Tire Inflators - Which to get?

rionorte

Since we have a thread on tire deflators, it is inevitable that a thread on tire inflators would come.

In all seriousness, as someone who is starting to take his rig offroad, what would be the best tire inflator in terms of price, quality, and a gimme in places that might not have a gas station or a gas station without air compressors at the end of the adventure.

At this point, Im not looking at air tanks yet. But include them for future reference for others who might be.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

This summer......while in Stillwater, Minn. I found this SuperFlow MV50 at Checker Auto Parts. I came in off an ad they had.....they were out of that one but said they had a better one at the same price!.....I paid just $24.99 ;)

I've very happy with it!

Here is a Review I found........

mf4.jpg

....that's Not my hand!....hehe

Last edited by a moderator:

rionorte

Thanks WonderRunner. That review of the SuperFlow was convincing for people like me especially against the Viair:

"This is a great little compressor for the "wheeling poor" and cheap skates alike." - MoabJeeper magazine

Not a cheap skate but looking for the best quality for the price Im looking for.
Will be shopping around today and I will be taking the review with me for reference.

This SurfnTurf thing is really pushing those OME lifts for next year. :(

Joe A.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Build a homemade CO2 set-up, it's easy and inexpensive. There are loads of write-ups on the Internet.

Go to a local welding supply shop and get a 10 or 20 lbs CO2 tank. Regulators start at $15 and can got up to $80+. The least expensive CO2 regs are usually the constant/static pressure regs. I have one that is set for 150 psi. Too high if you want to run air tools. In that case, get an adjustable reg.

Depending on the reg and make sure you get one that won't freeze up, you can air up a tire from 15 to 32 psi in under 30 sec. I believe a 10lbs CO2 tank carries enough liquid CO2 to inflate about 24 or more tires from 15-32 psi.

I bought the hose when Power Tank had a clearance, but I think you can find it at Lowes or Home Depot.
Red%20Hos-200.jpg

But you need to be sure the hose can handle the psi of the CO2 running through it. You'll also need an assortment of brass air hose fittings (male - female ones) available at Lowes/Home Depot. Teflon tape also helps to ensure a good seal.

Lastly, you'll need a tire inflator. I splurged a little and got one from Power Tank with the built in pressure gauge. With this gadget, you don't have to keep adding CO2, then stop, get the pressure gauge, attach it, then refill, and repeat the steps until you get the correct pressure.
TIG-60-co2%20200.jpg

Get a fire extinguisher bracket from Ebay to mount the tank in your truck. I got mine for $20.

My total cost were under $100 (excluding the Power Tank inflator because I wanted something alittle extra).

When you run low on CO2, check before you hit the trails, just exchange the tank at the welding shop for a new, refilled tank. My shop charges me $8 for the tank exchange.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I like the tank set-up, that may be in my future!

For now I am using the Superflow - Masterflow MV50
Got it at Checker for $25.00 just like SWR.
I was about to buy the Viair 450 for abut $250 and then found the MV50 and figured for $25 it's worth checking out.

So far its been great! Comes in a bag with pressure guage built into the unit, an coil of air hose and a screw on fitting to atach to the tire valve.

It connects to the battery via alligator clips, but I am trying to design a mount for it to be permanently mounted under the hood.

I have 265/75/16's and I run the front at 35psi and the rear at 45psi on the blacktop. To bring all four tires from 20lb back up to hwy pressure takes me about 12 minutes. I time each tire with my watch, about 2 min for front and 2.5 for the rear, and the built in pressure guage is pretty accurate as well.

The biggest downside is that it is noisy, especially when compared to a co2 tank! Also it has a limited duty cycle but should run for about 30-40 minutes before it's heat switch shuts it off. -- Oh, and sometimes I have to hit it to make it start!

Attachments

• 0116161052.jpg
    0116161052.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 0116161040.jpg
    0116161040.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 4

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I think the MV-50's are obviously a great bargain, but they have yet to prove themselves over the long-term. I also know the duty-cycle and overheating has been annoying some people. Can't beat the price though.

I have had excellent luck with my QuickAir II. It is not the fastest compressor, but I haven't had it turn off on me (filling my own and friend's tires in one session), and it has been kicking for about 6 yrs. or so. One good thing is that it doesn't weigh a whole lot (10 lbs) and is fairly small, so it's easier to find places to mount it. Anyway, just thought I would post since I think the durability has been really good over the years. It has been all over Baja and northern mexico, and the southwest US and has endured some extreme heat (I have used in the deserts in the summer while mounted in the engine bay).

CO2 is awesome if you have the space, can afford the weight, and don't mind keeping the tank filled.

QA2 article on my website

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 3
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 4

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
With a CO2 set-up, you can even blow all the dust bunnies out of your home PC and electronics. I'm sorry, but it's funny as hell to let a blast go and watch my cats race wildly upstairs.

Scott Brady

Founder
95Wheezy said:
Expedition, you noted 4 CFM. Would that be a better measurement for choosing an air compressor instead of psi?

Yes, a compressor running higher than 120-150 PSI is not required for OHV travel (the ARB locker operates from 80-105psi and tires are aired below 50psi)

PSI is a measurement of the compressors sealing and blowback capabilities, but does not reflect volume, which is the most important. The higher volume in CFM reduces inflation time and increases the options for running air tools without a tank.

For example, the ARB compressor is rated at .94 CFM (if I can remember correctly).

rionorte

Just shopping (online) around today. Some just stated psi and others stated both.
The Superflow Im interested in was 120 psi with no stated cfm and another one I saw was 140 with 1.5 cfm. Another one was rated with psi of 180 but no cfm.

BTW, stopped by Checker/Kragen auto parts (with money in hand) counter help said they dont carry them (MV50)anymore. And verified with this link:

Another Good Review

Will continue to look.

Thanks Exped. Ill use cfm instead. Joe A.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I stopped by Checker today and the guy said that did still carry them, he was just out of stock at the moment. I too had $$ in hand.

rionorte

Datrupr, after much surfing, found a site (partsamerica.com) that provides online service for the Checker, Kragen, and etc stores (same companies) and they sell the MV50 under the name Industries HV40 (closer look at image says superflow! :) ).
Checked store availability and there is one at another Kragen/Checker. Will hopefully have one tomorrow :victory: . Joe A.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Good luck Joe. let me know how it works if you get it. ScenicWonderRunner seems to be happy with his.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Word of advice!!!!

HEY :exclaim: becareful with the super flow or master flow compressors!

Here is the scoop, and please just trust me on this... I dont have time to proove my self but with enough searching you can find it. The MV-50 and the MF-1050 (at pepboys) are the same product. However the other ones are a lower model... I used to have the link to the manufature's website, but I lost it when they wipped my hard drive out at work. USE CAUTION if considering the MV-40 as it is a bit under powered in comparison to the the MV-50 and MF-1050.

Pep Boys has the MF-1050 for about 59.00 on sale once and a while... while the Checker version is scarse since its publicity and liquidation for $29.99 in July when it was discontinued. In fact I am still looking for a MV-50 in the PHX valley.

Just thought I would warn you before you buy.

Wil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94