Graduated ND Filters

Scott Brady

Founder
Many of the proplems associated with traditional film photography have been resolved in the digital darkroom. However, there are a few challenge that remain.

The first is glare and contrast, which can be solved in most situations for the a circular polarizer. I have used a polarizer for many years now in both mediums with good success.

This image is an example of the use of a polarizer to make the clouds "pop" against the sky.
MED_coronado_clouds.jpg

The next problem is the use of a Graduated filter, which is also known as a split nuetral density filter. These filters allow the photographer to "stop down" a bright sky. I have begun research on these important filters and will be purchasing a 2 and 3 stop ND graduated for my Cokin filter system. I will take a few "test" shots and share the results with the forum.

I am also curious of anyones experience using these...

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I have! The Cokin style, which allows you to place the graduation line where you want it, is by far the best. With cheaper ones you have to have the horizon line in the exact center of the photograph. Boooooring. . .

I wonder if these are necessary for digital photography, where we can adjust the exposure afterwards so easily? There's still a limit to manipulation without loss of quality, so perhaps it's still a good accessory.

Attachments

• DSCN0052.jpg
    DSCN0052.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 23

Scott Brady

Founder
Jonathan, thanks for the feedback. I am sold on the Cokin filters too.

I think they have a place with digital images too, but probably not until 2 or 3 stops are required. I have had a few images recently where the sky just could not be corrected in Photoshop. attached is an example of the sky properly exposed and the foreground exposed.

As an experiment, I attempted to put the two images together in Photoshop. So I suppose that you could take two images, and splice them together, though the results under close inspection are not sufficient.

Attachments

• DSCF7222.JPG
    DSCF7222.JPG
    889.5 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF7221.JPG
    DSCF7221.JPG
    876.4 KB · Views: 75

JNorton

ND Grads

I've used the cokin "p" system for a little while, shooting film and digital. The dynamic range of many high contrast scenes is well outside of the limits of slide film and digital sensors. Graduated filters an effective. However, there are definate things to be aware of. The cokin brand filters are not true ND filters. They are graduated 'grey' filters and result in sometimes unacceptable grey color casts in the gradiation. Not only that, but they are the most prone to flare of any square type filter I've used, also the most easily scratched. Other manufacturers produce filters to fit into the cokin "p" system. Hi-Tech are ones that I've used...still relatively inexpensive, but a true ND filter.
Unfortunatly, too, the filters are typically made of "organic glass" which is really a resin or plastic-type gel filter. They are prone to scratching, easily get static charge and attract dust unbelievably effectively. Adding a true anti-static brush to your kit will be almost critical. I've heard that Tiffen makes an expensive optical glass alternative that might be a worthwhile investment. Also, with a lens wider than 24mm, even sometimes a 28mm, depending on brand and model, will vignette with the Cokin system. I've got a modified holder, which I simply hack-sawed off the other filter slot, leaving a slim holder that fits only a single filter.
The filters themselves usually come soft edge and hard edge, and both definatly have their uses. I think you are on the right track starting with a 2 and 3 stop. Looking forward to seeing some of your tests.
James Norton

Scott Brady

Founder
James,

Thank you so much for the detailed response.

I will be doing more research and making a purchase in August, which will include the 24mm L Canon lens.

I am going to make an upgrade to my digital body, most likely to a 20D, as I already have a suite of Canon lenses.

I hope to start posting test shots soon.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I've been digging :archaeolo and found this thread...

Are there anymore comments on graduated ND filters?

What you're using?
Likes/dislikes?
What you know?
links?

Darren

Adventurer
Mark,

Singh-Ray filters are pretty much universally regarded as the best, and the price reflects this. The other good options are B+W, Hitech and Lee, though Lee's filters are pretty large. Cokins are not neutral as James mentioned. Whatever you do, don't get a circular threaded grad as the transition line is centered and cannot be adjusted to the scene like a rectangular filter. Go with one of the above and you'll be set.

Mlachica

Darren said:
Mark,

Singh-Ray filters are pretty much universally regarded as the best, and the price reflects this. The other good options are B+W, Hitech and Lee, though Lee's filters are pretty large. Cokins are not neutral as James mentioned. Whatever you do, don't get a circular threaded grad as the transition line is centered and cannot be adjusted to the scene like a rectangular filter. Go with one of the above and you'll be set.

Those are nice. Here's a couple questions...

For what situations would I want to use hard stop? soft stop?

What holds the filters? (I'm a noob, bare with me) link?

Darren

Adventurer
In general, hard transitions would be used for flat horizons, such as coastal scenes where soft edges would be used for mountains or any irregular horizon line. If the scene is too complex to where the grad line will be too evident or distracting, a digital blend of two exposures will be the best alternative.

The Cokin P holder is what they fit in. Then, you would need to get an adapter ring that is the same size as your lens(es).

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
If you are shooting digital I think you may be better off taking a couple exposures and blending them in Photoshop as it give a lot more control than you can get from a filter. Also, if you are shooting RAW you can output several final exposures from a single capture and blend in photoshop.

A couple things to consider:
- The colored Cokin filters are great, but neutral is a little magenta, not neutral.
- Singh-ray are regarded as the best, but only you can decide if they are worth it. If you are shooting 35 mm or DSLR the Galen Rowell filters are very nice. They are Singh-ray with (I think) and extended clear area and possible larger transition zones.
- Lee and Hitech are the same technology and I think they were actually developed jointly, but manufactured and marketed separately. I would be surprised if there is a difference between them.
- All hard and soft gradations are not created equally, with Singh-ray's being much harder than Lee/Hitech/Cokin.

For DSLR's remember that a f-stop is a halving or doubling of information captured on the sensor. Some cameras record a lot of noise in the shadows.

This concludes everything I know about graduated filters. :D

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
JNorton said:
Adding a true anti-static brush to your kit will be almost critical.
James Norton

While I agree with everything in James' post, the true anti-static brushes he mentions (assuming I am thinking of the same thing) are absolutely wonderful and have many uses. The only problem with them is what makes them anti-static is a small radio active element near the bristles. If you try to get one of these through airport security you will get a complimenatry physical (also known as the full-body search) from the TSA and some rubber glove wearing man named Sgt. Bubba, so leave it at home when you fly. :eek:

Mlachica

wow, thanks for all of the input. It's been really helpful.

Keep it comin' :victory:

Also, if you are shooting RAW you can output several final exposures from a single capture and blend in photoshop.

(also something I need to learn about: the benefits of RAW):p

Scott Brady

Founder
I just picked up a set of ND filters for my Cokin P system. A P1 (1 stop) and a P2 (2 stops)

time to experiment :lurk:

Scott Brady

Founder
My mistake Dave,

I purchased a P120 G1 and a P121 G2, both grey ND. Thats what I get for typing from memory :)

Now I need to wait for a nice blue sky with some puffy clouds. Fortunately, in Prescott, that is nearly every day :jump:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles