An M8000 Warn weighing less than 50lbs.?

Scott Brady

Founder
I am working on a project to get a my Warn M8000 winch with fairlead and controller to less than 50lbs.

The winch body and 80' of steel cable weight 48lbs.
The controller and wiring weighs 9 lbs.
Fairlead weighs 11 lbs.

So right now I have 80' of synthetic 5/16" line on order and I am looking for aluminum fairleads. When these items start arriving, I will let everyone know what the weight advantages are as things develop.

The main reason for this little effort is to reduce some of the mass from the front end of my Tacoma. With the ARB bumper and winch hanging out in front of the tires, it really changes the suspension dynamics.

More to come :)

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I can really relate to that Scott. Having tried the ARB bumper on my own Tacoma (and the fairly heavy bumper I have now) I think your efforts on this are really worthwhile. And my prediction is that you will end up with good results and probably help a lot of people with low GVWR vehicles in the process by improving their vehicle's efficiency. Good job ;)

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I mounted the warn 9000 on the front of the Tacoma along with a Demello offroad tube bumper - the 100 foot steel cable wieghed approx 18lbs the fairlead approx 10. The synth line appox 4 and the alum fairlead approx 2 - I saved about 22 lbs - and added maximun saftey

Scott Brady

Founder
I have 80' of 5/16 synthetic line coming, which weighs about 4lbs. with the thimble.

I also found this fairlead, which weighs less than 1lb. :D

FLEADMOUNTED.jpg

I think I might hit my 50lb goal...

Attachments

• 228.jpg
    228.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 78

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
thanks for that link - a pound is a pound :D

When I was in Moab I met a guy who worked for warn - he mentioned a way for me to place my controler box under the hood and run an remote extention to my bumper for a cleaner set up - have you seen this? I have searched the net to death and have come up empty. I failed to get his card at the end of the trail run...

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Thanks again link-master!

Quote:
After my move to Prescott, you can come down and check it out...

Roger that neighbor ;)

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
So you mount the solenoid under the hood, mount that switch in the cab, run the wiring into the engine bay and it simply plugs into the solenoid? Or do you have to crack open the solenoid and wire it up there?

Scott Brady

Founder
You need to remove the cover of the control box and hook up three wires. The installation is actually quite simple.

This project is proceeding along nicely now. I have the remote winch controller and the 80' of synthetic line (both supplied be Roadless Gear)

roadless_gear_controller.JPG

Now, all that is left is the fairlead. This has proved to be a fun project...

Scott Brady

Founder
Patrick,

Yes, the firewall is an issue. I have made one 3/4" pass through, but it is getting full.

My next big project will be a "whole" truck auxilliary system wiring harness. I now have too many systems coming on line, so it needs to be all done at once, documented and easily serviced. With the aux. battery, three more gauges, winch controller, lights, etc. etc.

Lots to do by November! :eek:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Scott, a whole vehicle harness for all your aftermarket/custom accessories is a wise decision. Unfortunately, we never seem to know we really need one until we are years into the modification game. As I am sure you already know, this usually leads to a hacked together electrical system at worst, and a pain in the butt to troubleshoot at best.

One comment on the winch controller (the in-cab portion). Select your switch location carefully. You likely won't be seated squarely in your seat, facing forward as if you were driving, when you actually use it....you'll be leaning out the window watching tire placement, looking over your shoulder checking rear quarter panel clearance, etc., making it difficult to place a switch where it will be easily reached no matter where you are at. This situation caused me to not install a switch inside like you are planning. Instead, I am considering 2 other options. First, wireless (available from Warn, Tmax, and others). Second, I am thinking about adding a plug for my wired remote inside the jeep. This way I can just plug the remote into the dash, but still have limited mobility inside. I will likely get a second remote and shorten the cable up to about 24"....maybe with a self coiling cord (like the old phone cords)......

I'll be looking forward to see how your wiring harness turns out.....any thoughts about adding any sort of automation to it (automatic fuel transfer at a certain level, automatic water transfer, air compressor, etc)?

Scott Brady

Founder
goodtimes said:
Second, I am thinking about adding a plug for my wired remote inside the jeep. This way I can just plug the remote into the dash, but still have limited mobility inside. I will likely get a second remote and shorten the cable up to about 24"....maybe with a self coiling cord (like the old phone cords)......

I like that idea. That would work out very well IMO and be simple.

goodtimes said:
I'll be looking forward to see how your wiring harness turns out.....any thoughts about adding any sort of automation to it (automatic fuel transfer at a certain level, automatic water transfer, air compressor, etc)?

Funny you should say that. Jack and I spent some time brainstorming about running a small PLC and programming in some of the functionality you describe. Then I just slapped myself, and came back to reality. I could just see me pumping all of my water reserves down MEX1 :eek:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
expeditionswest said:
...Then I just slapped myself, and came back to reality....

HA! Your not alone in that one Scott. There have been several times I have had to do that in the last couple years..... :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles