Yukon, Northwest Territories and Alaska 2006 (cancelled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Brady

Founder
NOTE: Trip has been postponed due to my Colorado trip, Washington trip and a trip to Oahu in early June. I am seriously considering a winter assault, driving the ice roads.

I am in the initial planning stages for a 4-6 week trek to the Arctic Circle in Summer of 2006. I will start posting details here...

IMPORTANT NOTE: As many of you know, I write for several magazines. 4WD Toyota Owner, Toyota Trails and others. I will be writing a story on this adventure (like I do for all of my trips). Out of consideration for this, and the effort I put into planning and leading these trips, I ask that you do not post pictures or trip reports to forums other than this one, and do not solicit the trip for articles in any publications. After my story has published, then you are welcome to post pictures on other forums, and put stories on your personal websites. Thank you for being understanding. If you have special requirements in this area, just let me know, and we can talk about it

Attachments

• IMG_3083.jpg
    IMG_3083.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3219.jpg
    IMG_3219.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3218.jpg
    IMG_3218.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3217.jpg
    IMG_3217.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I assume you've included driving the Dempster Highway, Scott? The most spectacular 500 miles of nasty shale gravel road in North America. It ends in Inuvik, on the banks of the Mackenzie River, well north of the Arctic Circle. From there you can hire a float plane to take you to Tuktoyaktuk or other spots on the Beaufort Sea coast (or you could do what we did and kayak down the river; it's flat and suitable for sea kayaks).

Scott Brady

Founder
Jonathan,

My current plan is to drive the Dempster at least into the Northwest Territories. Maybe to Fort McPherson, but I am not sure. Inuvik is appealing, but will depend on the time we have available. Even 6 weeks would be tight...

For those not familiar with this area, here is a nice map:
dempstermap.gif

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
One of the best things about driving the Dempster is looking east and realizing there is not another road before you hit Hudson's Bay, about one and a half thousand miles. I'm not even aware of anyplace in Africa like that.

Inuvik is worth it if you have the time. Fort McPherson is just a village, but Inuvik has a fantastic bookstore, a church shaped like an igloo, and a lot of other interesting stuff.

dmc

Adventurer
Scott,

I toyed with that route a few years back. My co-pilot and I both had connections in Alaska so we decided on the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse AK instead. Thanks to a blown sidewall (Goodyear MTR) and the inability to get a timely replacement in Fairbanks I didn't even make it to Dawson City. I have travelled from Utah to different regions of Alaska 5 times so I'm very comfortable with the routes northward. Not sure I can help on the north end of your trip but I'll weigh in on the southern half if you'd like.
dmc

Scott Brady

Founder
DMC,

Thank you for the offer of assistance ;)

I also have a great connection in Alaska, and am concidering driving to Inuvic now and on to Anchorage. From there, I would put the truck in a container and ship it to LA. That would allow for a longer adventure without covering much of the same terrain twice.

I will start planning this trip in earnest once the Baja adventure is done... :)

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I will be following this thread carefully and posting our findings - I promised my GF (on a certain numbered birthday) I would coordinate an Alaskan adventure - This trip could not be more timely. We have started the research, talking to alaskan natives and getting a feel for the adventure.

Scott Brady

Founder
Fantastic LINK! This is so exciting to think about, I can hardly stand it :elkgrin:

We are GOING to make this thing happen...

VikingVince

Explorer
YEAH...that link really wet my appetite...I suggest we consider taking that little plane ride up to Tuk...talk about a little village on "the edge of nowhere"...that is it!!...and people live in Tuk year around!...rather amazing, compared to people like us who live in these crowded urban areas...what does a Tuk native want out of life? (a few warm days maybe) :)

I've been doing some research on the Dempster vs the Dalton...and as you no doubt knew, Scott, the Dempster is the way to go...at least according to people who've done both...the Dalton parallels the Alaskan pipeline...yuk!...the Dempster looks like an "experience"

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Thanks for that great link! - i got lost in the tatra automobile :coffee:

I have been talking with a few folks who have visited, and also grew up in Alaska - they all say take the plane ride :)

Jasonazx

Adventurer
Scott, do you have any idea yet where everyone would meet up to make the trek up there? More specifically, which state and city? I am starting to really think about this trip, and just trying to get an idea of the drive up there, as I have never done a trip like this.

Scott Brady

Founder
Interesting question...

The group would initially form up near Prescott, at the area where DesertDude and I live. From there, we would travel west and meet up with Vince. Then our travels would take us north.

Lots to think about on this one. :ylsmoke:

Hello Scott,
How many vehicles did you have in mind for this expedition? I know the other group is starting to plan for a Alaska 2006 trip. I just wanted to know if this would include people from that group too. Thanks. :victory:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
An anecdote from Tuktoyaktuk: Roseann and I pulled our kayaks up the beach there after a five-day paddle from Inuvik, and a young Inuit woman dressed in Gap jeans helped us carry our dry bags up to the little hotel. After we told her where we had come from she thought a moment, then said, "So . . .is this your idea of a dream vacation?" We allowed as to how it was. She thought a few moments more, then said, "Man, I'd have been in HAWAII."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles