Pics from our 2007 Trip - Many areas in Colorado

skitime

Observer
I thought I would share some pics of our travels from the past. In 2007 we explored many areas in Colorado. We seem to spend the most time in Colorado but we have traveled though all the western states and the western provinces of Canada. In 2007 I left 10 days ahead of Vonnie, I took her father along for company. When she flew out her dad flew back. It worked out well and Jim had never seen the Rockies so I took him to many places I have seen often but I have not seen for several years.

This is a cool easy offroad trail about 12 miles long inside Rocky National Park.
Picture036.jpg

This is from a trail north of Blackhawk CO looking toward Mount Evans.
Picture235.jpg

We stay near Central City whenever we travel along Interstate 70. There are tons of offroad trails around the area with lots to explore with all the old mine sites.
Picture374.jpg

Mount Evan is the highest paved highway in north America the peak is at 14260 ft. and definitely worth the drive if you are in the area even if it is paved. They have a healthy population of mountain goats.
Picture302.jpg

View from the top.
Picture328.jpg

I took Jim on some offroading trails I found on some maps and talking to the locals near Georgetown along a pass road called Guanella Pass. This was a cool trail that followed a stream bed that had been diverted.
Picture378.jpg

There are many great trails to explore around the Cripple Creek CO area. We really enjoy driving the trails that were old railroad beds. It is easy driving but you get the feeling you are on an old time train as you go through the old tunnels and trestle bridges. One of them runs 22 miles and the other runs for 42 miles from Colorado Springs to near Cripple Creek.
Picture473.jpg

Picture637.jpg

Between Cripple Creek and Canon CO is a nice trial called Shelf Road there are some neat areas to explore along the road.
Picture557.jpg

Picture564.jpg

skitime

Observer
Here is a view looking south on Shelf Road. Look carefully to see the road on the right side of the pic.
Picture616.jpg

After this area we headed west to Buena Vista area. We often pass though this area which has some serious offroading trails on it. We went up a exciting trail to the top of Mount Princeton at 14,197 ft. This trail is steep, narrow and lots of dangerous dropoffs. The views are awesome along the way. We attempted this road again in 2008 but we were blocked by snow 3//4 of the way up.
Picture691.jpg

Picture694.jpg

We continued west to the Tin Cup area and spent several days exploring the area. You have more trails there then you can shake a stick at. The trail range in difficulty with many very challenging trails. Again old gold/silver mines site are everywhere which makes every trail fun to explore.
Picture795.jpg

From there we travel further west to our favorite area which we find ourselves calling it our second home of Silverton Co. This trail is not for the faint of heart. It climbs a steep trail just cut through rock slides. To get to the top you have several hairpin turns that I have to back up a few times to make it even in a Tracker.
Picture862.jpg

Picture866.jpg

We have gotten to know several great friends in the area who do the trails with us. This makes it safer and a lot more fun too. This is from an area near California Pass. The trail you are looking down on is a difficult trail called Poughkeepsie Gulch I have driven and ridden parts of it but have yet to do the whole trail. I now have front and rear lockers and winch so I plan on doing it next time.
Picture880.jpg

There are ghost towns along many trails. Here is a building in the ghost town of Animas Forks.
Picture926.jpg

We went exploring in a new area on this trip on the mountains above Animas Forks. The beauty was breathtaking.
Picture988.jpg

Picture1054.jpg

skitime

Observer
We found a car wash and took advantage of it.
Picture1087.jpg

Picture1092.jpg

When we are in the Silverton area we camp in the National Forest land and can stay for free. We are along a roaring river and meet many great people each summer. The RVers beside us had a Samuria and we invited them on a trail we had done before but love the drive.
Picture1106.jpg

Picture1109.jpg

Here is a beautiful area near Silverton. We parked the vehicles off in the distant and hiked to this location.
Picture1127.jpg

Here is what we were hiking to. An old mine very high on a cliff. We probably should of had mountain climbing equipment to get down to the bunkhouse building and cable house.
Picture1134.jpg

Here is what the kitchen looked like inside.
Picture1149.jpg

The view out a window.
Picture1162.jpg

Picture1122.jpg

Here is the start of the difficult climb out.
Picture1210.jpg

skitime

Observer
Here is what the buildings we climbed to looked like from the valley floor. The buildings are circled in yellow.
Picture1357-1.jpg

One of our favorite trails goes from Telluride to Ouray called Imogene. It has challenging steeps, scary narrow sections, water crossings, cliffs and great views.
Picture1276.jpg

This is the view from Imogene over to an even scarier trail called Black Bear Road. I have done Black Brear on motorcycle and in the Tracker.
Picture1278.jpg

Along Imogene
Picture1292.jpg

Picture1297.jpg

Picture1301.jpg

Picture1363.jpg

We spent 2 1/2 weeks in Silverton before we had to head home. I enjoyed seeing Mount Evans with Jim on the way out so I took Vonnie to see it on the way home to Pennsylvania. I loved this shot of a mountain goat laying down with the city of Denver CO in the background.
Picture1406.jpg

Picture1432.jpg

Picture1434.jpg

Hope you enjoyed some of the 1500 pictures we took on this trip. You got to love digital cameras.

Reata Rover

Adventurer
ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! Thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to drive these trails but have never had any other vehicles to join me in case of an emergency. Really beautiful. Thanks again.

skitime

Observer
Let me share some more pics of the mine high on the mountain. It was quite an experience to get to see it and get back out safely. The mine high on the cliff is the Old 100 Gold mine. http://www.minetour.com/oldhundredhistory.htm In 2006 the buildings were stabilized to save the structures. They used helicopters to get building supplies up to the site. We were camping in the valley and often watched the helicopter work. It is an amazing site to be at even if you risk life and limb to get there. Here are some more pics of the location.

Here is the Colorado state flower the Columbine
Picture1136-1.jpg

This is the view out the dining room window.
Picture1141.jpg

This is the front of the wheel house. It sets in front of the mine hole. Ore was removed from the mine and transported by ore buckets to the stamping mill on the valley floor. The miners would ride the ore buckets to get up to the mine and supplies would also be brought up by the buckets. Things that would not fit in the buckets would come in on the trail we hiked in on and then be lowered to the mine. There are miles and miles of mine holes at many levels.
Picture1147.jpg

This is the kitchen stove. It was also the furnace for the boarding house. Even in the summer, at this level you can
Picture1153.jpg

This is the second floor of the bunk house. The mattresses had all the material eaten off by the marmots which are mountain creatures like the groundhogs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmot Picas could also eat the bedding. Picas look like gerbils to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pika We see pikas and marmots all the time while offroading in Colorado in high elevations.
Picture1154.jpg

You find lots of stuff the reminds you this was a site filled with miners.
Picture1170.jpg

Pictures from the wheel house.
Picture1173.jpg

Picture1176.jpg

Looking down the cables that are still in place.
Picture1182.jpg

skitime

Observer
These are the ore cars from the mine.
Picture1204.jpg

I just picture a miner sitting on this porch smoking a pipe after a hard days of mining.
Picture1192.jpg

Here are the rails leading into the mine.
Picture1205.jpg

Here is the entrance to the mine with a huge pile of snow and icicles hanging from the ceiling. Notice the steel door preventing entrance. Most mines have these doors to prevent foolish people from finding their death inside. It is very dangerous to go inside the mines. Only a few very remote mines do not have these steel door yet.
Picture1208.jpg

Here is another mine hole we passed on the trail in and out. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of mine in these mountains.
Picture1231.jpg

Getting to locations like this with a 4 wheel drive vehicle and some hiking is what offroading is all about to me. You get to see things few others ever get to see. When we are in this area we spend entire days above tree line 11,000-12000 feet above see level in Colorado. Sure it is fun to crawl around in rocks, mud and woods for a day but the real value of the Tracker to me is getting me somewhere few people have been.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I have informed my wife that when we head out West we will be driving and we will be gone for at least a month.:smiley_drive:

skitime

Observer
ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! Thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to drive these trails but have never had any other vehicles to join me in case of an emergency. Really beautiful. Thanks again.

We are always looking for someone to run trails with. We are going back to Moab for some multi-day trips and need another rig to run with for safety. What are you doing in mid June? We will be doing more Colorado on the trip as well.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Great pics of a beautiful area! I was in Cripple Creek last summer, neat little town! Didn't have the opportunity to explore, but I'd love to get back there some day.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Mount Evan is the highest paved highway in north America the peak is at 14260 ft. and definitely worth the drive if you are in the area even if it is paved. They have a healthy population of mountain goats.
Picture302.jpg

Awesome! Your posts are excellent!

Of course you can tell by my ExPo name that I have a special affinity to this picture.

And welcome to the Portal!

skitime

Observer
Awesome! Your posts are excellent!

Of course you can tell by my ExPo name that I have a special affinity to this picture.

And welcome to the Portal!

I had to look up cabrito and it sounds great. Here is some more to work up your appetite.

Picture357.jpg

Picture354.jpg

Picture345.jpg

Picture320.jpg

Picture318.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles