Impex boats. I like them.

Scott Brady

Founder
Sounds like a great idea. Collecting and passing knowledge is a real joy IMO, and helps to add another dimension to the hobby. As is said, when teaching others, it is really the teacher who learns the most...

I have discussed with my travel partners recently the idea of a long canoe/kayak trek. Likely in SW Arizona, though several routes in Southern Utah have great appeal to me.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
:Wow1: where are those "bow down" smileys when you need one...

I guess we know who the resident paddling experts are now! :D 42 states??!! AWESOME! You mentioned composite canoes... I have a royalex canoe made on the Buffalo River in AR. And I like it a lot, but you are right - it is on the heavy side. BUT, I am pretty hard on the equipment, and it has taken a lot of abuse from me :p I have a good buddy that I do some extended trips with, and he is using Kevlar, and can go faster (though his hull is not as wide as mine) and that thing sure is light! Kind of pretty too, with a "natural" translucent, wheat color to it. Anyway, you said "What I have learned is that there really isn't much you can't do in a composite on the water. It's in transport they get hurt. They just don't fair well against inanimate objects LOL! " What about rocks in the water? I seem to hit a lot of them. But the composites do appeal to me.

I have kayaked sea and lakes, and would love to get a kayak too. But I really like the "fat" luxury of the canoe. I like 'em both. One of these days...

Speaking of books, I really need to check out Jonathans book for sure. Also - have you guys heard of a fellow named Don Starkell?

Attachments

• DSC00640.jpg
    DSC00640.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1619.JPG
    DSCN1619.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
BajaTaco said:
I have kayaked sea and lakes, and would love to get a kayak too. But I really like the "fat" luxury of the canoe. I like 'em both. One of these days...

I have a "fat" Kayak in the garage, you are welcome to give it a try anytime (but you already knew that :p )

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Jonathan Hanson said:
Don Starkell is a consumate adventurer. His books Paddle to the Arctic and Paddle to the Amazon are both classics.

Yea, kind of blew me away! :Wow1:

Also, to JH and Nullifier, I don't know if you received an email or not with a copy of the text from my original post (if you subscribe to the thread) but I edited, and removed reference to a book that I mentioned. I erroneously gave the wrong title and author after looking at my library, and when I went to find the correct book, was sadly dissapointed to see it wasn't there :( I think I loaned it out... Anyway, I believe it was a book called "Canoeing Wild Rivers" by Cliff Jacobson. From my original post...

"This guy seems nuts, whitewater canoeing in freezing cold rivers - SOLO!. But seems to have tons of practical experience and wisdom on canoeing/camping in wild environs."

Just thought I would give it a mention here anyway. I am going to contact my father, because I think he has a copy - and verify the book with him so I can get another one.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
expeditionswest said:
I have a "fat" Kayak in the garage, you are welcome to give it a try anytime (but you already knew that :p )

Thank you sir ;)

Nuullifier, sorry to drift off-topic a bit. This is supposed to be about your Florida Paddling trips! I can't wait to hear some reports.

:lurk:

Attachments

• 4runner.jpg
    4runner.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 4runner (3).jpg
    4runner (3).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Sounds like a great idea. Collecting and passing knowledge is a real joy IMO, and helps to add another dimension to the hobby. As is said, when teaching others, it is really the teacher who learns the most...

I have discussed with my travel partners recently the idea of a long canoe/kayak trek. Likely in SW Arizona, though several routes in Southern Utah have great appeal to me.

I rallt like the Green river in Utah. The section through labrynth canyon is spectacular. That section is about 70 miles I think. It is definetly a good multiday trip with pretty easy waters so you do not need to be an expert to do this trip. You do need to have portable toilet and a fire pan but other then that nothing special. This would be a great first canoe expedition for you.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
BajaTaco said:
:Wow1: where are those "bow down" smileys when you need one...

I guess we know who the resident paddling experts are now! :D 42 states??!! AWESOME! You mentioned composite canoes... I have a royalex canoe made on the Buffalo River in AR. And I like it a lot, but you are right - it is on the heavy side. BUT, I am pretty hard on the equipment, and it has taken a lot of abuse from me :p I have a good buddy that I do some extended trips with, and he is using Kevlar, and can go faster (though his hull is not as wide as mine) and that thing sure is light! Kind of pretty too, with a "natural" translucent, wheat color to it. Anyway, you said "What I have learned is that there really isn't much you can't do in a composite on the water. It's in transport they get hurt. They just don't fair well against inanimate objects LOL! " What about rocks in the water? I seem to hit a lot of them. But the composites do appeal to me.

Speaking of books, I really need to check out Jonathans book for sure. Also - have you guys heard of a fellow named Don Starkell?

Well as for my belief on composites it stems from alot of personal experience. I'm sure there are alot of people that would argue me on the topic but I would say they need more instruction in paddling if they are truely worried about the damage their canoe will take. I have been teaching and competing in canoes for over ten years. I have come to the conclusion that a a properly built Carbon fiber/kevlar hybrid laminate is the tughest thing out there. I would put this material up against any plastic or aluminum canoe on the market. I say that because royalex is soft. It cuts, abraids, and dents very easily. I have found that it is easier to wear one out. Check out the stuff from Bell, the "blackGold" laminate is the best as far as I'm concerned. It's not cheap but it is the best.

It's funny that you are talking about Cliff Jacobsen he is a very good friend of mine, and has wrote the book on expedition canoeing. We have done several trips together. I think he is probably the formost athourity on wilderness canoeing out there. Yet he is a humble guy. He has a true passion for the artic circle and can tell some amazing tails. You should here the one about his wedding on one of the rivers up there. and for god sakes don't get him started on the whole "capaleni beanie" thing !LOL! It is like anything else though, His experience level is very high and allows him to take calculated risks. Make no mistake though he is one of the most organized planners going. He is coming down this winter because I am leading an annual week long canoe trip in Florida and he is on the guest list, along with David Yost, Bob foote, Karen Kight, and Ted Bell. A week of celebrities LOL!

ANy way when you get ready for a new boat let me know I will give you some more pointed info about hull materials. Maybe your a candidate for ocmposite after all.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well my wife and I DId the first river on the list yesterday. 12 miles on the Alafia River. Event though it is 20 minutes from my house I have never been on it. There used to be alot of issue with rednecks and the river was really polluted. It has been undergoing a clean up over the past few years though.

It was a better trip then I thought. We saw about 12 hawks, maybe 6 piliated woodpeckers, gators turtles and few other birds. The first half of the trip was really nice and then a little more then half way way we got to the section that has intermitent homes on it. All I can say is trailer trash. THere were beer cans and inflatible pools in almost every vack yard on the river. I just will never understand why someone who owns a beautiful piece of property would trash it. All in all the trip was great I will post a few pics tonight. It took us 4 hours at a leasure pace. Only 1037 miles to go LOL! We are planning the hillsbourough river next week. We have don eit all but a 6 mile stretch so it willl be easy to knock that one off the list.

Attachments

• IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Nullifier said:
Well as for my belief on composites it stems from alot of personal experience.

...royalex is soft. It cuts, abraids, and dents very easily.

ANy way when you get ready for a new boat let me know I will give you some more pointed info about hull materials. Maybe your a candidate for ocmposite after all.

Thanks! Yea, you are right. My canoe suffers from some dents and abrasion. I'm sure I could use some "refinement" in my paddling technique, no doubt. When I wear my Buffalo out, I will look into a composite replacement. I'll definitely give you a holler. Thanks so much.

Nullifier said:
It's funny that you are talking about Cliff Jacobsen he is a very good friend of mine...

He is coming down this winter because I am leading an annual week long canoe trip in Florida and he is on the guest list, along with David Yost, Bob foote, Karen Kight, and Ted Bell. A week of celebrities LOL!

:eek: :cool: WOW - Excellent! Yea, from what I remember reading, I was thinking to myself, "there is no way this guy could be BS'ing his way through this." Good to know I was right :)

Nice little report on the Alafia. I would love to see some pileated woodpeckers again. I haven't seen one in a few years. They are impressive birds, and I have a soft spot for the woodpeckers/flickers. What is your take on the Imperial sightings? Any thoughts? That would be cool to see one of those!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
BajaTaco said:
Nice little report on the Alafia. I would love to see some pileated woodpeckers again. I haven't seen one in a few years. They are impressive birds, and I have a soft spot for the woodpeckers/flickers. What is your take on the Imperial sightings? Any thoughts? That would be cool to see one of those!

Well I think that it is really no wonder why they are thought to be gone. There living area per breading pair is huge. Especially giving the nature of their feeding and breeding habits..

I do however feel it is highly probable they are still alive in small pockets. Especially since we now know there are a few Ivory Billed Woodpeckers still alive after having gone 60 years without a confirmed sighting. I hope at some point they are confimed and the geographic area they are found is quarantined but only time will tell.

Attachments

• 2011-08-18_08-28-59_52.jpg
    2011-08-18_08-28-59_52.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 6
  • view from camp small.jpg
    view from camp small.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94